PDA

View Full Version : Look for some advice/critique on sps

mfaso24
12/07/2015, 04:48 PM
I have 2 photos that I have some questions on.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/07/dfc7c09437393dc952fdfb235073dd59.jpg
This is a birds nest I've had since January 2014. It looks healthy (to me at least) but it hasn't grown a lick since I've got it. I'm just curious if it looks unhealthy to any of you experts out there and maybe I'm not looking for something.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/07/42a4309e066d8397cc27fac902dbfd96.jpg
This is an acro frag I got about a month ago. Is this browning or is this "paleing" in color.
The branches don't seem very colorful, but the base hasn't lost any of its blue color.

swk
12/07/2015, 04:52 PM
With the pale colors and the cleanliness of your rock, I'm going to guess that your tank is very low in nutrients and is possibly lit by LEDs?

Some test results and setup info would be helpful as well. Not much to go on with pics alons

mfaso24
12/07/2015, 05:28 PM
With the pale colors and the cleanliness of your rock, I'm going to guess that your tank is very low in nutrients and is possibly lit by LEDs?

Some test results and setup info would be helpful as well. Not much to go on with pics alons

Tank is lit with Kessil ap700 leds. I setup my original tank in May 2014 but upgraded to my current tank in October of this year. I used half of my live rock and half of new dry rock (hence the clean rock)

Regarding my readings:
Alk runs about 7dkh
Calc 400
Mag I honestly have never tested for
Nitrate 0
Phos 0 -api so this is worthless to me
Salinity 1.026

I don't know how much I trust any of my test kits anyway since it's all api but I will be switching to more reliable test kits later this month.

mfaso24
12/07/2015, 05:31 PM
By the way, can anyone give an ID of the acro?

swk
12/07/2015, 05:39 PM
Well, if you want to diagnose issues and/or succeed with your sps, then I would invest in some decent test kits. Off hand - the no3 and po4 numbers would coincide with what I see in the pics.

mfaso24
12/07/2015, 05:45 PM
Well, if you want to diagnose issues and/or succeed with your sps, then I would invest in some decent test kits. Off hand - the no3 and po4 numbers would coincide with what I see in the pics.

That's a fair assessment. Thanks

nemodan
12/07/2015, 07:23 PM
The bird nest looks healthy with the polyps out and with color. The acro can be pale due to the low nutrient of your tank. But is not dead or going bad (for what I can see in 1 picture only a little bit out of focus). Polyps are also out.

So.....How many fish do you have ?

A full tank picture will also help, to see your bioload.

Cheers

Ps: the bird nest has growing tip in almost all branches....good.

mfaso24
12/07/2015, 07:49 PM
The bird nest looks healthy with the polyps out and with color. The acro can be pale due to the low nutrient of your tank. But is not dead or going bad (for what I can see in 1 picture only a little bit out of focus). Polyps are also out.

So.....How many fish do you have ?

A full tank picture will also help, to see your bioload.

Cheers

Ps: the bird nest has growing tip in almost all branches....good.

Bioload is slim to none. Have a clown and just added 2 blue reef chromis and a baby hippo tang yesterday.

I realize the birdsnest has the white growth tips, but trust me, it's been like that since the day I got it and hasn't grown [emoji20]

nemodan
12/07/2015, 08:17 PM
Bioload is slim to none. Have a clown and just added 2 blue reef chromis and a baby hippo tang yesterday.

I realize the birdsnest has the white growth tips, but trust me, it's been like that since the day I got it and hasn't grown [emoji20]

If it is a 5 G tank that is a lot. If it is a 100 G tank is nothing. Plus you only have those 2 corals ?

Can you please provide full details if your system. If the BN hasn't growth in one year then something is not totally correct.

Please, do as requested. Full data of your tank and parameters with reliable test kits.

Best !

mfaso24
12/07/2015, 08:42 PM
If it is a 5 G tank that is a lot. If it is a 100 G tank is nothing. Plus you only have those 2 corals ?

Can you please provide full details if your system. If the BN hasn't growth in one year then something is not totally correct.

Please, do as requested. Full data of your tank and parameters with reliable test kits.

Best !

75g display 40breeder sump
Running Kessil ap700
Skimmer and chaeto for export (was running gfo and carbon but took that offline)
Calcium runs about 400
Alk 7
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 0
Weekly 10-15g wc
Don't dose (yet) as there is low coral stock
I will throw up a fts tomorrow when the day lights are on so you can get a better idea of what I am working with

btb72
12/07/2015, 10:38 PM
No nutrients for the corals.

nemodan
12/08/2015, 12:00 AM
75g display 40breeder sump
Running Kessil ap700
Skimmer and chaeto for export (was running gfo and carbon but took that offline)
Calcium runs about 400
Alk 7
Ph 8.1
Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 0
Weekly 10-15g wc
Don't dose (yet) as there is low coral stock
I will throw up a fts tomorrow when the day lights are on so you can get a better idea of what I am working with

Thank you !

Similar setup as mine in tank size and I have a 40 Breeder as fuge.

