PDA

View Full Version : Tunze osmolator sensor fail

Reverend Reefer
12/12/2015, 08:18 AM
Can it be that my Tunze osmolator has actually stopped working? For the past couple of days I've noticed my salinity has been off and have been doing water changes to try to fix the issue until I realized my osmolator hasn't been topping off my sump. So I started playing around with it, mostly because I have read here and there that the pumps eventually go but in my case, the pump still works. It's that fancy sensor that has stopped working. When I dunk the sensor in water, the little controller says too much water, but then when I lift it out of the water, the pump doesn't turn on to start filling water. When I unplug the controller and plug it back in, the pump turns on. I looked over the Tunze website and couldn't find a replacement part for that sensor. Am I SOL and needing to buy a whole new osmolator or is this some kind of fixable thing?

rvitko
12/14/2015, 10:13 AM
The float is what triggers the too high, not the optic sensor which turns the pump off and on. I would first try soaking the optic sensor in vinegar for a few hours, if it has a haze when dry that is calcium deposits that are rendering it "blind". If that does not solve it, the optic sensor is available, generally installed only as soldering is required, but they run $28.80 in the US.