PDA

View Full Version : Short spined urchin

Marchillo
12/17/2015, 07:34 PM
Got one of these Sunday to see if he would help with a small GHA breakout. I placed him on the sand to start and he almost immediately went on the glass. He basically does laps around the glass and will go on my magnetic rock that is on the glass as well.

Will he eventually make his way down and explore the rest of the tank? He's cool as heck so even if he doesn't help with the GHA I'm glad I have him.

Anyone with knowledge of these guys would be appreciated.

Thanks - Steve

ReefWhatYouSow
12/17/2015, 09:31 PM
I had one and he seemed to stay on the rocks and the glass, but mostly the glass. Never saw him on the sand.

fairl80z
12/17/2015, 09:39 PM
I have a pincushion urchin and I stays only on the rocks . And most of the time he stays on one rock the whole day , with a snail shell attached to him

Bpb
12/17/2015, 10:17 PM
I have a tuxedo urchin and a Florida pincushion. The Florida pincushion is infinitely more active and will cover every inch of the tank several times over each day. Sand, rocks, glass, powerheads, overflow. Everywhere. The tuxedo is just much slower moving but just as much of an equal opportunity algae eater.

I'd never have a tank without at least one pincushion urchin though. Sure, they'll pick up non-secured frags occasionally, and can stab you if you're not careful, but I have yet to come across any fish, snail, or crab that even comes close to eating as much algae as these guys do

Marchillo
12/18/2015, 05:27 AM
Thanks - so far he's lived solely on the glass and the magnetic rocks. I don't clean my back glass so it will take him a while to get through that, but ultimately I want him to venture onto my live rock. It sounds like he will if he's hungry enough.

ReefWhatYouSow
12/18/2015, 06:26 AM
I would also say that he might not touch the stuff if it is too long. In that case manually trim it and then let him go at it again.

Sapelo
12/18/2015, 07:25 AM
Ours is a rock and glass kinda guy. He has no interest in GHA but does love coraline (oh well!).
Regardless, I agree with you and above comments: they are an interesting addition and fun to watch

fairl80z
12/18/2015, 07:37 AM
You guys must have the cool urchins, mine in like the laziest thing ever , since I have had him it hasn't came off the rocks