PDA

View Full Version : How long have you left your reef system without lighting?

Am17
12/15/2015, 05:52 PM
So my lighting failed on me and I'm getting a replacement soon. How long have you guys gone without lighting for your aquarium? Fortunately my setup is next to a window so the corals will have ambient lighting for now.

Pet Detective
12/15/2015, 07:17 PM
I would think a week or two would be fine, although not ideal, but i am assuming you will correct this before 2 weeks? I have gone 1 week before without turning my lights on, no problems.

rfgonzo
12/15/2015, 07:49 PM
My frag tank has a 175MH over it, and its in the basement so I don't look at it much. I noticed one day when I went downstairs that the MH was off, when it should have been on
( ballast went bad ) I asked my wife if she noticed if the lights have been coming on since she goes downstairs everyday. She told me she hasn't seen the light on in weeks. When I finally got lights over it, coral (sps) looked dead but after about a week and a half of light everything bounced right back. However I wouldn't suggest going that long if at all possible.

Sk8r
12/15/2015, 08:24 PM
Well, recently, 8 days, and my corals all lived, upstairs, just on room light such as it was in 8 days with no power. In the sump, without light, the cheato was a messb.

But that's not optimum.

Suggest you go to a hardware, get a shoplight clip and a 6500 k daylight 100 w bulb, and use that until you get your lights.

Am17
12/15/2015, 08:31 PM
I would think a week or two would be fine, although not ideal, but i am assuming you will correct this before 2 weeks?.

I'd start worrying about my own sanity if my reef's without lighting for two weeks.

CafeReef
12/15/2015, 09:11 PM
My work tank 7 gallon pico, goes lights out every weekend. Sooooo clear on mondays :)

jrr98002
12/15/2015, 10:03 PM
I also went 8 days when Gustav hit Baton Rouge back in (insert year here, I can't remember) and everything was fine.

foundnemo11
12/16/2015, 03:45 PM
I went 4 days with no power at all.. tank was cold but everything survived.. just had to move water by hand every few hours..