PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Aquatraders T5 lighting. Why so cheap?

Lostinthedark
12/13/2015, 05:42 PM
I'm thinking of switching to T5s and came across these:
http://www.aquatraders.com/60-inch-4x80W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52306.htm
Aquatraders 80w quads.
I was thinking of buying 2 fixtures to put over my 225 gal 30" deep tank. I was going to seperate them in the middle with a trio of led fixtures for a best of both wordls type of scenario. Is there a real reason to buy an ati power light for $2300 or will this setup work just as well? I already have the leds. They are Ocean Revives that keep burning out but I plan on repairing them.
From most of the comments in my other thread anyone who went back to T5s have been very happy with the switch

atreis
12/13/2015, 05:52 PM
I used one on my fuge for a while. Build quality wasn't the best, but it worked (and still does, although I switched to a more efficient LED bulb).

They're cheap because they're cheaply made - low end reflectors and build quality isn't great. Mine had painted white plastic reflectors, not even reflective aluminum. While they work, there are really better options if you're looking to do more than just provide light for humans (e.g. provide light for coral).

seamonster124
12/13/2015, 09:10 PM
I had their halide/compact combo and the ballast and bulbs were horrible.

atreis
12/14/2015, 05:57 PM
I had their halide/compact combo and the ballast and bulbs were horrible.

Their halides are famous for being awful. Their other lights aren't as bad.

andrew.gimlin
12/14/2015, 09:28 PM
I just installed an oddysea 96w t5ho with built in timer on my 10g and love the customizability of the fixture. Only downside I have seen so far is how the bulbs mount and the fan barely pushes any air, but my last fixture didn't have a fan at all so I'm not complaining. I'm running two ati blue plus, one purple plus, and a 10k that came with the fixture until I can replace it with a coral plus

gus6464
12/14/2015, 09:33 PM
Hmm why so cheap? Let's see.

crap ballasts
crap reflectors
crap airflow
crapness

shifty51008
12/16/2015, 02:29 AM
Well you will have to replace the bulbs right away and the reflectors are junk, reflectors and bulbs are what makes t5's so good.

Lostinthedark
12/16/2015, 07:26 AM
Yeah. I think I'll pass and save for a real fixture.
Thanks everyone.

andrew.gimlin
12/17/2015, 02:15 PM
Well you will have to replace the bulbs right away and the reflectors are junk, reflectors and bulbs are what makes t5's so good.
Most "good" fixtures don't even come with bulbs, so you have to buy them anyway but the reflectors is a very valid point

Mussin
12/17/2015, 04:49 PM
I used a small 20" one for a 10g build. Actually grew corals nicely, just softies, zoas and frogspawn.

mrbigshot
12/21/2015, 06:30 AM
i've been using one as a temporary setup until i build a new light in the spring, mine vibrates all the time and drives the family crazy. one of my powerheads must be vibrating the tank a bit because its really loud.

the bulbs are beyond garbage so you will have to replace them as soon as you get it, the led moonlights fail after a month or so. the reflectors are shiny just one piece that's flat except for the edges of the fixture, it will do nothing for growth as we know reflectors are 60% of a t5's ability to penetrate.

its ok for what it does. depending on the depth of the tank it will work but it's really cheap. for me it works on my 40 br for the time being, if you can build one you will be much better off. brs has some decent reflectors and or kits as well as coralvue has some clearance reflectors that are cheap (the did when i bought mine so you might want to check), some waterproof endcaps and some workhorse ballasts and your all set. it would be much better in the long run.