My conclusion is the same that was just posted. Corals need food and privide it by increasing the fish number slowly and feeding well.

I have 17 fish and lots of corals. My parameters are like yours, as well as the WC. I have T5.

mfaso24
12/08/2015, 06:31 AM
Ok sounds good to me. I've been feeding some roti feast every few days trying to get some nutrients up

C.Eymann
12/08/2015, 08:09 AM
You said you added a blue hippo? 75 gal is way too small for a hippo, I would take it back/ rehome it.

Also do you have an idea on how stable your parameters are? Your alk is currently at 7?? thats considered a tad bit low, do you have an idea how much it fluctuates between waterchanges without dosing?

What are you currently using as far as water movement/ flow?

I do agree with others that your system is too clean and that is why your colors are a bit washed out, however I would be looking into other ways in addition to upping the nutirents to improve color and growth.

mfaso24
12/08/2015, 09:52 AM
Does low nutrients have an impact on coraline growth?

mfaso24
12/08/2015, 09:54 AM
You said you added a blue hippo? 75 gal is way too small for a hippo, I would take it back/ rehome it.

Also do you have an idea on how stable your parameters are? Your alk is currently at 7?? thats considered a tad bit low, do you have an idea how much it fluctuates between waterchanges without dosing?

What are you currently using as far as water movement/ flow?

I do agree with others that your system is too clean and that is why your colors are a bit washed out, however I would be looking into other ways in addition to upping the nutirents to improve color and growth.

Alk is pretty darn stable between WCs since there's not too much coral to use it up. And for flow I'm using a wp 25 on a pulse and a wp10 on random mode. Water flow is solid I have no concern of that being an issue.

nemodan
12/08/2015, 01:48 PM
Also do you have an idea on how stable your parameters are? Your alk is currently at 7?? thats considered a tad bit low, .

7 dkh is a very good level for his conditions.

And 15 G WC do not change the Alk at all.

Beside that, his SPS do not show any issue of Alk stress.

Cheers !

mfaso24
12/08/2015, 02:36 PM

Cheers !

The salt I use also has a dkh of 7-9 so that helps

mfaso24
12/08/2015, 02:47 PM
As promised here's a FTS along with some coral close ups. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/08/3bb0a5f2f0ab7fbdb329401bc9679738.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/08/3da6e5a9cfd83b329d91ee12091da8bf.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/08/dc7ea01aa66b5aa56b5cdc678c94be8c.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/08/16c1f4e8c4771f5397f899e5e31fcbbd.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/08/b6110c448a7a3229c531397913f4ec12.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/08/eac90a31d91d19f6da9bc7b1c255a560.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/08/b74a9db4f80f14bc93e8eb7fa25b5d49.jpg
The corals on the sand bed were added on Sunday and are just acclimating to the light

nemodan
12/08/2015, 05:39 PM
That tank is empty !!!! ...... LOL.

Ok...I will suggest you continue your rutine. Add more corals and fish " not all together". Start to feed well. Keep an eye on P. and N. levels. The trick is to increase them with a good exportation.

Don't worry more for that frag color for now, but it can be the control for your tank evolution.

Measure Alk let say today at XX time. Measure it again in 3 days at the same XX time and before your WC. Record the use. And depending on the decay it will come the time for start dosing Alk and Ca. Mg will be replenish with the 10-15% weekly WC.

If your P and N start to increase then you will need to find the way to keep them in line......time will come.

Best
Daniel

Ps: do you clean the tank glass every minute... LOL
How can be they are soo clean ? There isn't one spot of coraline algae in the plastic of the overflow.

mfaso24
12/08/2015, 07:39 PM
That tank is empty !!!! ...... LOL.

Ok...I will suggest you continue your rutine. Add more corals and fish " not all together". Start to feed well. Keep an eye on P. and N. levels. The trick is to increase them with a good exportation.

Don't worry more for that frag color for now, but it can be the control for your tank evolution.

Measure Alk let say today at XX time. Measure it again in 3 days at the same XX time and before your WC. Record the use. And depending on the decay it will come the time for start dosing Alk and Ca. Mg will be replenish with the 10-15% weekly WC.

If your P and N start to increase then you will need to find the way to keep them in line......time will come.

Best
Daniel

Ps: do you clean the tank glass every minute... LOL
How can be they are soo clean ? There isn't one spot of coraline algae in the plastic of the overflow.

Haha yeah it's a somewhat new setup! I told you it was barron. And no I don't clean the glass every minute lol probably every week-week and a half. And no coraline growth yet =\.

Thank you though. Your description was probably the best/most descriptive advice I had gotten so far.

C.Eymann
12/08/2015, 07:56 PM

Cheers !

along with spslvr don't really buy into the whole " low nutrients means coral are more susceptible to alk burn" theory.
If his alk is 7 and stays at 7 consistently between w/c he is okay, but most do best with a bit of a buffer zone aka 8-10.

this is my opinion and probably shouldn't be considered advice on his part.

mfaso24
12/08/2015, 08:14 PM
along with spslvr don't really buy into the whole " low nutrients means coral are more susceptible to alk burn" theory.

