PDA

View Full Version : easyest anemone to frag

fishy boy
12/18/2015, 11:05 PM
What would it be

Dkuhlmann
12/18/2015, 11:07 PM
Bubbletips are fairly easy to do, but they usually split fairly often on their own. Why do you ask?

ThRoewer
12/19/2015, 02:33 AM
You can't really "frag" anemones like you can frag corals or zoas - for that they would need to be multi polyp colonies. All you can do is cut an anemone along its center axis into two halves and hope both may survive.
Only very few of the host anemones - only those that split naturally - can also be forcefully split. Those are E quadricolor and H. magnifica. And of these not all varieties split - only some.

In general it is a bad idea and a bad practice. It shouldn't be done by force. If the anemone is ready and belongs to a cloning strain it will split on its own. Otherwise leave it alone.

The result of forcibly split BTAs over and over again is that todays BTAs are hardly larger than Majanos.
I still remember the old days when you could get monster BTAs fit to host a fully grown maroon pair for around $50.

fishy boy
12/19/2015, 07:57 PM
I now I didn't know what else too say, I'm starting a annenome tank to slowly make a little money because I'm 13 and I don't have a job

jonwright
12/21/2015, 08:08 AM
grow corals or macro.

ThRoewer
12/21/2015, 05:40 PM
This is a hobby where you primarily spend money. Making money with breeding or fragging is hart and often doesn't even recover the maintenance cost, let alone the initial investment.

My advice: if you want to make money look for something easier and more predictable like washing cars or mowing lawns.

edinphilly
12/21/2015, 06:45 PM
I now I didn't know what else too say, I'm starting a annenome tank to slowly make a little money because I'm 13 and I don't have a job

If you want to do that. Good, go for it and don't let anyone stop you. But, I do agree if you're just looking to make quick easy money this might not be the best route. You may lose money if you make mistakes. If you're into the hobby anyways and you just want to use your knowledge to make some money there is nothing wrong with it.

I applaud your work ethic. I was always trying to find ways to make money when I was your age too. And when I turned 15 I had my first "real" job. By 35 I bought a second (vacation) house with cash. Don't give up whatever you decide. You CAN do it.

fishy boy
12/21/2015, 11:36 PM
I know I will not get hardly any money just want to have some fun too

fishy boy
12/21/2015, 11:38 PM
But yes I also mow and some other random work

ThRoewer
12/22/2015, 12:45 AM
I know I will not get hardly any money just want to have some fun too

They have a name for people who intentionally hurt other living beings for fun...

edinphilly
12/22/2015, 02:34 PM
They have a name for people who intentionally hurt other living beings for fun...

They also have a name for people who hide behind a computer and pick on a kid. Get a life.

ThRoewer
12/22/2015, 04:16 PM
So you find it OK for kids to cut animals apart for fun?

C Dog
12/22/2015, 04:16 PM
I have cut smaller BTAs in half with just a razor blade. After I cut them I put them in a clear plastic floating fish breeders you can buy at petco. I did a couple and turned out fine.

fishy boy
12/22/2015, 05:02 PM
I don't cut animals. For fun,

fishy boy
12/22/2015, 05:03 PM
The tank is fun its self, I going to try fraging

fishy boy
12/22/2015, 05:06 PM
I don't think abusing things is fun I think it fun to take care of fish and watch them grow. I would never cut up a fish. I bet the anemone can't even feel pain

edinphilly
12/22/2015, 06:24 PM
So you find it OK for kids to cut animals apart for fun?

He's not even suggesting that. Good grief.

And yeah, I am fine with cutting nems to propagate them. I've done it successfully with mini maxis and RBTAs.

shifty51008
12/22/2015, 11:45 PM
Corals are for fragging.

akida
12/23/2015, 02:46 PM
Bubble tips are fine to cut imo. I cut a $500 sunburst BTA and some rainbows no problem. I'm also going to cut sometime in the next 2 weeks a coral collection inferno so I can split with a friend. Cutting a BTA is the same practice as them splitting just forced. Do I think you should propagate every BTA of course not but if you need to I don't see the problem with it. There are many high end rare BTA's that cost a boat load of money so splitting with friends I always found to be an option. Anemones love my water quality, it's not too clean but not dirty with loads of pods in it so I never had a cut BTA die on me before. Just make sure you have adequate water quality to ensure they will heal properly. All the high end BTA's that you see vendors selling are ALL cut and propagated so it's not like the BTA's we are buying aren't cut. I'd say more than half are cut.

shifty51008
12/23/2015, 10:52 PM
Im willing to bet not all are cut that are being sold, yes prob alot of them are but not all.

ThRoewer
12/23/2015, 11:19 PM
...All the high end BTA's that you see vendors selling are ALL cut and propagated so it's not like the BTA's we are buying aren't cut. I'd say more than half are cut.

One of the reasons why I don't buy those.

akida
12/24/2015, 04:34 PM
Good more for me!!

akida
12/24/2015, 04:35 PM
Im willing to bet not all are cut that are being sold, yes prob alot of them are but not all.

No not all of are cut but the majority are that's a fact.