PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide if this tank setup is worth it?

pola0502ds
12/10/2015, 09:59 AM
Below I will post a link to a craigslist posting of a tank. I personally went and saw it yesterday and everything is very nice and he claims that all the equipment is top of the line and only 6 months old. My experience with tanks is that I had a 29 gallon Biocube for a few years and got out of the hobby. I am ready to get back into the hobby and since this is such a large system and there are a lot of components, I can't tell what is good quality and if the price is worth it. When you get a nano tank everything is included so I never researched all the components.

He claims to have $4100 into it. I am committed to making the purchase but I just want to confirm that it was a smart move.

Here are the specs:

75 Gallon tank and Stand.
• 1 Hippo Tang 4"+
• 1 Yellow Tang 3"
A Handful of Coral
120lbs of live rock includes lots of Tongue Branches.

Other equipment on this setup include

• Aquatic Life lighting system(on tank now)
• Aquatic Life lighting system(new in box)
• CPR Overflow and Accessories
• Berlin Sump 3 Compartment
• Reef Octopus 120 Protein Skimmer
• Bulk Reef Supply GFO Reactor
• Rio 2500 Return Pump
• Emeim 1000 Return Pump
• 2 24watt Green Machine UV Sterilizers
• Wavemaker Pro Advanced Unit
• 3 Power Jets

Other items are:
• Reef API Test kit
• Saltwater API test kit
• Red Sea Magnesium Test Kit( 2 total)
• Cloroform Water Test Kit
• Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
• Seachem Products to include:
1. Reef Fusion 1
2. Reef Fusion 2
3. Reef Carbonate
4. Reef Complete
5. Reef Zooplankton
6. Reef Plus
• 8 Filter Socks
• Aquatic Overflow Pump
• Portable Refractometer

scooter31707
12/10/2015, 10:04 AM
IMO, I wouldn't purchase that for $4100. Plus, that Hippo Tang is already too big for that tank, so you would have to get rid of it. Keep searching. You can almost get a bigger and better tank for that price.

Dkuhlmann
12/10/2015, 10:08 AM
He didn't say it was going to cost him $4100 but the owner has that into it.

I would rehome both tangs as the 75 is way too small for either of them. The Hippo tang will get over a foot long. Tangs need lots of swimming room and preferably 8' tank. If you want a tang there are a couple that you can get. Do your research on what fish you wish to get on Live Aquaria website and before you purchase anything come back here to ask. We won't lead you the wrong way but your local LFS might because they are there to make a buck... we aren't. I'm not saying that all LFS are bad but for the most part...

scooter31707
12/10/2015, 10:11 AM
Oh, I was assuming the owner was asking $4100. lol.

C.Eymann
12/10/2015, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't pay more than $800 for it IMO.

Hippo definitely needs to be rehomed ASAP. The yellow tang is debatable as long as it will be the only tang in the system.

Dkuhlmann
12/10/2015, 10:28 AM
If everything is truly 6 mos old I would say as much as $1500 would be a good deal. $2000 would be OK. But I wouldn't go over $2000

So inquiring minds want to know HOW MUCH? :D

pola0502ds
12/10/2015, 10:49 AM
$1100 is what I am paying. I am picking it up either the 13th or the 21st of this month.

After I looked at the tanks I called a local aquarium and fish store and has a great reputation and they said it was a great set up and top of the line equipment. From what I am hearing, you guys don't agree?

Regarding the fish, it is what it is at the moment because they are coming with the tank. I will do the right thing and get them out of there.

Also, from you had seen, does it really cost $4100 to build this system?

C.Eymann
12/10/2015, 10:51 AM
$1100 is what I am paying. I am picking it up either the 13th or the 21st of this month.

After I looked at the tanks I called a local aquarium and fish store and has a great reputation and they said it was a great set up and top of the line equipment. From what I am hearing, you guys don't agree?

Regarding the fish, it is what it is at the moment because they are coming with the tank. I will do the right thing and get them out of there.

Also, from you had seen, does it really cost $4100 to build this system?

I wouldn't say "top of the line" but its decent stuff.

pola0502ds
12/10/2015, 10:54 AM
I guess stuff like this is only worth what you are willing to pay for it and $1100 for this setup is worth it to me...

