PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keep shrimp with spearers?

Hadla
12/10/2015, 08:44 PM
Will they eat them? I know someone interested in a spearer but he wants to keep shrimp and crabs with it.

Kharn
12/11/2015, 12:20 AM
I'll see if I can find it...

But I put in a small clear saltwater shrimp in with my giant spearer (L.maculata) and he did not touch the little shrimp mind you this shrimp was around 1inch long if that.

(had a video of it crawling over him).

nmotz
12/11/2015, 10:40 AM
I would not expect any shrimps less than or equal to the size of the mantis to survive. Crabs should be fine although the mantis will smack them from time to time. Mine would thump my emerald crabs with the edge of his dactyl if they got too close to its burrow.

Hadla
12/11/2015, 02:04 PM
Mine would thump my emerald crabs with the edge of his dactyl if they got too close to its burrow.

Rotfl! That is too funny! They were invading his "territory"

Calappidae
12/11/2015, 04:25 PM
Like Kharn said, anything "insignificant" would probably be ignored. I'd doubt a full grown over foot long L. mac would even eye ball a bumblebee shrimp, mysis, sexy shrimp, etc. Just not worth it, they're basically crumbs in comparsion to what suits them.

Crabs I'm iffy on. Crabs just have that mean side to them.. it's either the crab, the mantis, or neutral. With smashers, the smasher is going to either kill it, or the crab will keep it's distance knowing it's #1 threat is staring at it 24/7. With spearers, they have less defensive capabilities for crabs that stir the nearby sand or disrupt it's molt. I'd also hate for a crab to walk by and just poke my eye with it's legs as well. P. ciliata has less of an issue with this, but less means of scaring a bully crab away.

It's a matter of what will bother the mantis, if it can't harm the mantis in any way, (even stars can IME) then your safe to experiment what it will let survive.

Kharn
12/11/2015, 05:24 PM
I remember reading a couple of years ago on here how someone lost their L.mac to tiny little hermit crabs cause they dug out the burrow when it was molting and started to eat the soft spearer alive because it was totally defenseless.

EI Gringo
12/12/2015, 05:19 AM
I put feeder shrimp in with my 7" lysiosquilla and after a while even the tiniest shrimp disappear, I think it's a case of individuals over guidelines

Hadla
12/12/2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the info!

hotelbravo
12/12/2015, 05:48 PM
Like Kharn said, anything "insignificant" would probably be ignored. I'd doubt a full grown over foot long L. mac would even eye ball a bumblebee shrimp, mysis, sexy shrimp, etc. Just not worth it, they're basically crumbs in comparsion to what suits them.

Crabs I'm iffy on. Crabs just have that mean side to them.. it's either the crab, the mantis, or neutral. With smashers, the smasher is going to either kill it, or the crab will keep it's distance knowing it's #1 threat is staring at it 24/7. With spearers, they have less defensive capabilities for crabs that stir the nearby sand or disrupt it's molt. I'd also hate for a crab to walk by and just poke my eye with it's legs as well. P. ciliata has less of an issue with this, but less means of scaring a bully crab away.

It's a matter of what will bother the mantis, if it can't harm the mantis in any way, (even stars can IME) then your safe to experiment what it will let survive.

So sexy shrimp are fairly safe with a large spearer???

Calappidae
12/13/2015, 10:59 AM
The likely hood of them being ignored by an adult L. mac is more likely. That's all I can guarantee.