PDA

View Full Version : How long can I leave tank alone for?

Z0RN
12/11/2015, 12:38 AM
Hello,
I'm interested in starting up a reef tank. I have experience with freshwater but have never had a marine setup before. One big stumbling block I have is actually my job. I work for the railroad and and am away from home for an average of about - a day and a half, sometimes up to two days at a time. My question is will this pose any major problems for me? Or are there ways to get around my absence and still have a thriving setup. Thanks

dracus
12/11/2015, 01:19 AM
1-2 days is usually fine as long as it's not a regular thing. If you're gone for 1-2 days twice a week or something, that's probably going to be a problem. There are auto-feeders and stuff that can help keep your fish on a feeding schedule, but most of them tend to overfeed and are more suitable for emergencies.

shifty51008
12/11/2015, 03:53 AM
Depends on how you have it setup but you can usually go a week without needing to touch the tank as long as you have a auto top off, auto feeder, and timers for the lights.

Deftones2015
12/11/2015, 04:17 AM
Depends how automated your setup is. Like shifty said, with an auto top off, auto feeder and something to control your lights you would be fine for a while. When you get home you would have to refill auto top off container, fish food etc.

tzylak
12/11/2015, 08:50 AM
1-2 days is doable, but it really depends on your long-run passion for this hobby. -It is addictive and might lead to obsession but there are times when life dumps on you and the care for the tank becomes a PITA . . . yet it has to be done.
You did good by:
1. Asking yourself if you are up to it.
2. Contacting Reef Central.
-Based on these, I say: GO FOR IT!!
Good Luck!

Reef908
12/11/2015, 08:56 AM
I agree with one of the above posts. I travel weekly for work, anywhere from 1-3 days, and I have my tank set up so that I can do this. I have an auto feeder, one of those light timers, and the ATO. My one point of emphasis is to make sure you have a big enough ATO reservoir. When I am home regularly, I have a 5 gallon tank. When I know I will be gone for a longer trip, I switch over to a 20 gallon in case something happens that I cannot control with my travel. I got stuck in Michigan due to snow once for 2 additional days longer than expected and the 5 gallon tank definitely would not have lasted. It seems like your travel is more consistent so that may not be a concern for you.