PDA

View Full Version : Xena update- beginning of she'll rot?

Martini5788
12/11/2015, 01:25 PM
I took a break from rc for awhile, but I'm back now. I was gone for a few weeks over Thanksgiving and when I came home xena tank was an absolute wreck. Apparently, she had been fed an entire large gulf shrimp every single day for 3 freaking weeks. Dead serious. When I tested the nitrates they were unreadable, probably close to 300 if I had to guess. I immediately set up a qt tank with fresh water and a few rocks and pvc. I have done water changes everyday on the main tank but have been unable to get them under 80. Continuing to do them as we speak. I have been unable to get a picture of her, she is in the pipe almost constantly now, but there are definitely areas of shell rot forming. What can I do at this point? Other than what I'm doing already

Martini5788
12/11/2015, 01:49 PM
Just tested the nitrates. They are 160+ again

Kharn
12/11/2015, 05:27 PM
My first thing would be getting the water under control and back into parameters whilst ensuring the tank gets as little light as possible.

Once the parameters are back up to par for what they should be and if the shell rot is still present, offer lots of food but not in the same manner you speak of how it was a whole large shrimp, offer the mantis small meals but frequently, constantly.

The more it eats the shorter the down time for its next molt which is what will help shed some shell rot (not likely all if its bad).

Martini5788
12/11/2015, 05:44 PM
My first thing would be getting the water under control and back into parameters whilst ensuring the tank gets as little light as possible.

Once the parameters are back up to par for what they should be and if the shell rot is still present, offer lots of food but not in the same manner you speak of how it was a whole large shrimp, offer the mantis small meals but frequently, constantly.

The more it eats the shorter the down time for its next molt which is what will help shed some shell rot (not likely all if its bad).

Yeah I was out of town. My husband was away on training. And we had been helping a friend out by letting her live in our house. She had VERY specific instructions for exactly what to do. She ended up throwing multiple parties, and god knows what else. People were smoking in our house, the military police were called which is the only way I even knew about it. I was in the hospital for awhile and had no idea. When I got home, the salinity on the tank was 1.035, one of the power head was fried because it was out of water, I couldn't even see in the glass. It was absolutely terrible. Seriously, imagine what you see in the movies after a rave. That's what my house
Looked like. I can't believe my parrot survived with all the smoking that happened in the house. I actually have no idea how all the tank inhabitants didn't die, although I lost a few fw fish.

EI Gringo
12/12/2015, 05:18 AM
Oh my God I would kill somebody if they did that to my aquarium :/

Martini5788
12/12/2015, 10:04 AM
Oh my God I would kill somebody if they did that to my aquarium :/

I kicked her out, and I am filing a lawsuit for damages to the house. Also, my husband contacted her chain of command( in the marines) to inform them of the behavior of the marines in their unit to someone else's house. It's actually a major ordeal.
Oh, and I punched her in the face [emoji6]
But yeah, dealing with the aftermath of the entire thing has been very difficult

Calappidae
12/12/2015, 12:38 PM
It'd break somebody's limbs if they did that to one of my tanks.

Sorry to hear about that bad experience. Glad to hear the majority of livestock is ok. I'd get an air cleaner and dehumidifier running to help remove the vapors in the air, and additionally renew your carbon to help the aquariums out.

That's general stuff for your house, as far as the water quality is concerned, I'm requoting kharn's response. you might want to be doing serious water changes to fix the nitrates, overkilling carbon to remove toxins (skimming would help majorly too, even if you get a cheap HoB or biocube unit for 30-90 dollars) and trying to keep the resources SR needs, lighting, minimal. You can recover from this with time.

Good luck!

Martini5788
12/12/2015, 01:04 PM
I scooped her up into a bucket and got a picture. They aren't great but they will show what I'm dealing with. My husband bought
One of those stupid rainbow vacuum cleaners a few
Months ago and honestly that's the only thing that has been helping with the smell in the house. Everytime I go
Into detail about what happened I get so mad I start crying hahaha. And honestly what I put on here
Is only the beginning. Add piles of vomit, broken toilets, **** in a closet. Yeah it was bad.

Martini5788
12/12/2015, 01:25 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/7c7844e5462fa2046890ac161fc8510e.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/5c7cf124914572b781d4168145f393e7.jpg
Well crap they actually don't
Show anything. I
Can't take her back out again, don't want to stress her too
Much

nmotz
12/13/2015, 11:00 AM
Dang, just now reading this....sounds like a terrible ordeal. Makes me afraid about my upcoming trip back home for the holidays! I can't believe someone would do/allow all of those things in your house.

Just like others said, try to get the nitrates under control through WC's and feed to encourage a molt, no lights. If you have a UV sterilizer, use it, otherwise just try to get her to molt. I know this is rough, but it isn't your fault. Best of luck, hope she pulls through!

EI Gringo
12/14/2015, 03:20 AM
I don't know your set up but could you get a couple of big containers with overflows and reroute your system from tank to barrels to sump and back to tank? Having a massive amount of water in the system would thin the nitrates out significantly and allow a skimmer to remove them where as if there is a source of organics leaching nitrates into the tank constantly you'll be doing water changes for months unless you can find the source? Just a thought that you're more than welcome to dismiss but with my system I could do that and I would (plus I have a 110 L container with an overflow at the top)

Martini5788
12/14/2015, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately I don't think that's an option. Currently the tank does not even have a sump. I do have a hob overflow and an extra 10 gallon though. I am going to the lfs today so I will look for an easy temp plumbing solution I could use

Kharn
12/15/2015, 01:00 AM
I'm just curious but what size is your display tank that houses the peacock?

EI Gringo
12/15/2015, 04:37 AM
Grab yourself a big plastic container like a water butt, mine cost 12 pounds, set up your overflow and whack a pump in the container, pump only needs to be able to put water to the top to link the bodies, flowrate is irrelevant on this, I think you'll have success with this :)

Martini5788
12/15/2015, 09:52 AM
I'm just curious but what size is your display tank that houses the peacock?

It's a 40 breeder

Martini5788
12/15/2015, 09:54 AM
Grab yourself a big plastic container like a water butt, mine cost 12 pounds, set up your overflow and whack a pump in the container, pump only needs to be able to put water to the top to link the bodies, flowrate is irrelevant on this, I think you'll have success with this :)

I am confused, how big is a water Butt exactly?

Martini5788
12/15/2015, 11:38 AM
Xenas tank is being moved to another room, when she gets moved I plan on setting up a sump for her
Tank. So I will probably just wait until then

EI Gringo
12/15/2015, 12:51 PM
Depends on the size of the water butt but they are used to collect rain water so 100-150 litres is an average size. Any container will do, just as long as it's big

Martini5788
12/15/2015, 06:13 PM
Depends on the size of the water butt but they are used to collect rain water so 100-150 litres is an average size. Any container will do, just as long as it's big

Oh ok. I had just never heard that term before haha. I am going to do another water change tomorrow, I am still getting debris and stuff
Coming off the rocks. I may end up having to get new rocks and sand. That's how bad it is. I mean the smell coming off the tank when I got home was unreal. Decaying shrimp all over. Covered in what looked like mold. For whatever reason the ammonia when I test it is saying zero. But it's just a seemingly endless supply of leftover crap
From it.

nmotz
12/15/2015, 10:25 PM
Oh ok. I had just never heard that term before haha. I am going to do another water change tomorrow, I am still getting debris and stuff
Coming off the rocks. I may end up having to get new rocks and sand. That's how bad it is. I mean the smell coming off the tank when I got home was unreal. Decaying shrimp all over. Covered in what looked like mold. For whatever reason the ammonia when I test it is saying zero. But it's just a seemingly endless supply of leftover crap
From it.

Geez, I can't believe Xena survived that at all.

Martini5788
12/16/2015, 09:21 AM
Geez, I can't believe Xena survived that at all.

