PDA

View Full Version : do filter sock hurt micro fauna population

brob22
12/08/2015, 02:50 PM
I have two big fuges on my tank and want to keep a lot of micro fauna but I also like socks to keep the fuges and sumps clean.

so my question is if I put on a filter sock will it destroy all my micro fauna?

mfaso24
12/08/2015, 02:52 PM
I have two big fuges on my tank and want to keep a lot of micro fauna but I also like socks to keep the fuges and sumps clean.

so my question is if I put on a filter sock will it destroy all my micro fauna?

I doubt it. You may catch a few worms or pods but "destroy" no not even close. Most of the fauna is going to live on the sand or in the rocks.

tzylak
12/08/2015, 03:05 PM
Socks will capture (not destroy) some of the stuff. Consider a good skimmer and a small fudge with chaeto in it and get rid of the sock altogether.

brob22
12/08/2015, 03:09 PM
thanks for the input.

my tank is only ten gallons so I want the fuges to handle the bioload instead of a skimmer. I was thinking about getting rid of the sock but last time I ran a tank with out a sock my sump got filthy

mfaso24
12/08/2015, 03:32 PM
thanks for the input.

my tank is only ten gallons so I want the fuges to handle the bioload instead of a skimmer. I was thinking about getting rid of the sock but last time I ran a tank with out a sock my sump got filthy

There's nothing wrong with the socks. Just change them out frequently.

cloak
12/08/2015, 03:48 PM
If one of the main reasons for having the refuge was to provide food for a specialized feeder such as a mandarin or perhaps your corals then your definitely compromising this by running the sock IMO. What goes up must come down and vice versa. It's not like the pods can dodge the sock or anything. Like mentioned above though using one probably won't destroy the micro fauna population, but your definitely putting a dent in it.
As far as keeping your sump clean goes, it's real easy to make a vacuum with certain power heads and some vinyl tubing. Lots of hobbyists here at RC do this. GL.

brob22
12/08/2015, 05:13 PM
good point cloak def somethin to consider

one of my fuges is a cryptic fuge full of live rock and some sponges so cleaning that out is alittle bit of a challenge