PDA

View Full Version : Brown Brown Brown!!!

JMcGarva
12/05/2015, 11:15 AM
Hey guys. Ive had my tank up and going for alittle over a year now. Recently, like within the last 2-3 months I got new lights. They are the Sunspects 165W LEDs from ebay. I order two for my 48" 75 gal tank.

It seems ever since I got those lights, my brown in my sand has increases... heavily. As in, before these lights it could take 2 weeks or more to see a little patch of brown. Now, I did my water change yesterday, and its brown across the whole tank within 24 hours. It looks TERRIBLE. What is going on? I have snails, conch, etcs. They cant keep up.

I dont know if it has anything to do with the lights, I just through it out there being thats the only change to the tank.

Any ideas? Thanks

JMcGarva
12/05/2015, 11:18 AM
I know it looks purple, thats because of the lights but its brown.. The lights are set to only 50%

joshky
12/05/2015, 11:25 AM
Ran the same lights over my old 20g and never had your issue.

It may be a coincidence or perhaps the added light output is causing it to grow quicker. I know you were probably fishing for people to tell you the lights suck and to replace them, but as someone with direct experience with these fixtures I can tell you the lights aren't the only problem but perhaps only a piece of the puzzle.

You need to list your parameters, take a close up photo of the algae with your blues completely turned down, and then hopefully I or somebody else can point you in the right direction for your tank.

Unless it's dinos I wouldn't worry at all, enjoy your tank, algae is free food and a light dusting of diatoms on your sand will eventually go away.

JMcGarva
12/05/2015, 11:47 AM
Ran the same lights over my old 20g and never had your issue.

It may be a coincidence or perhaps the added light output is causing it to grow quicker. I know you were probably fishing for people to tell you the lights suck and to replace them, but as someone with direct experience with these fixtures I can tell you the lights aren't the only problem but perhaps only a piece of the puzzle.

You need to list your parameters, take a close up photo of the algae with your blues completely turned down, and then hopefully I or somebody else can point you in the right direction for your tank.

Unless it's dinos I wouldn't worry at all, enjoy your tank, algae is free food and a light dusting of diatoms on your sand will eventually go away.

I would hope no one would bash my lights. I mean, sure they arent the best, but they are better then what I had. There is always going to be something bigger and better out there. Sorry Im not THAT guy that has everything. I am still learning this hobby and I come on here to get help and answers.

I will try and retake the photo.

Thanks for your assistance.

homer1475
12/05/2015, 11:52 AM
If its light dusting of brown, its more then likely just diatoms. Increase flow over the sandbed and watch what your putting in the tank.

Your lights probably have more PAR at the sandbed then your old lights, and it will fuel the diatom bloom. I know its unsightly, but it will eventually go away.

Listing your parameters would help to diagnose the diatom bloom, but what usually clears it up, is just increasing flow over the sandbed, or just letting it run its course.

joshky
12/05/2015, 12:10 PM
I would hope no one would bash my lights. I mean, sure they arent the best, but they are better then what I had. There is always going to be something bigger and better out there. Sorry Im not THAT guy that has everything. I am still learning this hobby and I come on here to get help and answers.

I will try and retake the photo.

Thanks for your assistance.

Trust me, those lights are fine. Perfect? No, but they'll get the job done. I've had my fixture running for over a year now and it's still working. Though mileage may vary, these are cheaply put together Chinese fixtures so don't be upset if you only get a year out of them.

If its light dusting of brown, its more then likely just diatoms. Increase flow over the sandbed and watch what your putting in the tank.

Your lights probably have more PAR at the sandbed then your old lights, and it will fuel the diatom bloom. I know its unsightly, but it will eventually go away.

Listing your parameters would help to diagnose the diatom bloom, but what usually clears it up, is just increasing flow over the sandbed, or just letting it run its course.

Well said, as long as it's just diatoms it's a non-issue IMO.

chimmike
12/05/2015, 04:06 PM
How much flow do you have? no powerheads listed in your sig

polaravic
12/05/2015, 04:22 PM
Any kind of change made to a system can cause an upset.

You may just have to 're balance' your system which can involve any number of things including the above advice which is where you start first.

polaravic