PDA

View Full Version : Need help - white spot?

emk35
12/17/2015, 10:55 AM
I have a mimic filefish in a 10 gallon quarantine tank right now. All has been going well - he has been eating great and I have not observed any signs of stress/discomfort (at least to my novice eye). Yesterday I noticed one tiny white spot on him. It is very hard to see and I only noticed it after sitting there for several minutes eyeing him up close. I can't get a picture because it is on a white part of his body so it's only visible from just the right angle when he is facing almost exactly facing me.

So I'm trying to figure this out.....is this ich? Is there anything else it could potentially be? Any way for me to tell or anything I can do to try and figure it out? I don't know if I should start treating for ich or if there is something else I should be doing. I have never had any type of disease or subsequent treatment to deal with before so I am totally new to this (outside of all the reading I've done).

I should add: this is my first time setting up a quarantine tank and going through the quarantine process. I didn't even know people did that the last time I had a tank! I can say that I sure am glad that he is in a quartantine tank right now. Even if it turns out not to be ich I would be much, much more stressed out right now if he was in my main tank!

emk35
12/18/2015, 06:41 PM
Any recommendations?

If this is likely ich, is there any reason why a file fish could not handle cupramine? I have some on hand (as well as a copper test) but I have never used it before. I'm trying to search here as much as I can to figure out if I need to start treating or if this is likely something else and I should just sit tight and continue to observe. Do I need a picture to get help?

ThRoewer
12/18/2015, 06:54 PM
I would rather do TTM than expose a fish to an immunosuppressant toxin which copper is.
Also TTM will get the fish clean in less than two weeks whereas copper needs to be dosed much longer and you still have to do at least 2 transfers if you don't want to go 72 days.

pyithar
12/19/2015, 07:44 AM
I would rather do TTM than expose a fish to an immunosuppressant toxin which copper is.
Also TTM will get the fish clean in less than two weeks whereas copper needs to be dosed much longer and you still have to do at least 2 transfers if you don't want to go 72 days.

that's what i would do as well. i've been doing TTM on all incoming fish since all the fish stores around here have ich in their tanks.

microlady
12/19/2015, 12:30 PM

Agree 100%

emk35
12/21/2015, 02:47 PM
OK so I'm confused - I thought the 72 days was the time your main tank had to go fishless if you had a fish in there with ich? How does the 72 days apply to the quarantine tank?

Also, I only have 1 quarantine tank. I don't think I can set up another tank. I do have several 5 gallon buckets though. Can I use those as "tanks" if I decided to do the tank transfer method?

I'm still wondering too - is there a way for me to verify that this is indeed ich? I'm still struggling with that part. I see one tiny spot that I'm honestly surprised I even spotted. It is very hard to notice it. I have seen no other signs of anything. I'm just wondering from people who have experience with this if I can look for anything to help me figure it out. Is there anything else that would cause that or is it pretty much just ich?

I'm not trying to be in denial if that's what I'm dealing with. I just don't want to go through all of this if it is not necessary. This fish was nervous and seemed stressed for a full day or two when he first went in this tank. He seems comfortable in there now but I'm imagining switching him to a new place every few days will mean he is going to be stressed the entire time (not to mention my stress as to whether I am doing everything correctly). I will do what needs to be done because obviously I don't want ich (or something else) in my main tank. But if it could be something that doesn't require all that I would prefer not to have to do it. I guess I just don't trust my own ability to tell if that is what I am dealing with here.

pyithar
12/21/2015, 07:46 PM
it'll only take 12 days (4 transfers)to complete tank transfer method. i use 5 gallon buckets when i do ttm on small fishes.

i've had some fish that are partially ich immune. no white spots, no scratching whatsoever but they still carry ich. that's why i don't take the risk anymore.

emk35
12/23/2015, 08:22 AM
OK, so I can use my buckets to do this. All I would need in them is a heater and an airstone connected to an air pump, is that correct? With no biological filter will I likely need prime or are they ok because they are only in each "tank" for 2-3 days? Will I need to buy another heater for this? Right now I have 2 extras (other than one in main tank) - 1 is in my current quarantine tank, the other I use for water changes.

I think this is going to have to wait until after the holidays as we are going away for a couple of days for New Years. I may make it back within that 72 hour period but it would be cutting it close. I would hate to miss it and have to start all over again. I also would worry about potential ammonia in the tank if I am not here to monitor closely.

pyithar
12/23/2015, 10:16 AM
yes, that's correct. two heaters would be enough. after each transfer, wash/clean and dry it for a few days and ready for next use. i always use 4 sets of airline tubing and airstones since they're cheap and i'm too lazy to clean them after each transfer so i toss them. i usually use prime on the second day just to be on the safe side. each transfer period should be less than 72 hours. good luck.

emk35
12/24/2015, 08:04 AM
OK so I think my plan is to assume that it is ich and do the TTM after I return from our New Years trip. I have a few questions:

Since the fish shows no signs of distress - only has the one white spot should I be ok to wait until then to do anything?

Regarding cleaning the tanks/equipment between transfers - can I do this by just rinsing everything in vinegar/water or is there a special process to get everything sterilized?

I assume I need to do the same to the current quarantine tank as well including throwing out the sponge filter for the air pump that is currently in there and it will need to get newly set up again for the next fish?

Is it necessary to have the pvc pipes in each tank? This fish has never gone near them. He sleeps at night by biting onto the thermometer and hanging out by it. Should I have an ammonia alert badge for each transfer tank too? That is what I am currently using in the quarantine tank.

Should I also use prazipro? He came from diver's den and my understanding was they treat with that but I have it if necessary.

Thanks!

pyithar
12/24/2015, 11:31 AM
if the fish has only one white spot and it's staying at the same place for a week, then it's probably not ich. the trophonts should drop off of the fish body after 3 to 7 days if it's ich. so it's up to you to decide if you wanna do ttm or just observe the fish in the qt.

after each transfer, i rinse the bucket, pvc, heater, and the plastic colander that i use to catch the fish with water and let them dry for a couple of days.

if the current quarantine tank will be without any fish for at least 72 days, you won't need to throw away anything. if not, you'll need to throw away the water, sponge filter, etc and set up the tank as new for the next fish.

pvc elbows and tees are used as hiding place for some fish to reduce stress. if your fish is fine without them, you don't need to put them. i guess ammonia alert badge would be useful even though i've never used them. i just add some prime at the day 2.

some people use prazipro on 2nd and 4th buckets since you need to dose two rounds. you could also do it after the ttm. to me, prazipro is an important part of the quarantine process.

emk35
12/28/2015, 09:21 AM
OK, so is this a definite when it comes to the ich life cycle? The spot is still there and there are no new spots. Looking at the date I first posted, that would be 11 days ago. I think I first spotted it either that day or the day before. Knowing that it has been there that long, does that eliminate the possibility of ich or not necessarily? I am thinking right now, if TTM can take just 12 days and I am looking at practically that long and the spot is still there - then wouldn't TTM not have worked?

emj35
01/03/2016, 02:21 PM
I am back from my trip and the same white spot is still there. Is there anyone who can let me know if this means that this is not ich?

Spacekitty
01/03/2016, 02:40 PM
I am unsure whether it is ich, but I will say I would TTM every fish that came through even if it wasn't showing signs of ich. Ich doesn't always show, even if it is there. Better to grab the possibility of it now and take cere of it quickly and easily rather than it getting in your DT