PDA

View Full Version : Re-setting 40 breeder MH vs T-5 vs Led

jhowerton
12/17/2015, 06:22 AM
Need some opinions please.

My one year old 40 breeder is infested with aptasia, I think they came in on a bunch of cheato I bought at a local LFS. My corals never grew well or rtn'd, etc.

So its time to start over. Cook the rock, clean everything really well, try a different salt. I've been using a Marsaqua 300 and am completely lost on getting it adjusted properly.

Goal: Mixed reef LPS/SPS

Option 1: Get a par meeter so I can get the led's properly adjusted?

Option 2: Get a 250 watt MH T-5 combo fixture?

Option 3: Get a 6 bulb T-5?

40 breeder
20L sump
Bean overflow
SC-302 skimmer
Tunze ATO

Thanks for your thoughts
...JIM...

shifty51008
12/17/2015, 06:32 AM
You would be fine with a 175 watt mh for that size tank and a good reflector but i would go with the mh/t5 combo, a plug and play option and great growth.

Ron Reefman
12/17/2015, 08:05 AM
Getting your led adjusted isn't rocket science. And nobody in your area has a PAR meter you can borrow or rent? Gees. I don't get to your area too often, but I'm considering a trip to Gulf Coast Eco Systems in Bradenton. If I go I'd bring you my PAR meter. What exactly was giving you problems? Over a 40 breeder I'd guess you'd be about 30-50 white and 70-90 blue. The MarsAqua is a bit weaker than most of the other Chinese fixtures at 1.9watt/led vs 2.2wqatts/led. But getting a PAR of 200 to the bottom should be easy.

moondoggy4
12/17/2015, 04:43 PM
Cook = Light Deprivation I would not start again I would put in a a half dozen of Berghia Nudia's.

alton
12/17/2015, 07:47 PM
Cook = Light Deprivation I would not start again I would put in a a half dozen of Berghia Nudia's.

I agree

jhowerton
12/17/2015, 10:55 PM
Shifty thanks for the advice, I'm leaning that way.

Ron, I haven't tried borrowing a par meeter. If I stay with the LED's I'll buy one for future adjustments.

Moondoggy4 & Alton. I'll give it a try I really don't want to break it all the way down.

alton
12/18/2015, 06:21 AM
Buy large and be patient it may take up to 6 months. Its fun to watch as aptasia will start jumping on your glass trying to get away from the Berghias. Watch your glass for egg strings so you don't damage them, and some providers will sell egg strings also.