PDA

View Full Version : Floor isn't level at all

btb72
12/07/2015, 07:33 PM
There is about an inch of slope on my 4' 120 gallon I'm setting up. Can I shim up my stand to make it level or is there another option. I know not to do it on the tank so no pressure points on that but just trying to find a way to do it.

davocean
12/07/2015, 07:39 PM
My floor was out that much too, I'm a contractor/carpenter, that much out is pretty bad.
Mine was also on uneven stone, so I had to lay a crete pad, but most likely you can either just shim it, or take 2x4 and rip it from say a 1/4" to 3/4" in 4' lengths so you can take out that half inch variation.
If your tank is trimmed you mainly need support at 4 corners, if not trimmed it's much more critical, but either way I'd make sure it is supported at center so your stand doesn't sag.
So I'd rip a 2x or shim every 6" or so

btb72
12/07/2015, 08:31 PM
As long as I can get it close I'll be happy. And by rip you mean using a table saw and cutting it down little by little. I've got one so that wouldn't be to hard to do. And my stand was over built so I'm not worried about it sagging to r anything just trying to make it the most stable it can be while level. The house was built in '54 so guess an inch over that time ain't too bad. Haha

Bogue Chitto
12/07/2015, 08:38 PM
You may place a 4 foot level along the bottom and mark a level line on the stand and then trim it off with a skill saw. That would make the top level.

btb72
12/07/2015, 09:02 PM
Don't want to ruin the stand for when/if I move if rather add to so I can take off later

reefbroao
12/07/2015, 09:22 PM
+1 to Dave I'm in the trades as well and id just rip up some 2x4. I dont think i'd touch the stand depending on the material that can compromise the structural integrity.

btb72
12/07/2015, 09:43 PM
Would you use a table saw or circular to make it precise? I'm pretty confident with both just seeing what would be easier. (Have both so no worries there.

davocean
12/07/2015, 11:25 PM
Depends on your skill level and comfort level, I would do it w/ a circular saw myself, but I work w/ one everyday, just be careful if you do especially at end of cut as saw table drops at end of board.
Maybe make your long rip on a longer board than needed and then make your crosscut.
A decent jigsaw w/ a good blade will even do and be safe if you're not used to circulars
You may still need to add some shim in areas depending on floor deviations.
I agree don't hack up stand.

CStrickland
12/08/2015, 12:09 AM
If you aren't going to mess with the stand, think about it like you are building a platform for the stand to sit on.
Ripping is just cutting away the extra bits that would make it too high. But more strategically to fit the floor that you are working around. Build a thing that's crooked on the bottom so the top can be flat.

Good luck! And remember...
Measure twice, cut once :)

Mouse
12/08/2015, 12:20 AM
You may place a 4 foot level along the bottom and mark a level line on the stand and then trim it off with a skill saw. That would make the top level.

OR Mark it and use it as a template. then reverse it and use that to build a platform. The result should level the base and thus the tank/stand.

btb72
12/08/2015, 01:00 AM
Ya I'm not bad with power tools, laid wood flooring, built stands, built fences so I'll play around with my table and circular saw to see what one ends up better. So pretty much I'm making a new floor for the stand to rest on. Would you nail it onto the bottom of the stand to make sure it stays perfectly on there or just rest it? Btw thanks for all your guys opinions. This is what I was thinking just glad to get some advice

davocean
12/08/2015, 10:30 AM
I would not hard fasten it, weight alone should hold in place but you could do just a little caulk or silicone to hold it where you want it to stay until you get it filled and leveled.