PDA

View Full Version : square vs rectangle shaped tanks

gusmanda
12/10/2015, 03:51 PM
assuming same volume, what do you think works best for the fish? a square tank, or a longer but thinner rectangular tank? I've seen less aggression in square tanks but not sure if that is coincidence or not?

tc2007
12/10/2015, 11:31 PM
I have a square (cube) and regret it because aquascaping is hard and there is less space for corals as you only want corals in the front. Cube may work for larger dimensions and if you can see from all 4 sides. Another trick with cube is you can use branched live rock to create a mesh type of structure to keep fish bumping into each other.

laredo300c
12/11/2015, 06:03 PM
i have a 93g cube that i enjoy more than my previous 120g. that said: lighting is harder, aquascape is harder and it just feels like the fish have less room to swim, regardless of size.

if i was to do it again and i had the room for it, i would go for the innovative marine sr120. just longer and better for fish to swim.

a trick is to go to youtube and look at cubes vs long tanks. which one do you enjoy more?

tc2007
12/11/2015, 06:23 PM
if i was to do it again and i had the room for it, i would go for the innovative marine sr120. just longer and better for fish to swim.

I also have the 93Cube and feel the same way. If I had to do it again I would either do SR120 or a custom long / shallow on a 40" stand to replicate the feel of the SR120.

laredo300c
12/12/2015, 02:23 PM
I agee, the sr120 is extremely limited on back space for equipment. honestly its mostly hype since no one in their right mind would choose the skimmers that fit in the back if they were using a sump on a regular 120g.

JWClark
12/13/2015, 04:26 AM
Rectangular is generally better for fish, especially those that are very active. Fish like tangs really benefit from the longer run length for swimming.

biecacka
12/13/2015, 08:20 AM
Love my cube! 48/48/24 and it's plenty big enough for the fish I keep. I have 20 in there now and am adding about 10-12 more likely. Doing the research on some now.
Mine is viewable from 3 sides.

Corey

Dmorty217
12/13/2015, 09:05 AM
My cube is 84"x72x24", viewable from 2 sides (all 4 can be seen but two are within the fish room) tons of swimming room for fish. I care more about fish so a cube works better for me. Check out Mo's build thread under large tanks, I think you will find that he makes corals work just fine in his tank.

Ridgeway Swiss
12/13/2015, 04:26 PM
As I like depth (front to back) then I went cube ish shape. In order to get the full benefit you need 2 or more sides on display so you can appreciate that depth. Regarding the "what's best for the fish" question then I don't get the argument that rectangular is better as this just provides accelerate, break, J turn and start again..... overall is free swimming space thats relevant and many 6-7ft tanks quickly get taken over by coral so the depth becomes less and this leaves the fish with a narrow strip in front of the glass.

Mine is here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2499112)