Is there really $4100 into it? The live rock and sand is worth a handful. The light system he put on it was $529 and at the time he said they had a special where you buy 1 get one half off so the tank comes with 2. Right there I would be getting my moneys worth.

C.Eymann
12/10/2015, 10:56 AM
I guess stuff like this is only worth what you are willing to pay for it and $1100 for this setup is worth it to me...

Is there really $4100 into it? The live rock and sand is worth a handful. The light system he put on it was $529 and at the time he said they had a special where you buy 1 get one half off so the tank comes with 2. Right there I would be getting my moneys worth.

is it aquatic life's T5 only or does it have halides too? the description of the wavemaker is vague, and "power jets" do you know what brands this stuff actually is??

sde1500
12/10/2015, 10:59 AM
I don't think that price is bad. Though 4100 sounds like a bit much. Seems there are some extra pieces of equipment that you are getting which isn't bad. Don't think you'd need dual return and UV hooked up to that tank, maybe I'm wrong.

I bought a 65 gallon tank empty used, then new equipment for it and im at about 1700 myself

Dkuhlmann
12/10/2015, 11:04 AM
Your LFS will probably swap out or give you store credit for those tangs.

I think you got a great deal for $1100

chimmike
12/10/2015, 11:05 AM
already committed to the purchase?

I don't know what the aquatic life lighting is worth, but most of that stuff is standard-grade equipment.

Meh, if you're happy at that price, I guess that's all that matters, right?

vhuang168
12/10/2015, 11:08 AM
For $1100 it's not a bad deal. It's a fair price for both parties. But there are definitely deals to be had if you are patient and know what you are buying.

Reef Frog
12/10/2015, 11:30 AM
If the corals are desirable it might make things look all the better. What are you getting?

One way to evaluate the price you're paying is to add up the selling prices of the major equipment from the major on-line companies and the tank & stand from the LFS. Then figure between 30%-50% of that number is a fair & typical price to pay. Add in market prices for coral, nothing for fish or inverts, and nothing for the tests, bottles & knick knaks. Add maybe ~$5 per pound for live rock.

pola0502ds
12/10/2015, 12:13 PM
is it aquatic life's T5 only or does it have halides too? the description of the wavemaker is vague, and "power jets" do you know what brands this stuff actually is??

It has the halides as well with a timer on it. As far as the jets, i am not too sure.

pola0502ds
12/10/2015, 12:17 PM
If the corals are desirable it might make things look all the better. What are you getting?

One way to evaluate the price you're paying is to add up the selling prices of the major equipment from the major on-line companies and the tank & stand from the LFS. Then figure between 30%-50% of that number is a fair & typical price to pay. Add in market prices for coral, nothing for fish or inverts, and nothing for the tests, bottles & knick knaks. Add maybe ~$5 per pound for live rock.

I'm not sure what what I am getting, I have been removed from the game for 7 years since I had my last salt tank and I never had corals. I just knew some of them are big and beautiful and the other ones are smaller.

Thanks for the advice.

atraperegrinus
12/10/2015, 01:02 PM
sometimes, esp in this case, a picture is worth a thousand words. you could likely have posted a cell picture of the bulk of the setup and gotten an answer quite quickly. it sounds like a pretty good deal though. nothing mind blowing but not a bad deal at all.

is he including ro/di or do you already have a filter setup?

pola0502ds
12/10/2015, 01:53 PM
sometimes, esp in this case, a picture is worth a thousand words. you could likely have posted a cell picture of the bulk of the setup and gotten an answer quite quickly. it sounds like a pretty good deal though. nothing mind blowing but not a bad deal at all.

is he including ro/di or do you already have a filter setup?

You are right, I could have posted a picture. Not very good with computers so I didn't bother but I will spend the time to post what I can find.

As far as the RO/DI, he is waiting to hear back from the company that installed his system if I can just take all his equipment and then just pay for install.

