PDA

View Full Version : knowing your animals

Fish Keeper82
12/06/2015, 04:34 PM
Just thought I'd share a story of mine today. I have a blue tang who is usually very active. Today he was not out and about swimming. I could see him in his sleeping place in the rocks and he was moving but just barely. I begin to think something must be wrong with him I fed the tank he did not come out, now I really thought something was wrong. I fed the tank a couple hours later and he still had not come out of there. I thought what if he's stuck which was my best case scenario i thought he might be sick. So I started moving the rocks around and that actually freed him up.

He's been in the same rocks every night since i set up this tank and had out grown his bed.
So i moved the aquascaping slightly to give him more room.

I thought he might be sick when he was in the rocks and didn't want to eat. When i freed him you could tell he was scared . He just swam in the same spot with all his spines flared out for about 5mins. When he calmed down and i fed the tank....he ate quite a bit like normal and has been his usual self since. He had a slight cut on one side and head.

Know your animals...... you just might save them. I can't imagine if I'd waited till tomorrow. I've had him for 6 years:fish1:

Bogue Chitto
12/06/2015, 08:19 PM
Good story, I know what you are talking about. I pretty well know where my fish are and what their usual behavior is. I try to monitor them as close as I can. After all they depend on us for most of their needs.

KMS.Kyle
12/07/2015, 01:05 AM
Same here - I love watching each of my fish and coming up with ways to add to their interests and behaviors.

That said - Funny story from last night, my Wrasse was off to bed at 10:40 ish, (usually in bed by 10:30) - she was staying up to get some food and I forgot to dump it into the tank - I left the room and ran back minutes later and she was already digging her bed - I tapped the glass a few times and she swam up eye to eye and we acknowledged that I forgot and here's her dinner.

Its so amazing to share a relationship with them.

Bogue Chitto
12/07/2015, 08:32 PM
Fish are pretty smart...