PDA

View Full Version : 2 component sump?

Sapelo
12/14/2015, 05:49 AM
The 2nd hand 300 gallon tank I purchased was set up with two separate boxes as a sump system. We did a little re-configuring when we plumbed it, but not knowing any better we went with the two units.
The first component is about 30 gallons and has the overflow pipes, two filter socks, baffling and our protein skimmer. It also holds various other equipment like dosing lines, ph meter, heaters, etc. The return pump is external but plumbed from here.
The second component is a two part cube that holds about 50 gallons. We set it up as a refugium. Part of one overflow line comes into this box and then a small pump moves water from here into the first box.
Of course the problem is equilibrating the water level between the two. Since the skimmer is in the first box, if we send water from the second box too slowly or too quickly we run the skimmer dry or overrun it.
I'd also like to add an auto-top off but since the water can fluctuate between the two boxes there is no way for an auto-top off to work correctly.

I've wondered if simply drilling and plumbing the two components into one -- with something large like 2" -- would work. Would there be enough passive water flow between the two with a return pump or will I always fight to maintain water levels. This has become the most frustrating part of the aquarium and I'm ready to have something easier to deal with.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Vinny Kreyling
12/14/2015, 09:30 AM
The section with the return pump should be the last section, no return lines here, otherwise it's water in water out.
Everything else should be done in the 1st chamber & this is where the ATO should be.
No fuge with this configuration.
A sketch would be helpful since I would think a 300 should be about 150 for a sump.