Honestly, neither can I. All the fish survived too. And the pistol shrimp, crabs, and brittle star. I lost a few snails but that's about it. I had a friend test the water to confirm what my tests were saying, same thing.

hotelbravo
12/16/2015, 01:42 PM
i had a girl staying with me for a few weeks and she did the same thing to my 30 gallon tank. she had a party and all kinds of things got messed up with my stuff and all inhabitants died. she was kicked out of my house but i didn't really think to call the police on her she was a new airman just an E-3

Martini5788
12/16/2015, 06:22 PM
i had a girl staying with me for a few weeks and she did the same thing to my 30 gallon tank. she had a party and all kinds of things got messed up with my stuff and all inhabitants died. she was kicked out of my house but i didn't really think to call the police on her she was a new airman just an E-3

The cops originally got called to my house because of a noise complaint from the party. And I was notified because of that. This girl deserves everything that is coming to her. We live in base housing and will end up getting charged for damages to the house when we leave.

nmotz
12/16/2015, 08:03 PM
Dang, yeah base housing is definitely like that. One of the reason why I've always tried to live off base. I hope they go easy on you. I cannot believe that girl messed your house up so bad. Then again, I've done some pretty inconsiderate things in my life too. :rolleyes:

Martini5788
12/16/2015, 09:18 PM
Dang, yeah base housing is definitely like that. One of the reason why I've always tried to live off base. I hope they go easy on you. I cannot believe that girl messed your house up so bad. Then again, I've done some pretty inconsiderate things in my life too. :rolleyes:

Yeah it's gonna be bad. That's why we are pursuing the lawsuit. I wish we didn't
Live on base housing, but honestly in this town it's the only place you aren't going to get robbed. So while I hate the house and living on base, the alternative is definitely worse

Martini5788
12/19/2015, 12:24 PM
Xena died last night, or this morning. I just found her. I knew it was going to happen, or figured it would. The tank was just too messed up. Now I'm even more upset about everything that happened than I was before.

Hadla
12/19/2015, 01:04 PM
:( sorry to hear that... Hope karma comes back for that girl who ruined everything!

Martini5788
12/19/2015, 01:28 PM
:( sorry to hear that... Hope karma comes back for that girl who ruined everything!

Thanks. My husband wants to order another one today, I told him it would have to wait awhile. I think I am going to essentially break the tank down completely. Take all the rocks out, spray them with the holes and scrub them, and then put them in a small
Container and do water changes everyday. It would be less money spent on salt that way. Move the tank, clean out the sand, and then recycle it and get it ready. So it will be a long time before it's ready for inhabitants again. The tank just crashed. Even with almost daily water changes I can't get the nitrates below 80. I'm also going to set it up with a sump this time and a way oversized skimmer to make sure this doesn't happen again if I have to go out of town.

Ian55
12/19/2015, 02:36 PM
you may want to give the rocks an acid bath to suck out any phosphates and really clean them up.

Martini5788
12/19/2015, 02:48 PM
you may want to give the rocks an acid bath to suck out any phosphates and really clean them up.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking about doing

Martini5788
12/19/2015, 06:34 PM
For the time being, I am going to turn it into a holding tank while I am prepping the 90 gallon that is finally taking the place of the one that exploded in June. I still have fish leftover from that. Before this one gets setup again I am going to drill it, get the equipment for a sump, etc. still trying to decide if I want another peacock or not though.

EI Gringo
12/20/2015, 06:42 AM
You do want another peacock, you know you do >:)

Jeff4777
12/20/2015, 11:30 AM
Yeah I was out of town. My husband was away on training. And we had been helping a friend out by letting her live in our house. She had VERY specific instructions for exactly what to do. She ended up throwing multiple parties, and god knows what else. People were smoking in our house, the military police were called which is the only way I even knew about it. I was in the hospital for awhile and had no idea. When I got home, the salinity on the tank was 1.035, one of the power head was fried because it was out of water, I couldn't even see in the glass. It was absolutely terrible. Seriously, imagine what you see in the movies after a rave. That's what my house
Looked like. I can't believe my parrot survived with all the smoking that happened in the house. I actually have no idea how all the tank inhabitants didn't die, although I lost a few fw fish.

holy crap I'm so sorry. Your poor livestock.. Wow now I feel like I can't ever leave my tanks with a pet sitter... I have too many sensitive fish/coral... Best of luck to you

Martini5788
12/20/2015, 02:03 PM
You do want another peacock, you know you do >:)

Lol I know I think I do. I was thinking about a havanensis. But my husband wants one that gets pretty large. He doesn't want a small one. I will use the same tank. 40 breeder. I don't want a spearer. Just don't appeal to me like the smashers do

Martini5788
12/20/2015, 02:04 PM
holy crap I'm so sorry. Your poor livestock.. Wow now I feel like I can't ever leave my tanks with a pet sitter... I have too many sensitive fish/coral... Best of luck to you

I would have someone with a tank watch yours. The problem I have is that we live in base, and I haven't
Found
Someone with base access that is good with tanks to watch mine

hotelbravo
12/20/2015, 03:41 PM
The cops originally got called to my house because of a noise complaint from the party. And I was notified because of that. This girl deserves everything that is coming to her. We live in base housing and will end up getting charged for damages to the house when we leave.
well yea than she deserved it i agree..

