PDA

View Full Version : Power outage

nmotz
12/03/2015, 11:20 PM
Endured my first power outage since setting up the tank in March of this year. Woke up at 6am to find no power in the whole house. What a helpless feeling that was. Went into the tank room and the water temperature was already down about 5 degrees so I knew the power had been out for a while. I found out after calling the electric company that it had gone out at 230am, so my tank was completely stagnant for almost 4 hours.

That's definitely testing the limits of survival for most aquarium livestock. For those who may not know, dissolved oxygen gradually gets used up in the tank and without any water movement/nothing to break the water surface and mix in fresh oxygen, many aquarium inhabitants will begin to have problems after a couple hours. I was really lucky. I have a peppermint shrimp, a few hermits and a fire shrimp with my O. Scyllarus and everything was ok.

I did mix the water up really good about 630am. Just got a 2 gallon bucket and began scooping up the water and pouring it back into the tank over and over. I did the same with my 5G tank. Power finally came back on just after 7am.

Scary thing for sure. I think I'll go out and get a batter powered bubbler or something to keep air circulating in case of another power outage.

EI Gringo
12/04/2015, 01:00 AM
Wouldn't have thought in a relatively understocked stomatopod tank 4 hours would be anywhere near a dangerous length of time for oxygen depletion, that 5 degree temp swing is worrying though. My lfs when they get in a stomatopod for me they put it in a 25L bucket of sw without any water movement and they water change it each day, you're talking a fully adult peacock in at least a quarter the amount of water it would be in the main tank

nmotz
12/04/2015, 11:11 AM
Maybe stomatopods are more resilient to oxygen depletion then? I've read elsewhere that a lack of dissolved oxygen is often the real killer when the power goes out even though many people think that it's more because of the inevitable drop in temperature. I guess it's difficult to know exactly.

At any rate my 40B only got down to maybe 73F. My little 5G on the other hand dropped down into the 60s. That was much more scary and I'm actually surprised that nothing in that tank died. I thought for sure my Harlequin or one of my Sexy shrimp wouldn't make it.

EI Gringo
12/04/2015, 11:32 PM
73f is perfectly fine but down in the 60s for a sustained period is dangerous for sure. It all depends on how heavily stocked the tank is regarding oxygen and a mantis shrimp tank is very understocked when compared to a mixed reef. 40 gallons of water for one animal means that it would take a much longer period to cause harm.

Kharn
12/05/2015, 03:42 AM
you can buy large battery charged air pumps I bought 2 because of where I am situated in a very rural / jungle environment far from modern civilization and mores to the point...frequent with power outs.

The 2 I bought can last 48hrs each on their rechargeable batteries and have 4 air line outputs.

EI Gringo
12/06/2015, 02:00 PM
I have a battery air pump too but in 3 years I haven't once used it :L

Calappidae
12/07/2015, 08:12 AM
Thankfully none of my power outages lasted longer than a few hours to get scary.

However I have had my share of long trips coming home to shut down aquariums just because there are just way too many things running at once in one outlet.

Especially christmas season whenever there are additional lights attached to the same room's current. I look forward to this year since there is now an additional freezer adding to what struggled already last year.

bryhan67
12/22/2015, 06:05 PM
I wonder if a computer backup power with air pump set up would work. So when the power cuts the pump turns on. Like emergence lights.

carmelpi
12/24/2015, 07:40 PM
I don't stress about my big fowlr (with sump 300g volume) unless the power is out for an extended time (10+ hours) but my little breeder that was Ripley's home will get the water poured in and out.