PDA

View Full Version : Starting a 75 Gallon tank

tomreefer
12/03/2015, 07:25 PM
I wanted some suggestions for one I want the tank as of now fish only with rock. How much rock is needed?

Also pump suggestions for sump?

Also flow one WP25 good?

For a fish only a skimmer needed?

Also what kind of fish is acceptable? Tangs?

jraker
12/03/2015, 07:41 PM
a lot of hobbyists go by the rule of 1 pound of rock for every 1 gallon of water, but you don't need to do that. i have seen many tanks with more rock and tanks with less rock. the reason for live rock is for your biological filtration, because the bacteria that converts dangerous ammonia to the much more harmless nitrate lives on there. this rule was established because it is a fairly even balance between the stock of the tank and how much bacteria is actually eating the ammonia. some rock is more dense, and some rock is less dense. it really comes down to surface area in the end.

for circulation, you need a fair amount of water flow to agitate the water so gas exchange can occur. gas exchange is how fish get their oxygen. i would go with a tunze 6105, because they are controllable and are basically bulletproof. i made a thread asking what the best pump was, and someone had a full inch of coralline algae on their tunze 6105. those pumps an take abuse. even better would be 2, because you do want to put circulation through you rockwork to avoid any detritus buildup.

for a return pump, i would go with an Eheim 1260 or 1262. many people have had success with them.

for a 75 gallon tank, i would get a skimmer. if you plan to stock heavily, the skimmer will definitely help export some of the nutrients from all the fish. it is usually always recommended to get a skimmer on a tank.

i would not put any tangs in a 75 gallon tank, because many tangs get to 6"-7" or more, and yes, this includes bristletooth tangs. it is just not right to put a 7 inch fish in a tiny 75 gallon tank. fish that you could put in are dwarf angels, basslets, blennies, cardinals, clownfish, damsels, firefish, dottybacks, maybe a pygmy filefish, gobies, and wrasses.

i hope this helped!

SnoopyDaPimp
12/03/2015, 08:51 PM
As far as the flow goes I run a Jaebo RW8 on my 110g to assist the return pump. It moves the water pretty well but around the 4 ft mark the momentum slows down. Doesn't matter for me because I have two returns on both sides of my tank. I notice the waterflow when I do water changes the pump doesn't run dry from the overflow. Short answer is a RW8 would be fine that tank IMO.