Martini5788
12/20/2015, 04:33 PM
well yea than she deserved it i agree..

Yeah and now xena is dead. Unfortunately I won't be able to include that in the damages. But now I'm just
Livid. I had calmed down about it a bit, not anymore.

nmotz
12/20/2015, 10:45 PM
Man that's an awful way to lose a mantis, my condolences. I think you've done well to realize the long term damage to your current set-up too and I agree that the best thing is to just accept that this is a full blown crash and start over. I really hope you get an awesome new mantis soon.

Kharn
12/21/2015, 12:01 AM
I would have someone with a tank watch yours. The problem I have is that we live in base, and I haven't
Found
Someone with base access that is good with tanks to watch mine

Sorry for your loss :(

But there is always another! :)

When I lost Juggernaut my large full grown peacock I was devastated and whilst I had a gut feeling about it before actual confirmation it never did help spent my time for the next few hours watching all the videos I made with the lil' beasty.

But during this time of remembering I resolved to name the very next and ALL future O.scyllarus/Peacocks as "Juggernaut" sort of like a phoenix bird, even in death they only "reincarnate/are born again" through another individual of the same species.

Same goes for Leviathan my old giant spearer who never died but moved into an aquarium shop and is now the stores display animal!

The next 2-3 mantis shrimp I am getting (at the same time) will be those species above and thus carry the names of Juggernaut & Leviathan (I am not yet decided on what to call the female, perhaps behemoth and thus all female giant zebra spearers would be called as such for the future).

Again sorry for your loss. I usually make videos of the individual lost (from the videos I had previously made) into a sort of compilation video that can float across the internet until the end of internet itself! :D

Hadla
12/21/2015, 12:23 AM
If you're anywhere near me, I'd offer to sell you Roger

Martini5788
12/21/2015, 02:47 AM
Man that's an awful way to lose a mantis, my condolences. I think you've done well to realize the long term damage to your current set-up too and I agree that the best thing is to just accept that this is a full blown crash and start over. I really hope you get an awesome new mantis soon.

Thanks, yeah the crash wasn't my fault by any means but this will give me the time to change things about the setup that I didn't like. But I am going to be using it for a qt for awhile. I think it will
Probably end up being close to march before I get another one

Martini5788
12/21/2015, 02:49 AM
Sorry for your loss :(

But there is always another! :)

When I lost Juggernaut my large full grown peacock I was devastated and whilst I had a gut feeling about it before actual confirmation it never did help spent my time for the next few hours watching all the videos I made with the lil' beasty.

But during this time of remembering I resolved to name the very next and ALL future O.scyllarus/Peacocks as "Juggernaut" sort of like a phoenix bird, even in death they only "reincarnate/are born again" through another individual of the same species.

Same goes for Leviathan my old giant spearer who never died but moved into an aquarium shop and is now the stores display animal!

The next 2-3 mantis shrimp I am getting (at the same time) will be those species above and thus carry the names of Juggernaut & Leviathan (I am not yet decided on what to call the female, perhaps behemoth and thus all female giant zebra spearers would be called as such for the future).

Again sorry for your loss. I usually make videos of the individual lost (from the videos I had previously made) into a sort of compilation video that can float across the internet until the end of internet itself! :D

Yeah I can always get another one, I just get more attached to creatures than most people do. So this is pretty upsetting to me.

Martini5788
12/21/2015, 02:16 PM
If you're anywhere near me, I'd offer to sell you Roger

I feel like the last time we talked you were in California or something? And I'm in South Carolina

Hadla
12/21/2015, 03:20 PM
Yeah Sacramento

Martini5788
12/21/2015, 04:48 PM
Yeah Sacramento

Yup that was it.

carmelpi
12/24/2015, 08:37 PM
I thought it was bad when I went on vacation and my tank sitter let my mangroves flip over (not sure HOW that happened) and left them that way the entire time because he "thought they were supposed to be like that".

