PDA

View Full Version : Help needed identifying Hydor Koralia part

fkbsar
12/10/2015, 09:51 PM
I have a Hydor Koralia power head - the one with the white impeller. The label has long since dissolved so I don't know what model it is anymore. To make a long story short I lost the round black button sized piece that goes into the hole before the shaft and impeller. I believe it stabilizes the shaft. I've searched for a parts diagrams or manual to no avail so I don't know what to ask for to replace it. Any leads are appreciated. Pic of Koralia uploaded.

CafeReef
12/10/2015, 10:40 PM
I dont know what the part is but maybe menards or lowes would have a small spacer in their specialty bolts area. I know menards and lowes here have a lot to choose from in a very small size. Might get lucky?

outy
12/11/2015, 12:28 AM
doesn't have 2 o rings holding the ceramic bearing in place ?

I have the large one and it uses o rings I think.

If its a rubber button to hold a shaft, you can use tubing sometimes in layers to make/create those from your junk drawer. made those a few times.

fkbsar
12/11/2015, 02:44 AM
Outy - it was actually a solid hard button size with a tiny hole in the middle. It stabilizes and keeps the shaft centered. You would place that in the hole, insert the shaft into the "button" hole, slide the magnet/impeller onto the shaft and finally place the cover back on. Thanks to you both I will try those suggestions. I had it just yesterday and when I went to get it to put the power head back together I couldn't find it. The impeller just wobbles and is worthless without it. Still would like to know what it is though. Now I'm curious.

billdogg
12/11/2015, 06:28 AM
For want of a better word, it is a simple bushing. That being said, I don't think you can get it separately, but may be able to purchase a rebuild kit that might include it. I keep all of those little pieces parts from old seized up equipment "justincase"

You could probably make one pretty easily. Clean the hole it is supposed to go in as best you can, then fill it with rubber cement. Coat the shaft with a bit of silicone grease and then assemble as you normally would. After giving the rubber cement time to cure, take it back apart, clean off the silicone grease and you just might be good to go. Certainly worth a try anyway.

hth.

If it doesn't work, well, it sounds like you've gotten your $$$ worth out of that one anyway. Maybe save it for spare parts and get a replacement? I just got a couple of the 3rd generation pumps and at least so far, I really like them. The flow is good, and the ability to position them pretty much however you want to get the circulation you need is is really nice.

fkbsar
12/11/2015, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the correct word. I felt kind of stupid calling it a "button" because I knew that wasn't the correct word. Would you happen to know where I can get a rebuild kit? I do have a couple of other working ones with the green impeller but don't know if it has the same bushing but would like to have all of them in working order.

billdogg
12/11/2015, 11:04 AM
google is your friend. It won't surprise me if one is not available like it would be for a higher end item. Don't get me wrong - I'm not dissing your choice of powerhead - I have, at the moment, 8 of them going between 2 systems.

fkbsar
12/11/2015, 11:27 AM
Thank you. I love them.

outy
12/11/2015, 12:34 PM
What I love about plastic, with a little heat and craftsmanship, you can make most parts easily.

I have had a lot of luck with this brand, and like you enjoy them

billdogg
12/11/2015, 02:30 PM
Know anybody with a 3D printer?

fkbsar
12/11/2015, 03:47 PM
After googling Koralia bushing I found a picture of it. I know its small but its the best I could do. So now the second part of the search begins.....

outy
12/11/2015, 04:15 PM
Go to your local hardware store and buy a nylon washer and drill or grind/file it to size