PDA

View Full Version : Trio of Royal Gramma's

Dakbur
12/06/2015, 07:43 PM
Would it be possible to keep a Trio of Royal Gramma's in my 15G Reef tank? If not what would be a good Fish Species that would could be stocked in harems?

Dakbur
12/06/2015, 08:30 PM
Anyone?

GOSKN5
12/06/2015, 08:34 PM
As the only fish? Probably so... add all at once

Dakbur
12/06/2015, 08:36 PM
Yes they would be the only inhabitants. I was just seeing what the consensus would be on this idea.

Breakthecycle2
12/06/2015, 08:37 PM
I think it would be a little small, no?

Dakbur
12/06/2015, 08:39 PM
I was just thinking with about 20-25 pound of live rock and the only inhabitants in the aquarium. It could be possible?

GOSKN5
12/06/2015, 08:41 PM
I think it's enough room... as only fish as long as they get along.. in the wild they live on big groups

Dakbur
12/06/2015, 08:45 PM
Anyone else want to chime in with their Experiences with this idea?

sreefs
12/06/2015, 09:49 PM
They get nasty with each other, a 15 gallon would not give them enough room to each stake out there own space. I will almost guarantee it will not turn out well. I had 3 in a 135 and it was touch and go for a while.

Dakbur
12/06/2015, 10:13 PM
Any recommendations for fish that can be kept in harems?

ThRoewer
12/06/2015, 11:57 PM
I had 3 grammas in a 10 gallon QT for over 6 month before transferring them to my 40B sump tank.

All you got to do is to get small ones that are still all females.

Also, while in the 10 gallon QT they were at times together with 2 marine betas (small ones) and a pair of percula. No issues whatsoever.

The only problem with them in the 40B is that only see the smallest female. The male and the larger female only come out of the live rock pile for feedings. The rest of the time they are somewhere in a cave, from the looks of it I guess they are trying to make more little grammas :D

fearyaks
12/07/2015, 12:31 AM
I think the issue might be when they get full grown. I've seen some surprisingly large Grammas and I can't even imagine what three in one 15 gallon will do.

However, let's be honest here. It sounds like you're pretty much going to do it anyway so I guess I'd say get lots of caves/rocks so they can carve out their own territory and have places to hide in case things get rough.

ThRoewer
12/07/2015, 12:34 AM
Any recommendations for fish that can be kept in harems?

Many dwarf angels and all the pygmy angels.
Some large angels
Marine beta (you either need to be able to sex them or start with specimen that are no larger than 3 inch in total)
All Anthias
Many Damsels
Grammas (though it seems to me you may just get a pair and the rest is tolerated)
Mandarin fish may work as well as females tolerate each other and males don't attack females.

There are likely more.

ThRoewer
12/07/2015, 12:40 AM
I think the issue might be when they get full grown. I've seen some surprisingly large Grammas and I can't even imagine what three in one 15 gallon will do.

However, let's be honest here. It sounds like you're pretty much going to do it anyway so I guess I'd say get lots of caves/rocks so they can carve out their own territory and have places to hide in case things get rough.

Only the male will get really large, mine is by now a giant. But the females will stay smaller.

Though keeping them long term in a 15 gallon tank may not be a good idea.

Grkgod36
12/07/2015, 12:57 AM
I got 2 grammas and a black cap basslet , all spent time in at together . Now they are in my 90 . And they all hang together all day every day they took over the left side of the tank I have about 120 lbs of live rock too. No issues what so ever . Some of my favorite fish for sure love them

Taahirs
12/07/2015, 01:07 AM
Trio of Possum wrasse will be cool.

Dakbur
12/07/2015, 07:50 AM
i hate how people always assume the worst in people. I was just re-asking my question because there was only 3 responses for 2 hours of it being up, and I wanted people to know that i was still interested in their experiences while I was sleeping. But thank you guys for the responses!

Dakbur
12/07/2015, 10:05 AM
I have a 90 Gallon that they would be transferred too, once they get larger. Just looking for a pair or trio of a smaller fish species for the time being in my coral tank.

Tabasco
12/07/2015, 11:35 AM
How long would they be in the 15 before transferring over to the 90?

I'm trying to pair up 2 grammas now. I did a lot of looking into how to do it. Most accounts said one small and one medium. So that is what I did. They are in my 16 gallon qt tank now for 5 days. One is out a good bit, one hides a good bit. They do seem to get along and even share a cave. Fingers crossed.

I'd say if the long term plan is to move them into a 90 then go for it. Just be very observant and if any aggression starts up be ready to move one.

I found conflicting information on if they are protogynous hermaphrodites or determinate. Initially what I was seeing is that they are protogynous, but later and on mofib it seemed to indicate that was not true and that they were determinate... so I don't know that I would rely on the fact that they all start out as females.

Know that is not an answer, but that is what I found. If someone DOES know the answer, please share!

Dakbur
12/07/2015, 11:43 AM
After they get to about 2 inchs in length, they would be moved to the 90 gallon.

Dakbur
12/07/2015, 12:03 PM
Any other fish that can be kept in a harem in a 15G?

polleke
12/07/2015, 12:20 PM
Maybe some assessors?

Breakthecycle2
12/07/2015, 12:36 PM
Many dwarf angels and all the pygmy angels.
Some large angels
Marine beta (you either need to be able to sex them or start with specimen that are no larger than 3 inch in total)
All Anthias
Many Damsels
Grammas (though it seems to me you may just get a pair and the rest is tolerated)
Mandarin fish may work as well as females tolerate each other and males don't attack females.

There are likely more.

Dwarfs and Pygmy's can be kept in harems?

Tabasco
12/07/2015, 12:41 PM
I don't think there are many options... maybe mollies that are saltwater acclimated? There are some really pretty sailfin variations.

ThRoewer
12/07/2015, 12:54 PM
Dwarfs and Pygmy's can be kept in harems?

Sure. I had a group of 4 C. argi and they did excellent.
All pygmy angels live in harem groups in the wild. The same goes for most dwarf angels, but some of them only live in pairs, like C. bicolor for example.

Dakbur
12/07/2015, 01:09 PM
But i am asking in regards to a 15 Gallon Aquarium. The Dwarf angels would be too crowded in that size of a tank.

ThRoewer
12/07/2015, 01:18 PM
With a 15 gallon tank you will be limited to very small fish - neon gobies and the like.
Grammas will only work short term and only if you get small juveniles.

Dakbur
12/07/2015, 01:23 PM
I would think that Angels would be too crowded in a 15 Gallon. Would that not be too small for them?

Dakbur
12/07/2015, 01:25 PM
Sorry double post

fearyaks
12/07/2015, 01:41 PM
Assessors could work.. I did have a pair that bickered though which is odd because normally they're pretty mellow.

Apologies for assuming you were going to go through with the Grammas... I underestimated you.

Maybe get some of those cool little green/red gobies that ORA offers if you're looking to stock your 15 gallon long term?