If his alk is 7 and stays at 7 consistently between w/c he is okay, but most do best with a bit of a buffer zone aka 8-10.

this is my opinion and probably shouldn't be considered advice on his part.

I actually want to get it up to 8 but I'm switching to a more reliable test kit in a few weeks and don't want to start dosing until I'm using that test kit.

nemodan
12/08/2015, 08:31 PM
I actually want to get it up to 8 but I'm switching to a more reliable test kit in a few weeks and don't want to start dosing until I'm using that test kit.

If you plan to continue with low nutrients I will advice no more than 8. My tank has been all 2015 between 6.5 to 7.5 . The last ~ 6 months was at 7.5 average.

Take a look to my thread ..... Not long, with lots of pictures. See the last 2 pages

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2522791

Cheers
Daniel

But !!!! Nothing is written in stone. Follow what is best for your tank. And if that is an Alk > than 8 then do it. At the end observing every day your corals carefully will be the best test kit !!!!

mfaso24
12/27/2015, 03:49 PM
Just ran a phosphorous ulr test using Hanna checker and it read 0ppb. Um is that even possible??

fishresponse
12/28/2015, 01:20 AM
I was like you with your corals once too. Once I started spot feeding the corals with a good frozen food like some of Rods food, I started seeing colors and growth. I also ensured the corals were getting the right light. I used to have LEDs and switched bc I wanted better color. I'm not saying your light is an issue. From what I've read your light is top of the line but since it's new it's hard to say what results will be. If you keep your chemistry stable (pH, alk, Mg, salinity, temp) and play with your P and N to find what will work then another idea would be to play with your lighting intensity.

mfaso24
01/05/2016, 03:35 PM
What is a "normal" amount of time between glass cleanings in a healthy tank in your guys opinion?

gus6464
01/05/2016, 05:05 PM
My parameters are very close to yours with my hanna ULR phosphorous reading 0 as well. From the looks of it you are not feeding your corals. I have little corals but 4 fish and I feed my tank a lot. This is what I do every day:

1 frozen cube each of Formula 1 and Formula 2
3 drops of Coral Vitalizer
5ml of Aquavitro Fuel

I have to scrape my tank walls every 2 days and my skimmer pulls out some serious filth. I feed my SPS just as much as I feed my fish. Now that Aquaforest is back in stock in Amazon I ordered Coral A and Coral V so I will start feeding that every other day and flip flop with the Fuel.

mfaso24
01/05/2016, 05:49 PM
My parameters are very close to yours with my hanna ULR phosphorous reading 0 as well. From the looks of it you are not feeding your corals. I have little corals but 4 fish and I feed my tank a lot. This is what I do every day:

1 frozen cube each of Formula 1 and Formula 2
3 drops of Coral Vitalizer
5ml of Aquavitro Fuel

I have to scrape my tank walls every 2 days and my skimmer pulls out some serious filth. I feed my SPS just as much as I feed my fish. Now that Aquaforest is back in stock in Amazon I ordered Coral A and Coral V so I will start feeding that every other day and flip flop with the Fuel.

I've since stocked my tank with fish and been feeding quite heavy handed as well as broadcast feeding roti feast every few days. My phosphates FINALLY crept up to 4 ppb. I'm gonna ease up feeding a bit to limit algae growth but most of my corals seem to be doing well, so we'll see how it goes. I think I've gained some color in the acro I pictures earlier in this post but it's hard to tell.

mfaso24
01/05/2016, 05:56 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/05/a4c8547ae22a5249be1c3321093f1af1.jpg
Here's a picture of it now. Looks a little more colored when viewed top down. The only thing is I've noticed recently that I have been getting no polyp extension during the day anymore and not quite as much at night.

btb72
01/05/2016, 06:32 PM
What fish did you add? Any Angels?

reefmutt
01/05/2016, 07:14 PM
that coral looks much better and has definitely encrusted significantly from your first posting of it..
What intensity are your kessils at? May want to try reducing the intensity for a bit and begin ramping back up when the corals regain darker colours..

mfaso24
01/05/2016, 08:25 PM
What fish did you add? Any Angels?

Yes I added a flame angel, but he doesn't seem to be touching anything he's not supposed to [emoji6]

mfaso24
01/05/2016, 08:25 PM
that coral looks much better and has definitely encrusted significantly from your first posting of it..
What intensity are your kessils at? May want to try reducing the intensity for a bit and begin ramping back up when the corals regain darker colours..

Kessils have been ramped up to 80% and had been there for quite some time now.

fishresponse
01/06/2016, 12:17 AM
Any pgymey Angel will pick. I've seen even swallowtail angels pick and they're supposed to be the safest. I wouldn't doubt it's a combo of your light and angel.

mfaso24
01/26/2016, 02:32 PM
So I believed my bicolor blenny is responsible for sps decline recently. Gotta find a way to get him out