PDA

View Full Version : Peacock v crabs?

Jlentz
12/12/2015, 03:35 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/dcce9d48bfa8378a9a0147d165c7dcef.jpg

Anyone else have a peacock that seems ambivalent about crabs?

Martini5788
12/12/2015, 07:54 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/12/dcce9d48bfa8378a9a0147d165c7dcef.jpg

Anyone else have a peacock that seems ambivalent about crabs?

Yes. Xena pretty much refuses to kill anything at this point. She lives with s pistol shrimp, emerald crabs, hermit crabs, snails( which on the rare occasion she will eat), a tail
Spot blenny, and a six line wrasse. The pistol shrimp and the wrasse share the burrow with her more often than not

Jlentz
12/12/2015, 10:25 PM
He eats about one snail a day. Just nothing to do with crabs. Weird.

He swam up to the top of the tank (90) today to snatch some LRS fish frenzy which was impressive.

Jlentz
12/12/2015, 10:26 PM
Lives with a firefish, 4 chromis, 4 yellowtail damsels, a lawnmower blenny, and a copperband. I'm planning on getting rid of the chromis and damsels when I move the tank soon...

Kharn
12/12/2015, 11:39 PM
I think pure isolation is what brings out the inner "demon" within stomatopods.

All of mine were kept in their own tanks with no other inhabitants and they were the most aggressive stomatopods I had ever seen.

nmotz
12/13/2015, 09:53 AM
Mine goes nuts for little emeralds, but I've had Peacocks become indifferent towards crabs before and usually I find that it's when the crabs are too large for them to crack open. If he isn't full grown then some large crabs might be too big to be worth the effort of trying to break them open. This also applies for snails. If the snail is too tough, Neptune usually just tries to pull them out with his maxillipeds. If he can't do that, he throws them out of his burrow.

Jlentz
12/13/2015, 02:53 PM
He's been living with a small emerald for a month or two now and leaves it alone. He popped the new crab when it went near his burrow but then left it be. I think he prefers to just peel snails off the glass/rocks.

bryhan67
12/22/2015, 06:03 PM
cool

Kharn
12/23/2015, 02:00 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TO7ceBd.png

This is what my old fully grown peacock use to get as far as crabs went... :)

The mantis would never eat all of the large crabs so after the crab was "put down" by the giant smasher and the giant smasher had its "fill" of whatever it liked, the rest of the crab was divided up into smaller portions for the smaller smashers (like each of the legs of the crab went to a small smasher then some of the larger areas like body would go to my middle sized smashers).

In the end the crab would be nothing but cleaned picked shattered shells.

nmotz
12/23/2015, 08:29 PM
Yeah those are some great videos too, Kharn! Juggernaut was a really cool mantis for sure.

Kharn
12/24/2015, 02:22 PM
Yeah those are some great videos too, Kharn! Juggernaut was a really cool mantis for sure.

I'm hoping its successor proves to be just as energetic because I have spent far too much money on the new system and specifically filming and cinematography gear to not utterly eclipse all my work done in the past.