PDA

View Full Version : Dying Derasa?

Kizzy911
12/05/2015, 11:16 PM
I've had this as a 5 inch and he was doing amazing, i've had him for about 2-3 months and he was doing fine under Odyssey t5 lighting. Now he's retracted and his mouth is a bit open, he just started being like this today. Yesterday this dude was fine and his mantles were out and about and he was fat. Thoughts? thanks:idea:

Reefers4U
12/05/2015, 11:30 PM
that's no bueno -

check your params stat.

how's your calc?

What lights are you using?

it helps to know all these things

Kizzy911
12/05/2015, 11:52 PM
that's no bueno -

check your params stat.

how's your calc?

What lights are you using?

it helps to know all these things

Any way i can save him or no?

MondoBongo
12/06/2015, 08:47 PM
these guys are pretty tough to save once they start showing extreme signs of stress.

were there any other indicators?

how was the shell growth edge?
anyone picking on it?

how far was it from the lights? derasa have pretty lax light requirements compared to other Tridacna's, but still require a good bit of light compared to other photosynthetic inverts like corals.

how is the water quality looking in the tank? alkalinity, calcium, magnesium all being regularly maintained and supplemented?

any other clams in the systems? any of them showing stress? what was your qt protocol, have you checked closely for snails around the foot?

MondoBongo
12/06/2015, 08:55 PM
so i just noticed your other threads in the other sub forums. looks like you're having quite a lot of problems with your tanks at the moment.

it sounds like you're using copper in at least one of your tanks. none of this copper or copper contaminated equipment made it in to the tank with the clam in it, did it? that would do a good job of killing it.

i have a feeling there are some serious issues with your rigs that will need addressed before you start trying to keep more sensitive animals like clams. again, from your previous posts in other sections it seems like you just set up your first tank 4 - 5 months ago, then immediately got this clam?

Kizzy911
12/06/2015, 08:55 PM
All parameters are good. No supplements, lighting is sock bulbs from odyssey t5 lighting. Tank is currently fishless, after having it for about 3-4 months i actually haven't seen it grow much. There were aster snails on his shell but it's happened da couple of times. He was also at the bottom sanded of the tank (17 inches deep)

He actually didn't make it and had to pull him out :/

MondoBongo
12/07/2015, 06:16 AM
Lack of light is probably one issue that contributed to this demise, but judging by your other threads there are likely additional issues.

"Good" parameters without supplements in a tank with clams is an oxymoron. These guys soak up all and cal like sponges.

Reefers4U
12/21/2015, 05:08 PM
Lack of light is probably one issue that contributed to this demise, but judging by your other threads there are likely additional issues.

"Good" parameters without supplements in a tank with clams is an oxymoron. These guys soak up all and cal like sponges.

+1 doesn't sounds like OP gave the clam a chance.

cichlidsrcool
12/24/2015, 03:28 PM
good luck but doesn't look good to me