PDA

View Full Version : differential candy cane health in same tank

nematode
12/03/2015, 07:26 PM
I have a growth tank with one candy cane doing great and the other
receding dramatically.
Ideas on how to treat the effected coral/ prevent spread of whatever is causing issues would be appreciated.
Ca 400 Mg 1400 PO4, NO3 0, KH 7, Sal 1.0255, pH 8.0

Mark9
12/03/2015, 07:56 PM
Kh is low, shoot for 8.4

nematode
12/03/2015, 08:29 PM
I don't think that is the issue.
When I raise KH above 7 all the corals in my tank become very dull whitish. everything. Things color up much better around 6-7 KH.
I am dripping vodka/acetic acid mix into the system.

As many others have noticed in this situation a high (9-11 KH) often does not work well.

This also does not explain the fact that I have multiple other candy canes, montiporas, and hammerhead corals all doing fine. Only this one is having issues.

I don't think its current either because I swapped the positions of the coral doing well and the one doing poor and that has not made a difference.

2 months ago both looked great.

this is a specific effect on a single coral in my system. I do not formally know that the two frags are from the same mother, but I suspect so, since I bought them at the same time from the same store.

polaravic
12/03/2015, 09:04 PM
Look for a parasite or a hitch hiker attached to the coral. This happened to my Frogspawn. Parts of it kept dying off. Then, one day I saw a worm emerging out the the rock/base of the coral waving around one of the coral's tentacles which was already looking sickly. I smeared some 2-part epoxy over the 'worm's hole and the problem disappeared.

polaravic

nematode
12/03/2015, 09:20 PM
Should I do a coral X or levamisole, or bayer's dip
Or all three
That would wipe out a lot of potential pests