PDA

View Full Version : Setting Replacement Mode?

Aquattro
12/12/2015, 12:59 AM
Anyone know how to do this properly? Support gave me directions, but they were closed by the time I got my unit. The instructions given don't work on my unit, I don't have the menu item where they said it would be. FW is 4.20 on this new base, but I don't want to update it until I know that I should or have the replacement mode set.

slief
12/12/2015, 11:59 AM
Anyone know how to do this properly? Support gave me directions, but they were closed by the time I got my unit. The instructions given don't work on my unit, I don't have the menu item where they said it would be. FW is 4.20 on this new base, but I don't want to update it until I know that I should or have the replacement mode set.

You will need to update the base unit to the latest version to get to the hidden replacement mode menu. Make sure you do a backup of your old unit and also make sure to get a screen shot of the module list and their addresses from the module setup page in the native Apex web interface (not fusion).

Aquattro
12/12/2015, 12:02 PM
I think you will need to update the base unit to the latest version to get to the hidden replacement mode menu.

Yes, you are correct. I updated to the current 4.40 and had the setting available.
FWIW, it didn't help and my "restore" only restored my user ID and email info. Nothing else transferred over. Left me with 16 modules, some types I've never owned.
It's been a long 4 hours so far this morning. Still not finished :(

Aquattro
12/12/2015, 12:04 PM
As for screen shots, I was only able to get a shot of the dashboard, nothing else before it died. I did not have a BU of the same version of FW, if that matters.
I've rebuilt from scratch, have EB8_4 and _5 instead of sequenced in order, but that works and I'm not inclined to mess with it at this stage.

slief
12/12/2015, 04:17 PM
Yes, you are correct. I updated to the current 4.40 and had the setting available.
FWIW, it didn't help and my "restore" only restored my user ID and email info. Nothing else transferred over. Left me with 16 modules, some types I've never owned.
It's been a long 4 hours so far this morning. Still not finished :(

The replacement mode only adds the modules back in the order/device address that they were in on the previous base unit. Device address info from the last connection is stored in the modules themselves. When you put the new Apex base unit into replacement mode, that will allow the modules to be retained in their original order with the new base unit once you connect them. This is why having a complete backup of the previous config is import. Once you connect the modules to the new base unit, you should be able to do a restore from the previous backup and that will restore the previous programming and settings assuming that everything went back in the original order. The key to this is not connecting the modules to the new base unit until that new base unit is in replacement mode. If you do connect them to the new base before you are in replacement mode, there may be duplicate modules but worse, the addresses will not be in the correct order and the restore will not work right.

This is why it's important to have a screen shot of the module list from the original base unit so you can double check things and a good backup of the settings and programming. I always do a backup of my settings and config when I make changes and I save those backups in dated folders. I also take screen shots of my module list when I add new devices and save those screen shots as well.
It's also recommended that the backup be done with the same firmware version of the new base unit whenever possible. That said, I keep a preprogrammed base unit on hand that is ready to go at a moments notice.

I have tested the replacement mode and restore before and it works very well if you follow the instructions to a "T". I suspect somewhere in there, you may have missed something.

Aquattro
12/12/2015, 04:23 PM
I suspect somewhere in there, you may have missed something.

Yes, I suspect you're correct :) I suppose had I known the purpose of the setting, that may have helped, but this entire fiasco has been mostly self guided.
All things considered, I made up the process quite well and it only took me 6 hours to get back up and running. :)

slief
12/12/2015, 05:16 PM
Yes, I suspect you're correct :) I suppose had I known the purpose of the setting, that may have helped, but this entire fiasco has been mostly self guided.
All things considered, I made up the process quite well and it only took me 6 hours to get back up and running. :)

I have my Apex connected to Reeftronics.net
There is a useful feature there that allows you to display and save all of your outlet programming and profiles as a text and pdf file. I keep backups from that as well just in case I ever need to reconstruct things or refer to my programming. It's nice because you can copy and paste your programming from the file if you ever need to. Use of their site does require port forward and dynamic DNS if your ISP doesn't provide you with a static IP for your internet gateway/router address.
Here is a link to my programming so you can see what it looks like.
http://www.reeftronics.net/programns.php?member=scottl

There is also a command line function through telnet that you can display and copy all your programming so you can put it in a text file. I forgot the command but it's an option as well for making a text based backup of all your programming.

Aquattro
12/12/2015, 05:27 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look at that. I think you can export via one of the XMLs too, but I've never done it. Overall, except for pump profiles, it's all pretty basic, and I can type out commands without reference code. Most of my stuff is simple Time commands, feed modes, lighting with temp shut off, etc. Just frustrating recreating it while the tank does all kinds of weird things :)