PDA

View Full Version : Naoko's fairy wrasse

friartuuk
12/03/2015, 01:43 PM
Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a Naoko's fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus naokoae). They have one at my LFS for $80 CDN ($55 USD). I've searched in this forum and other places on the net and can't find much in the way of recent information about this species. Much of what was posted was from several years ago.

I'm particularly interest in finding out their maximum size and tank compatibility. I have one other fish, a purple fire fish, and would like to get a couple of percula clowns in the future. There is plenty of live rock for cover in the tank.

Is anyone able to update the information on this beautiful little fish?

Thank you!

twon8
12/03/2015, 03:10 PM
About 4". Make sure you have a tight fitting cover or the fish will end up on the floor

Breadman03
12/03/2015, 03:28 PM
I just saw one at my LFS for $150. They are quite pretty!

gone fishin
12/03/2015, 03:39 PM
Mine is about 3 inches right now. He is quite peaceful and gets on with all my other fishes. when he was first introduced he was a bit reclusive but as he settled down he ventured out more. I have had him about a year or so.

If it helps his current tank mates are 2 occellaris clowns, royal gramma, purple fire fish, long nose hawk fish, yellow candy hog fish, kole tang, foxface lo, solon fairy wrasse, exquisite fairy, red velvet fairy, pink margin fairy, gray head fairy wrasse.

GSMclowns
12/04/2015, 09:22 AM
That is one freaking mean fish.. when I say mean, it is actually vicious.
At first, it will be very nice to everyone else.. but as soon as it get a bit older.. It will bully any other wrasses that is smaller and weaker.. It will chase them down and give them a beating. It is not just a quick chase and nipping.. It will chase the other fishes a good couple minutes. even if the weaker fishes swim into a cave, it will follow into the caves and beat them up.

friartuuk
12/04/2015, 11:20 AM
Thanks gone fishin. You have a nice selection of fish! I wish my tank were bigger. It's only a 29 gallon so I'm very limited.

Thank you too GSMclowns. I don't have any other wrasses. Was the Naoko's aggressive towards other species as well?

Dayson
12/04/2015, 02:00 PM
I had one that had to go. He was the biggest A hole I have ever had in my tank. Relentlessly chased any fish that somewhat resembled his color or body shape. I'm sure they are not all as mean as mine was...if they were than nobody would ever buy one.

$55 is a good price for the little devil fish though.

friartuuk
12/04/2015, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the input Dayson. The only other fish I have is a purple fire fish so far. I suppose it's risky.

ca1ore
12/04/2015, 11:11 PM
Have had two. Both were beautiful, mean as hell, and motivated jumpers in a way I've not previously seen in any of my fish. First one jumped during routine maintenance and I didn't notice in time. Second one got rehomed because beauty is indeed only scales deep, and mean goes all the way to the bone.

Fish Biscuit
12/05/2015, 01:44 PM
For a 29 g your best option for a wrasse would be a possum. It does take them some time to settle in but they don't bother anyone & won't intimidate your firefish.

Some people say they are shy but I always see mine & he will cruise the tank even in the open swimming areas.

friartuuk
12/05/2015, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. As beautiful as they are, the Naoko's wrasse is off the list. I do like the idea of the possum wrasse. They aren't as pretty, IMO, but I'm looking for a fish that will swim in and out of the I've rock.

I was also thinking about a flasher wrasse. Some sites say 30 gallon is their limit but others say 55. Any thoughts on that anyone?

snorvich
12/06/2015, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. As beautiful as they are, the Naoko's wrasse is off the list. I do like the idea of the possum wrasse. They aren't as pretty, IMO, but I'm looking for a fish that will swim in and out of the I've rock.

I was also thinking about a flasher wrasse. Some sites say 30 gallon is their limit but others say 55. Any thoughts on that anyone?

Highly active fish such as flasher wrasses do best in larger tanks. And flasher wrasses are prolific jumpers.