PDA

View Full Version : normal clown behavior, but how long

crankbait09
12/07/2015, 09:54 PM
I have two percula clownfish that i bought 4 weeks ago, as babies.(maybe an 1" or so (at that time)

Within the past 2 weeks, on a daily basis, they have started the quivering process trying to determine the sex of each.

They are still in my QT, and I have two 2" PVC elbows for them. One of which they always stay in. Sometimes swim around but more times than not, will swim around inside this elbow.

I am not here during the day to monitor them, but around 8-10pm every night, I will sit in my chair and observe them. And without fail, every night at this time, they go in to the quivering behavior. Sometimes lock lips for a breif second, until they move on to more quivering and what looks like wrestling. The one inmate always seems to lie on it's side for a couple seconds in the elbow, then will get up, swim inside the tube, ans will tangle with the other clown. They do this for about an hour or two and usually won't stop till I shut down the house for bed.

When I awake in the morning, i turn on the lights and make sure they are alive and well and ready to eat. I never see this behavior in the mornings or during the day if I am home. It's only at night.

I do not see any fin nipping or any damage due to the bickering but it seems like this has been going on too long, no? It's like neither of them will give in to becoming a male. They seem to be very stubborn.

As I mentioned, it's been a couple weeks but its still going on.

Oh, on a side note, for the first two weeks, only one of the clowns were doing this quivering behavior so I assumed it was gonna be easy peazy and it was already established who was who. then two weeks after I got them, the other clown started doing it too....which surprised me.

SHould I worry if they are not being injured in any way?

If they have not determined who is who, when they get transferred to the DT, will it continue or will they start over since it's a new tank?

It's a rather long video (4 minutes) but here is a video of their behavior last night.......http://vid804.photobucket.com/albums/yy321/crankbait09/fish%20tank/20151205_221308_zpsn4nl0wmg.mp4

Rudimenta
12/08/2015, 02:15 AM
To me this is not quivering, I always thought quivering is more the shaking of the head and not the up down movement...

crankbait09
12/08/2015, 08:10 AM
I'm going to place a video later with more time spent on the quivering. They do seizure/quiver in the video but its not a lot.......please hold, let me modify

Rudimenta
12/09/2015, 03:45 AM
anyway its normal, and some of my pairs still do it from time to time even so they have been bonded for a long time

shifty51008
12/09/2015, 04:00 AM
I cant see the video for some reason but what your explaining sounds normal. Mine still do it also even though they have been together for 8 years and are breeding. I thinks it just the females way of letting the male know who's boss. Just like a regular marriage :D

Rudimenta
12/09/2015, 05:02 AM
I thinks it just the females way of letting the male know who's boss. Just like a regular marriage :D

Classic!

crankbait09
12/09/2015, 06:04 AM
i removed the video due to wasting peoples time with it being 4 minutes. Got preoccupied last night with the water change and life. SO I wasn't able to post a new video. please stay tuned

well thats good to hear that it could last a long time but mean nothing........I will keep an eye on them to see what happens. Hopefully one decides to go to the dark side and become the female, sooner than later

Rudimenta
12/09/2015, 06:06 AM
Give it 6-8 months