PDA

View Full Version : False Percula laid eggs

90tanknj
12/07/2015, 06:50 AM
So the Saturday before my pair of False Percula clowns laid eggs. Waited till SFriday watched the eggs as they changed from yellow to darker greenish color. When the eyes turned silvery and the eggs became transparent I moved them to a breeder tank that I set up using main tank water with an air stone.
Saturday I had couple hatched. Same with Sunday. Looking at the eggs Sunday evening I see a lot of them did not hatch and dead in the sack. Attached are some pictures. I have been feeding the live ones rotifers. My question I have maybe 20 live ones and wondering how much to feed them, how often? And how much water chance?

90tanknj
12/07/2015, 06:53 AM
Here are some more pictures

90tanknj
12/07/2015, 06:56 AM
More pictures I am not sure why I can not upload multiple pictures

Dkuhlmann
12/07/2015, 07:34 AM
You can actually do 5 in each post. Just keep selecting them before you close the add window. They have to be selected and uploaded one at a time and it will not let you do 6.

ginpang
12/07/2015, 07:47 AM
Looks like inadequate ventilating either from the parents and /or from the air stone.
Sorry can't help you with feeding quantity seeing that all my attempts so far were not successful on account of Rotifers that were too large.

My guess would be a little bit very often throughout the day...
Let's wait and see if someone has an answer for you!
But it doubtful anyone has it down to a science, perhaps large scale commercial breeders but the quantities may be ( stupidly speaking) a bucket of food for a barrel containing 600 larvea every 4 hours type thing...so kinda difficult to scale down to 20 larvea in a 10 or 20 gal tank example.

shifty51008
12/08/2015, 03:02 PM
You want to make sure there are enough rotifers in the tank that there is a rotifer within 2-3 fry lengths from them.

Hopefully that made sence.

ginpang
12/08/2015, 06:03 PM
You want to make sure there are enough rotifers in the tank that there is a rotifer within 2-3 fry lengths from them.

Hopefully that made sence.

Lol I'm confused!?
Do you mean enough that there is always rots near fry?

Or Do you mean if a fry is 2.5 mm it takes for example 15 Rotifers to match the length therefore each fry should have 30 to 45 rots each?

shifty51008
12/08/2015, 06:52 PM
Lol yes basically you want enough rots around the fry that they can always see one within the length of their body as they are poor hunters and their eyes havent fully developed yet

ginpang
12/11/2015, 05:39 PM
[emoji106]🏼 make sense thanks for the input. Though I'm pretty sure that's not quite the answer he was hoping for.

shifty51008
12/11/2015, 09:36 PM
When i raise mine i will use a 10 gal tank filled with maybe 3-4 gal of parent water, a heater with a bubble wand underneath and an airstone toward the front that was used to keep the eggs on the tile in motion. I will tint the water a light green with rgcomplete and use 5 sheets of paper to dim the main lights. I will feed rotifers once in the morning and once at night so to make sure there are enough in the tank for the fry. I will also use a 1/4" airline to syphon out any dead fry or rotifers twice a day replaceing water from the parent tank, i use a ammonia badge to keep an eye on ammonia and if it starts to rise i will use amquil to lower it until the fry are at least 4-5 days old, after that then i do water changes with nsw to keep ammonia in check.