PDA

View Full Version : Salt water and a septic system

BrettDS
12/13/2015, 08:03 PM
So I'm going to be moving into a new house soon and my 75G reef tank will be coming with me... Although I'm fighting the temptation to upgrade to a larger tank as a move it.

The new house has a septic system, and I've never lived in a house with a septic system before, so it has me a bit nervous. Should I be concerned with dumping large amounts of salt water down the drain or is it really not a problem? Would it be better to dump the water outside somewhere? Although then I'd be afraid of killing grass or plants

Bogue Chitto
12/13/2015, 08:11 PM
I have a septic system and dump a fair amount of saltwater in it. I haven't noticed any problems yet. If you had a ditch near by that would probably be more of a peace of mind for you.

s_kelley
12/13/2015, 08:17 PM
I'm in the same situation w my house and wanted to plumb my tank into the septic, my father works for a wastewater treatment facility as a lab tech and told me that salt water would wreak havoc in the septic tank. It kills the good bacteria in there and will deteriorate the concrete over time. I dump mine at the wood line in the rear of my property just to be safe. Just my 2cents

lo7100
12/13/2015, 08:31 PM
It depends on how much salt water you will dump to the septic tank. Mostly, the septic tank is about 1000-1500 gallons. If you do a 30 gallons water change once a week, I don't see it's a problem (30g salty dilute to 1000g fresh water)
If you are dumping 300 gallons a week, then it may be an issue.
I see that you have a 75g tank and I don't think you need to worry at all.

AdInfinitum
12/13/2015, 09:42 PM
It depends on how much salt water you will dump to the septic tank. Mostly, the septic tank is about 1000-1500 gallons. If you do a 30 gallons water change once a week, I don't see it's a problem (30g salty dilute to 1000g fresh water)
If you are dumping 300 gallons a week, then it may be an issue.
I see that you have a 75g tank and I don't think you need to worry at all.

+1 ... I have been running a 200gal fish and softies system and a 180gal mixed reef for many years on septic and haven't had an issue. So a 75 is no issue at all...seawater has about the same specific gravity as urine and we don't worry about that going into the septic...LOL