A1t2o
12/10/2015, 02:03 PM
Looks like a 72 gallon bow front tank. Those can be worth a little more than a standard 75 gallon tank. Why can't you just take the RO/DI and hook it up yourself?

pola0502ds
12/10/2015, 02:20 PM
Looks like a 72 gallon bow front tank. Those can be worth a little more than a standard 75 gallon tank. Why can't you just take the RO/DI and hook it up yourself?

It is a bow front, I won't cry over 3 gallons.

I believe the guy who owns the tank "rents" it from the water provider. I'm honestly not sure. He said he's pays $15 a month for it but I do believe there was a initial investment to get the equipment on-site. He said he also pays $100 per year to have the tank replaced and I think he was referring to the DI tank? Not sure.

Anyway, if it's possible to remove the filtration setup then it will happen.

atraperegrinus
12/10/2015, 02:22 PM
bowfronts look great. have fun, and post pics when you get it all setup!

chimmike
12/10/2015, 02:57 PM
I see button polyps in there...not much else?

jlabeaume
12/10/2015, 03:11 PM
I have the same tank. Paid $150 for it used with just a return pump. After buying everything else I'm probably well over $1500 closer to $2k

gone fishin
12/10/2015, 03:55 PM
The equipment is not bad, I would not say top of the line. It would appear to be a decent setup, if your happy with the price then it is a good deal. good luck

pola0502ds
12/10/2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks guy

pola0502ds
12/11/2015, 07:12 AM
Since I am new and before I start a thread that already exists 20 times, can anyone point me to a thread that explains how to properly transport a large tank? I am moving it 120 miles.

I would also like to see a thread on how to properly level a new setup.

Swensos
12/11/2015, 07:55 AM
Transporting the tank is easy. It's taking all the livestock and equipment out, keeping them safe, and not making a mess that I hate. Here's a helpful blog on moving a reef aquarium

http://www.reefdup.com/2012/04/14/how-to-move-a-reef-tank-successfully/

pola0502ds
12/11/2015, 08:02 AM
See the below pictures, this is the water treatment system that can possibly come with the system. I don't know much about water systems and maybe someone can explain this and if it's worth it. And I'm really interested in whats above the basement and whats behind the tank. Behind the tank is a valve to hook up a hose and fill up your buckets quickly to mix salt. Above the tank is a faucet for top offs with a flush valve and some sort of meter that turns red or green depending on the status of the water. If the light is green you can use it, if it's red you need to flush until it turns green.

Looking at the equipment in the basement it does not look like a RO setup? Is it DI only?

Swensos
12/11/2015, 08:21 AM
I think we just found where he spent the $4,100. I've never seen or heard of a setup like that before. It looks custom and expensive.

pola0502ds
12/11/2015, 08:28 AM
I think we just found where he spent the $4,100. I've never seen or heard of a setup like that before. It looks custom and expensive.

It was a $300 investment to get the equipment onsite and installed, then he pays the water company $15 a month and $100 a year to replace the larger tank. What is setup behind the tank seems to be pretty slick.

chimmike
12/11/2015, 09:37 AM
I have no idea what that is, but it doesn't look like an ro/di setup to me.

Is that C02?

C.Eymann
12/11/2015, 09:40 AM
I have no idea what that is, but it doesn't look like an ro/di setup to me.

Is that C02?

Looks like a big DI tank. I have seen this done before.

What they basically do is run a sediment/ carbon stage, then feed it through that huge tank filled with DI resin.

No RO membrane.

chimmike
12/11/2015, 09:43 AM
ultimately sounds like a setup where the guy called a LFS and said "what do I need", then called the water utility and said "what do I need".

Cheaper to buy a good ro/di unit than rent something like that.

gone fishin
12/11/2015, 12:13 PM
with out knowing the flow of the system I would say the large cylinder is either carbon or mixed bed DI resin, the smaller inline housing is either a sediment filter or could be a DI cartridge in it.

The third picture looks like where the purified water goes upstairs.

The fourth picture looks like there ATO. I would guess it comes off of the system downstairs. There is probably a conductivity or TDS probe some where that will cause the light to turn green or red.

