PDA

View Full Version : Palytoxin treatment question

FireEater
12/15/2015, 07:00 AM
Looks like I am headed to Urgent Care sometime this morning. I woke up to my eyes being glued shut from the mucous.

So my question is to those who have experienced this before.

Is there a certain anti-biotic I should tell the Doctor that would work best for Palytoxin?

Here is what I posted last night in the sticky explaining it all:

After 15 years in the hobby, I got complacent and it cost me.

Yesterday, I spent about 6 hours weeding out my 29g zoa tank of the ugly brown Palys that were taking over.

This is before

This is after

I usually just get dizzy when I mess with them, nothing more. A few times I was not bothered by them. But this time, I got hit pretty bad.

After I was done at about 1800, I ate and started to watch Sunday Night Football. About the third quarter I started feeling flu like symptoms coming on.

Then once the game was over, the flu like symptoms had hit me full force. I had the chills real bad, my skin was hurting, body got real achy, I couldn't breath deeply without coughing as my lungs ached. I was running a low grade fever of 99.7.

I took a long hot shower, but as soon as I got out, the chills were relentless. Got dressed and under the covers to warm up. Tossed and turned with the chills, sweats, and labored breathing all night.

Woke up this morning at 0630 worn out. Stayed in bed until sometime around 1100, which is very rare for me. The labored breathing had stopped sometime around 0400 I think. The chills stopped around the same time.

I got up several times during the night to pee as I drank so much water before bed. At about 0330 I got up because my eyes were dried shut. I put contact solution in them and tried to remove my contacts.

I was so out of it still and had trouble removing them. This morning they were both red with my right one really sore. Actually, the eyeball itself is really sore. Both are still red as of now, 12 hours later. The right eye still hurts pretty good.

Both have yellowish puss in them. So even after that long hot shower, I must still have had the toxin on my fingers.

Both thumbs are sore and swollen, including my left finger. I was using a stainless wire brush to get a bunch of Palys off a few rocks I wanted to reuse.

As you can see from the pics, the wires acting like little hypodermic needles, injecting the toxins under my skin. They have swelled up some since this morning.

This morning

About 30 minutes ago

I can only blame myself for being so lax when it came to doing this. I have spotted a few of the Palys left that opened up today. I will dig definitely wear gloves when I remove them.

I seem to be over the major part of it. But if the swelling in my fingers do not go down tomorrow and my eyes still hurt, I'll leave work and go to the Urgent Care.

I'm at the FD tomorrow for my 24 hour shift. I'm driving the ambulance, so I don't want to feel like crap, then get beat down all shift with sick calls making it worse.

Taahirs
12/15/2015, 07:18 AM
Oh man. That looks awful.

Opus123
12/15/2015, 01:17 PM
Benadryl has always worked for me, though I've never had flu like symptoms.

FireEater
12/15/2015, 06:28 PM
Went to the Urgent Care today. When she asked why I was there, I said Palytoxin. I said that the Doctor most likely doesn't know what it is, but he's about to learn. She laughed.

The Doctor that came in is one of the ones I know from Mainland ER when I transport patients there from my FD job. He said he had no clue what Palytoxin was, and to please explain it all to him. Once I explain it all and what happened, we agreed that the only thing to do now was treat the symptoms I had from the toxin.

Both of my eyes are pretty messed up, with my right eye starting to get blurry. Not much, but enough to make me go to the urgent care. He did examine them for any type of abrasions just to rule that out.

He prescribed three meds, Mupirocin Ointment 2% for my fingers, Vigamox .5% for my eyes and Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg caps.

If it wasn't for getting the toxin in my eyes, I would have put this behind, lesson learned, don't get complacent in this hobby.

Both eyes hurt pretty good, and I mean the actual eyeballs which is weird. Right eye is still a little blurry, but it hasn't progressed.

kjay88
12/15/2015, 09:30 PM
Man I hope this get out of your system soon take care

organism
12/16/2015, 01:24 AM
I had something really similar happen when a some polyps I was fragging exploded into my eyes, not fun at all it felt like getting maced with battery acid. It's a neurotoxin so all you can do is grin and bear it for a few days, hope you feel better soon!

FireEater
12/16/2015, 11:03 PM
Eyes are clearing up a little bit. Right eye is still a little blurry. The draining has slowed down though. I can already tell that the right eye will be glued closed by morning though.

Coelli
12/16/2015, 11:13 PM
Eyes are clearing up a little bit. Right eye is still a little blurry. The draining has slowed down though. I can already tell that the right eye will be glued closed by morning though.

I've been following along but hadn't said anything - just wanted to post and say I hope it clears up soon!

CLJ94104
04/07/2018, 10:36 PM

How did this end for you, my friend? Hopefully you recovered fully. Any other treatments used to combat the toxin?

rvareef
04/08/2018, 06:09 AM
you should be ok, takes a few days to clear up, just like having a bad cold/allergies

aznflyfisherman
04/09/2018, 11:48 AM
IMO I think your pretty luck that’s all the symtoms you have and your breathing was ok. That looks like a lot of polys you were messing with. You did a great job at clearing them out though...hope all is well...

sde1500
04/12/2018, 08:46 AM
you should be ok, takes a few days to clear up, just like having a bad cold/allergies

I'll guess since he's had 3 years, his symptoms are likely cleared up.

Fylerb
04/12/2018, 05:52 PM
Hopefully ended well for him

BeachBumm
04/12/2018, 06:27 PM
He Gone !! Just Kidding , just had too !:wildone: