PDA

View Full Version : Add lone Ignitus to DT or mix in with new batch

MammoDoc
12/18/2015, 01:45 PM
Hi All.

So only 1 of 6 Ignitus made it through QT and is ready to go into my DT. I'm getting a new batch of Ignitus tomorrow. Am I better off keeping the sole survivor in QT with the new batch for social/pecking order reeasons, or should I put her in the DT and let them sort it out when the new batch is ready to go into the DT? It would be the only anthias in the DT.

Thanks!

MammoDoc
12/18/2015, 07:58 PM
Anyone have an opinion?

Macimage
12/18/2015, 08:52 PM
I would keep it in a separate tank (you can pick up a cheap tank on craigslist), qt the new arrivals and then add them all at once to the dt.

MammoDoc
12/19/2015, 09:53 AM
I think my wife would kill me if I set up another tank :sad2:. I have an acclimation box, about 12 in. long, but that may stress her out if I keep her in there that long.

MammoDoc
12/19/2015, 12:06 PM
Well the new Ignitus arrived. They are substantially bigger than the 1 I have. Quite a size difference between small and medium from LA! So probably safe to put the 1 small one in the DT I would think.

CHSUB
12/19/2015, 01:27 PM
Well the new Ignitus arrived. They are substantially bigger than the 1 I have. Quite a size difference between small and medium from LA! So probably safe to put the 1 small one in the DT I would think.

i agree!!! i have tried Ignituses several times and they always die, hope you have better luck?

MammoDoc
12/19/2015, 02:14 PM
Thanks. I hope they survive, as well.

Macimage
12/19/2015, 03:05 PM

The only reason I would put the healthy one in a different tank than the new arrivals is because if the new ones are sick you may end up killing the one healthy one, not because of any size difference.

MammoDoc
12/19/2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks Mac. Yes, I understand and agree. Since it was only 1 of 6 to make it, I didn't want to expose it to anything new. I was concerned about territoriality in the DT before the new ones arrived. I'm now thinking the sole survivor will get picked on now seeing the size of "medium" :lmao:

Macimage
12/19/2015, 04:50 PM
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out for you. Hope they all make it!

MammoDoc
12/19/2015, 07:25 PM
Thanks! I'll let you know how they do.