PDA

View Full Version : Flex pvc pipe

dieselfish89
12/06/2015, 10:47 PM
I have a question on the topic of flex pvc pipe. I have always ran my tanks with ridged pvc. Now I purchased a ocean motions unit and want with flex pvc. The local hardware store told me to use a medium flex grade glue with a standard primer. The joints seem loose I'm slightly nervous about putting water to them. Any thoughts?

BillNye
12/06/2015, 11:11 PM
I think you'll be fine - make sure you coat everything really well. I have flex pipe coming down from my returns with no problems. At first, I was scared the slight curve of the flex pipe would aid in leaks but so far so good!

Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't work go back to non flex.

Curious why you want flex pvc for just that part?

CHizer
12/07/2015, 01:25 AM
I used the same pipe and mine seemed to fit tight. It feels pretty rigid for the first 2" near the connections. If they feel loose be ready to turn the pumps back off.

I don't remember what glue I used. Maybe that's the difference?

dieselfish89
12/07/2015, 06:24 AM
I think you'll be fine - make sure you coat everything really well. I have flex pipe coming down from my returns with no problems. At first, I was scared the slight curve of the flex pipe would aid in leaks but so far so good!

Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't work go back to non flex.

Curious why you want flex pvc for just that part?

I want with flex down here due to the way the ocean motions outlets aim in weird directions. To many bands.

tangified
12/07/2015, 10:36 AM
I plumbed my entire tank with the Ultra Flex PVC. Yes the fitting are quite loose, but if you prime and glue properly there will be no issues. Frankly I don't know why we even use rigid PVC is our applications anymore with the availability of flex so cheap via amazon.

dieselfish89
12/07/2015, 10:39 AM
I plumbed my entire tank with the Ultra Flex PVC. Yes the fitting are quite loose, but if you prime and glue properly there will be no issues. Frankly I don't know why we even use rigid PVC is our applications anymore with the availability of flex so cheap via amazon.

Sounds good thank you. I agree the Flex pvc is more user Friendly and odd cone down in price.