PDA

View Full Version : recommendation on a good algae eater

m0nkie
12/13/2015, 04:50 PM
Hi guys. I'd like some suggestions on an efficient algae eating fish. I don't have a huge problem, but I'd like to add several algae eaters, and later supplement with nori. Overall goal is to reduce Hands-in-Tank maintenance.. let nature take care of nature..

tank is 150gal.

current fish:
-1 spot foxface (baby fish, recently added.. working hard but not hard enough)
-3 flame wrasse
-2 ruby red dragonet
-1 file fish
-1 fathead anthias
-2 princess anthias
-1 Midas blenny

I don't want any hermits.. I have plenty snails, conch, and even tried sea hare. Don't want to add anymore inverts either.

Also, not looking for a tang!! Have enough to their problems in my other tanks!

thanks!

type of algae growing: ALOT!
-long hair algae
-moss looking algae that's probably bryposis
-chaeto sometimes make it to my DT and grows there..

m0nkie
12/13/2015, 04:56 PM
a lot of research points toward Blennies.. like a Lawnmower Blenny. will they work in larger sized tanks?

tjsmk8
12/13/2015, 05:09 PM
I was thinking Foxface before seeing that you already have one. Nothing's been better in my experience. Maybe just give it more time while working on nutrient control.

jraker
12/13/2015, 05:29 PM
although i do not have much experience with lawnmower blennies, i hear that they are very efficient at eating algae.

scooter31707
12/14/2015, 10:18 AM
I have had luck with Foxfaces, Kole Tangs, and Lawnmower Blennies, which is my favorite. He is constantly grazing and eats about any type of algae.

mandarin417
12/14/2015, 11:01 AM
Lawnmower Blennies are very hard workers and I had one from day one in the tank. When I had a macro algae outbreak in the new tank I added a fox face and a sea hare as well as a bag of RowaPhos in my filter sock. In 3 days the tank was pretty much algae free. I pulled out the Rowaphos and sent the sea hare on to another tank. I liked the antics of the sea hare.

m0nkie
12/14/2015, 05:47 PM
thanks!

Do you guys know if Lawnmower Blennies are compatible with Red Scooter Blenny? I know the red scooter is more of a dragonet.. but it's still a Blenny?

jraker
12/14/2015, 06:40 PM
In a 150 they should have plenty of room to establish their own territories.

CoralsAddiction
12/14/2015, 06:50 PM
It's all about CUC for me. Pricey compared to buying a single fish but much more effective...less bioload, less feeding, less chance of introducing fish diseases, etc.

Martini5788
12/14/2015, 07:32 PM
thanks!

Do you guys know if Lawnmower Blennies are compatible with Red Scooter Blenny? I know the red scooter is more of a dragonet.. but it's still a Blenny?

Nope eats pods. Dragonet all the way. I have a starry blenny and he does a pretty decent job. I have heard lawnmowers are better though.

Genera
12/14/2015, 07:35 PM
Sailfin Mollies

m0nkie
12/26/2015, 04:38 PM
thanks guys. I finally found a lawnmower around the area.

I saw these black salifin mollies. pretty interesting. I may get a couple.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=954+1022&pcatid=1022