I'm glad you punched her in the face. I've had super inconsiderate roomies before but nothing on that scale (the part[ies] mine threw never got the cop called nor did we end up with excrement in the closet but my bachelor neighbors got an eyeful when she answered the door nekkid)

Why can't you sue for the loss of Xena? Is it because she died after? I'd still bring it up since her actions directly caused the death of an animal. :(

Martini5788
12/24/2015, 08:56 PM
I thought it was bad when I went on vacation and my tank sitter let my mangroves flip over (not sure HOW that happened) and left them that way the entire time because he "thought they were supposed to be like that".

I'm glad you punched her in the face. I've had super inconsiderate roomies before but nothing on that scale (the part[ies] mine threw never got the cop called nor did we end up with excrement in the closet but my bachelor neighbors got an eyeful when she answered the door nekkid)

Why can't you sue for the loss of Xena? Is it because she died after? I'd still bring it up since her actions directly caused the death of an animal. :(

I know this makes me sound like a crazy person, but I wish I punched her twice [emoji23]. I am very limited as to what she can be charged with because the length of time she stayed would be considered a roommate which isn't allowed unless they are approved by the base and in the lease, which she isn't. So she can only be charged for the damages to the house.

carmelpi
12/24/2015, 08:59 PM
ARRRGH. Go punch her again anyway. but make sure you have witnesses who will swear you didn't touch her.

carmelpi
12/24/2015, 09:00 PM
fyi - I am NOT a violent person, nor do I normally advocate violence. but I think it's warranted in this instance.

Martini5788
12/24/2015, 09:02 PM
ARRRGH. Go punch her again anyway. but make sure you have witnesses who will swear you didn't touch her.

Well apparently she is pregnant now, so I can't. Otherwise I would. I make no promises if I see her though. I'm not sure I would be able to control myself

carmelpi
12/24/2015, 09:04 PM
is this one of those "jerry springer" pregnancies? as in, she has to get a dna test to figure out which one of 20 guys it is?

Sorry - she sounds like a few people I knew in the army back in the day (only the ones I knew managed to not get pregnant). I know I sound catty but I want to punch her, regardless of her status.

Martini5788
12/24/2015, 09:06 PM
is this one of those "jerry springer" pregnancies? as in, she has to get a dna test to figure out which one of 20 guys it is?

Sorry - she sounds like a few people I knew in the army back in the day (only the ones I knew managed to not get pregnant). I know I sound catty but I want to punch her, regardless of her status.

Kind of. It's complicated. I can explain over the phone. But yeah that's pretty much it. She's got some serious issues.

Martini5788
12/24/2015, 09:07 PM
She's a lying, backstabbing, lunatic n

carmelpi
12/24/2015, 09:19 PM
well, look at it this way. when you're a terrible person, it tends to come back on you. I hope your lawsuit is successful.

can you still get a "get out of jail free" card when you're pregnant? As in, easy, uncontested discharge?

Martini5788
12/24/2015, 09:30 PM
well, look at it this way. when you're a terrible person, it tends to come back on you. I hope your lawsuit is successful.

can you still get a "get out of jail free" card when you're pregnant? As in, easy, uncontested discharge?

I hope it is too. I doubt it will be. She has been trying to get med boarded for awhile. She is legitimately crazy. It's just taking forever

gozermantis
12/28/2015, 03:26 PM
All I have to say about this is wow... I hope she gets in a lot of trouble... Sorry for your loss.

Martini5788
12/28/2015, 04:50 PM
At this point it isn't looking like she is going to. Because
Of a clause in the lease. Which is complete crap. Apparently anyone who is going to be staying longer than 14 days has to be approved by the managing company, which was not done. So it's looking like we are liable for absolutely everything that happened, even to the house itself.

young doz
12/29/2015, 02:55 AM
Wow! just read the whole thread.. sorry bout that Martini..

g_langley
01/05/2016, 09:35 AM
Extremely bad outcome for something which you did not deserve in the first place. It would be a sorry state of affairs if this girl gets off scot free. A sicilian revenge is in order I think.

