PDA

View Full Version : Dosing question

squarebob
12/16/2015, 08:02 AM
This is my first time dosing and I have built a drip dosing setup. I know I can't mix the supplements together but can I dilute a supplement with RO/DI to have it drip in over a longer period of time?

dkeller_nc
12/16/2015, 08:35 AM
Yes. So long as you don't exceed the evaporation rate of your tank (and thereby lower the specific gravity of the water), there's no reason why you can't dilute 2-part solutions.

However, realize that a lot of us simply add the required amount daily as a bolus dose (i.e., all at once), and don't bother with dripping it into the tank/sump over an extended period.

nuttyd
12/16/2015, 08:54 AM
Wouldnt be so concerned about mixing them. As long as its not a large dosing requirement you can add both at the same time at opposite sides of tank. I dosing two parts in the morning one in the return pump section of sump, one in the filter sock portion. never had a problem.

Ron Reefman
12/17/2015, 06:45 AM
No reason you can't dilute the product you want to dose. Just don't dose them too close together.

I drip 300ml spread over the 24 hour day and both drip near each other but very close to the intake of the return pump in the sump. It's a 2 line medical grade doser I got in an ebay auction for $30. He sells them refurbished for $175 and new for $350.

squarebob
12/17/2015, 05:33 PM
Thanks everyone. The drip doser is working just fine. About a half cup of RO/DI and "x" ml of additive. Drip rate about 1 drop per second into the sump. No hot spots with this method!