PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to keep churning my RODI water the whole time?

first29gallon
12/08/2015, 09:54 PM
I have a 20 gallon drum that I use to store RODI water with salt mixed. I would like to use it as my permanent storage container for doing water changes out of and into my tank. My question is, do I need to keep the pump on 24/7 until I do a water change or can I just turn it on the night before and let it churn for 12 hours before I do the change? The only reason I ask is because the pump/powerhead I got in the drum is kinda noticeable loud when its on and it's in my bedroom. I don't know if its bad to keep the water just sitting there with no flow it in.

shifty51008
12/08/2015, 09:59 PM
After the initial mix you can leave it and just mix and heat it 24 hours before a water change. Best would just to fill it with rodi water and leave it that way till the day before then add your salt and mix till you use it.

downbeach
12/09/2015, 05:05 AM
What salt mix are you using? If a "Reef/Pro" type, i.e Reef Crystals, etc. you'll need to keep it aerated due to the organics they contain. If a plain salt mix, i.e. Instant Ocean, you can make it up, and once fully mixed, store it for as long as you like without any ongoing circulating, aerating, etc. If you need a mix with elevated levels of Ca, Mg and Alk, along with the organics, you might consider the Red Sea Coral Pro, since they recommend your make it and use it after four hours of mixing. If you're keeping your make up water in the house at normal room temperature, I don't think you'd have to heat it up, unless you're doing a really large WC.

Jerett83
12/09/2015, 06:32 AM
I just leave mine full of RO/DI water and add the salt the night before and add the heater a couple hours before I plan on doing the water change.

first29gallon
12/09/2015, 06:35 AM
I have instant ocean in the batch now but I just ordered a box of Reef Crystals bc I heard it has more CA Alk Mg and it will help me with raising the Ph.

downbeach
12/09/2015, 06:55 AM
The most likely issue with a low(er) pH is the amount of CO2 in your system, and its surrounding atmosphere. The salt mix isn't going to change that. How low is it? What are you using to measure it with? Is your skimmer in good working order?

first29gallon
12/09/2015, 02:40 PM
The most likely issue with a low(er) pH is the amount of CO2 in your system, and its surrounding atmosphere. The salt mix isn't going to change that. How low is it? What are you using to measure it with? Is your skimmer in good working order?

I am not using a protein skimmer on my 29 gallon and instead am using a surface skimmer and an eheim 2217. I though I take it slow and get a protein skimmer when I move out and get a bigger tank so I can get a nicer skimmer rather than a HOB skimmer.

My ph is 7.8 according to the API test kit for saltwater. I heard that it should be a 8.4.. Not sure about the CO2 in my tank but I have two power heads running with a combined 1000 GPH flow.

downbeach
12/09/2015, 03:13 PM
Is the tank covered too? If so, I would uncover it, and direct the PH's toward the surface of the water to get as much surface agitation as possible to improve your gas exchange. What time of day are you getting the pH reading? If it doesn't go any lower than the number you mentioned, I wouldn't be chasing it. I successfully ran a predominantly SPS mixed reef 180 for many years with a pH running between 7.8 and 8.1.

first29gallon
12/09/2015, 03:24 PM
Is the tank covered too? If so, I would uncover it, and direct the PH's toward the surface of the water to get as much surface agitation as possible to improve your gas exchange. What time of day are you getting the pH reading? If it doesn't go any lower than the number you mentioned, I wouldn't be chasing it. I successfully ran a predominantly SPS mixed reef 180 for many years with a pH running between 7.8 and 8.1.

The tank is covered in the front and two side, the back of the canopy is open so there is room for exchange . little room tough. If I took the canopy off the tank wouldn't look very "pretty". I think I been taking the readings at night. Each time it was 7.8. (only three reading so far since its day 10 of my tank up and running) This tank will have fish only for the near future bc someone just told me not to be put corals under my 24w T-5.

Greybeard
12/09/2015, 03:53 PM
A cheap air pump, a bit of tubing, and an airstone works pretty well to keep a barrel of saltwater stirred and oxygenated. Costs virtually nothing to keep one running.