IdahoCindy
12/11/2015, 04:06 PM
If it were me I'd pass on that water treatment system and just buy an RO/DI system instead.

pola0502ds
12/11/2015, 06:46 PM
Ok. I researched that and there are TONS of ro/di suppliers. Can someone tell me what the best brands are? I like to have good equipment. Right now im thinking of buying a buckeye hydro setup but i dont know of their quality.

Jables
12/11/2015, 07:54 PM
The ones from bulk reef supply are good quality, and decent prices

Buckeye Hydro
12/12/2015, 04:43 AM
Pola - we've been a Reef Central sponsor since the bronze age. I encourage you to do a search of Reef Central for us.

Let us know if we can help you.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
12/12/2015, 04:47 AM
That little green light is called a Resilite. It is essentially an inline TDS meter. Various models are available where the indicator light triggers anywhere from 0.25 to 95 ppm tds, depending on the model.

Russ

shifty51008
12/12/2015, 05:07 AM
Ok. I researched that and there are TONS of ro/di suppliers. Can someone tell me what the best brands are? I like to have good equipment. Right now im thinking of buying a buckeye hydro setup but i dont know of their quality.

Buckeye hydro is great quality and haa even great costomer service, you cant go wrong with them

pola0502ds
12/12/2015, 09:11 PM
That little green light is called a Resilite. It is essentially an inline TDS meter. Various models are available where the indicator light triggers anywhere from 0.25 to 95 ppm tds, depending on the model.

Russ

Do you offer this product?

heathlindner25
12/12/2015, 10:10 PM
See the below pictures, this is the water treatment system that can possibly come with the system. I don't know much about water systems and maybe someone can explain this and if it's worth it. And I'm really interested in whats above the basement and whats behind the tank. Behind the tank is a valve to hook up a hose and fill up your buckets quickly to mix salt. Above the tank is a faucet for top offs with a flush valve and some sort of meter that turns red or green depending on the status of the water. If the light is green you can use it, if it's red you need to flush until it turns green.

Looking at the equipment in the basement it does not look like a RO setup? Is it DI only?

The blue canister Is a pre- filter ,....the "oxygen " looking one is a large Cabon chamber
These are sold as whole house filtration systems and aren't that great

Buckeye Hydro
12/13/2015, 04:18 AM
Do you offer this product?

You bet!

For many of the systems used in this hobby, an inline TDS meter is often used instead.

For these indicator lights, here are the triggers points when they switch from green to red for the various models:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/BuckeyeFS/Red%20Green%20Indicator%20Lights_zps9cubebfh.png

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
12/13/2015, 04:34 AM
The blue canister Is a pre- filter ,....the "oxygen " looking one is a large Cabon chamber

I guess that depends upon what you want the system to do.

If you want it to remove sediment and remove chlorine, assuming they are sized appropriately and you use good media, they'll work just fine. For purposes of this hobby however, remember that neither a sediment filter or carbon remove TDS - so the TDS coming out will be similar to the TDS going in. These two filters might make a fine prefilter system for an RO.

This set up is not expensive.

Russ

C.Eymann
12/13/2015, 05:03 AM

I'm almost positive it's not filled with carbon. it's filled with DI resin. One fish store I worked at had an industrial Rodi machine and a contract with culligan, when the commercial unit broke down, culligan brought out the same setup to use while they fixed the commercial unit.
carbon/sediment filter and a tall tank identical to the one pictured filled with DI resin. If it was just filled with carbon you wouldn't get anywhere close to 0 TDS

Buckeye Hydro
12/13/2015, 05:05 AM
Yes - anion, cation, or mixed bed DI resin can be put in that same tank.

Russ

pola0502ds
12/18/2015, 10:29 PM
Looking at the specs of the specs of the tank, what are some items i should upgrade and in what order? Also, what items are not listed that i should consider getting right away? I just plugged the trigger on the neptune apex gold.

tattoosandfrags
12/19/2015, 02:17 AM
doesnt seem worth it to me where are the coral? you think somebody would spend that much on equipment and at least have some high end or decent coral in his system. to each is own as long as you enjoy it matter of fact im buying a 120 gallon 4 foot tank for 350 its only the tank and stand and its drilled thats a good deal for it i bought my 90 gallon tank and stand for 150 like 3 months ago i guess it depends where you stay on the type of deals you will see.