Martini5788
01/05/2016, 12:50 PM
The tank is in a lot better shape now. Nitrates are still between 20 and 40 but that should be manageable with a few more water changes. I am currently using it as a holding tank for the fish that are going to go into my 90 gallon that is getting setup this weekend. Then it is getting moved to another room. So maybe after all that I can try another peacock.

nmotz
01/05/2016, 11:58 PM
Best of luck to you Martini.

BrandonFlorida
01/21/2016, 02:53 PM
Damn this is really a sad story.. I really hope karma comes thru.. This is why I love all animals and can't stand humans, minus my family..

Martini5788
01/21/2016, 06:04 PM
Damn this is really a sad story.. I really hope karma comes thru.. This is why I love all animals and can't stand humans, minus my family..

Yeah I'm the same way haha. I'm still pretty upset about it. I found a fish store near me that can order me a peacock mantis for $37. I was shocked to say the least so hopefully I can get another one soon

BrandonFlorida
01/25/2016, 04:09 PM
Yeah I'm the same way haha. I'm still pretty upset about it. I found a fish store near me that can order me a peacock mantis for $37. I was shocked to say the least so hopefully I can get another one soon

every store here in Volusia county wants like 60-70 bucks for a peacock. one store said they could get one but it could come in as an atlantic mantis lol..

Martini5788
01/25/2016, 04:42 PM
I paid 150 for xena, so I'm losing my mind over 37. He also said he can order from a category called "colored mantis shrimp" and that a lot of different species come in. I might do that, and just see what I get. Not sure yet though. If I did that, I would probably do it way down the line when I get the 40 breeder setup again and use the other 40 I have as a sump and just make a large fuge section for a second mantis. I am tempted though. It's the only way I would get one of the harder to find species, but I would be lucky if that happened

nmotz
01/26/2016, 10:05 AM
I think it is more likely you'll get a common Gonodactylid or an O. Scyllarus though. $37 is a great deal if you do get a Peacock. If I were you I'd put in a request at blue zoo for a small one. They are really good about getting smaller size Peacocks, but they are indeed expensive (especially with shipping).

Having had my Peacock in a 40B for around 7 months now, here are some thoughts: I think the 40B w/40B sump idea would really work well for any mantis. Get a plant growing bulb to put in one of those cheap home depot light fixtures and you'll grow piles of Chaetomorpha. You'll never have a nutrient problem, especially if you run a skimmer with it. One observation I have made though is that even a 40B looks too small for a Peacock sometimes (at least to me). They just roam so much. If you watch dive videos, you'll often see people following Peacocks around on the ocean floor and they roam for LONG distances. If I ever upgrade, I'm going to get a custom built glass tank with a huge footprint, maybe up to 6' long. I'll keep it relatively short (14-16" tall) and maybe 16" wide. A 72 x 14 x 16 tank is 70 gallons and I think I could manage that.

Martini5788
01/26/2016, 12:17 PM
I think it is more likely you'll get a common Gonodactylid or an O. Scyllarus though. $37 is a great deal if you do get a Peacock. If I were you I'd put in a request at blue zoo for a small one. They are really good about getting smaller size Peacocks, but they are indeed expensive (especially with shipping).

Having had my Peacock in a 40B for around 7 months now, here are some thoughts: I think the 40B w/40B sump idea would really work well for any mantis. Get a plant growing bulb to put in one of those cheap home depot light fixtures and you'll grow piles of Chaetomorpha. You'll never have a nutrient problem, especially if you run a skimmer with it. One observation I have made though is that even a 40B looks too small for a Peacock sometimes (at least to me). They just roam so much. If you watch dive videos, you'll often see people following Peacocks around on the ocean floor and they roam for LONG distances. If I ever upgrade, I'm going to get a custom built glass tank with a huge footprint, maybe up to 6' long. I'll keep it relatively short (14-16" tall) and maybe 16" wide. A 72 x 14 x 16 tank is 70 gallons and I think I could manage that.

Yeah I would order a small one. The different categories are peacock mantis, lime green mantis, and colored mantis. The guy that owns the shop says that every time he has ordered a peacock mantis from them, it has come in as a peacock not another species. And he has kept several different types of mantis in the past. He is actually a mantis shrimp owner as well, so he knows the different species. I also told him that if I were to order a peacock from him and it came in as something else that I didn't want, then I would take it.