PDA

View Full Version : Something strange and horrible is happening

dismayed
12/19/2015, 01:45 PM
I've had my tank up for around 7 or 8 years with no problems. All my coral and fish are getting pretty old but seemed healthy. I haven't added any new inhabitants of any kind in several years.

Here's where things get weird. I noticed one of my fish disappeared a while back... Didn't cause any alarm because as I said everybody's old. About a week later I had another fish disappear.

Water parameters are fine.

Last night my tank looked fine. I woke up this morning, and my fish appear to be gone. They're nowhere to be found. My bubble and pearl coral look completely decimated, like something ate them. My gorgonian looks like it's been bopped about, and is slightly out of its normal place. Mushrooms, polyps, and zoanthhids are untouched.

And to top it off, one or two pieces of small live rock in a separate area of the tank have been moved (I know this because a small mushroom that was on top is now on the side/bottom). Toppled over.

I'm horrified. My first thought is... Could this be damaged caused by some sort of predator? What am I looking for? Why now after all this time?

So far I've found a few bristle worms but nothing to write home about.

sculpin2
12/19/2015, 01:57 PM
Eunice worm.

mikeatjac
12/19/2015, 02:17 PM
Sounds like a gorilla crab. Set a trap.

dismayed
12/19/2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Man those bobbit worms are horrifying. How would I find and catch something like this?

Could be a gorilla crab. I'll see if I can buy a trap or find instructions for building one.

You know, I may remember hearing a strange clicking noise from my aquarium before, late at night. I never had a trigger so that's not it. Do either of those two predators make noises?

mikeatjac
12/19/2015, 02:32 PM
Maybe a Mantis shrimp. A trap with nylon hose will catch either.

FortyFour
12/19/2015, 04:00 PM
Did you add any live rock recently?

dismayed
12/19/2015, 04:02 PM
Nope haven't added rock or anything in about two years.

snorvich
12/19/2015, 04:17 PM
Eunice worm.

That would be my speculation.

seamonster124
12/19/2015, 05:49 PM
Angry wife

Buzz1329
12/19/2015, 08:02 PM
Uh, oh. Even without adding anything to tank for 2 yrs? What can be done to discourage these things?

Mike

disc1
12/19/2015, 10:14 PM
I haven't added any new inhabitants of any kind in several years.

If you haven't added anything new to the tank, then chances are that it's not a predator. They don't just magically appear out of nowhere. The theory of spontaneous generation was disproven since the late 17th century.

Pet Detective
12/19/2015, 10:17 PM
If you haven't added anything new to the tank, then chances are that it's not a predator. They don't just magically appear out of nowhere. The theory of spontaneous generation was disproven since the late 17th century.

Spontaneous combustion?

eddiereefs
12/19/2015, 10:21 PM
Mantis shrimp. It was a baby before, now its not...

disc1
12/19/2015, 10:22 PM
No, spontaneous generation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation).

Pet Detective
12/19/2015, 10:26 PM
No, spontaneous generation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation).

LOL David, I was yanking your chain!

disc1
12/19/2015, 11:00 PM
LOL David, I was yanking your chain!

The way they teach school these days you never know.

Bent
12/19/2015, 11:21 PM
Is it possible that something juvenile has worked its way up the food chain over the last few years?

Fishfreak_MA
12/20/2015, 01:56 AM
My first thought was gorilla crab but I wouldn't think the devastation would be so sudden. Starts small as they grow and then gets out of control.

Uglyman
12/20/2015, 02:29 AM
That would be my speculation.

Yep my thought to, Eunice worm.

I have one in my setup and the bigger they get the more they like to move stuff around. The one I have seen in my tank moves rocks and corals (especially frags) around so it can create it's own safe little tunnels to reach as many parts of the tank as possible so it can then munch on zoa's, acans and blasto's. I suspect mine is responsible for one missing scooter blenny and also recently a mandarin.

I am trying to get a new setup running so I can pull down my current system which is around ten years old and then hunt the Eunice worm down but with a new baby in our life it is not easy.

Good luck mate and hopefully it's not a 5 foot monster Eunice :uhoh2:

johnike
12/20/2015, 03:47 AM
The theory of spontaneous generation was disproven since the late 17th century.

The way they teach school these days you never know.

You sir, need to turn in that Lounge application you filled out.
;)
:)

Dkuhlmann
12/20/2015, 06:44 AM
My guess is also on the Eunice or Bobbit worm as it's so affectionately called.

dismayed
12/20/2015, 10:42 AM
Yeah, sadly that is what I am guessing too. I added a bunch of new coral and some rock about two years ago. Since then, I have occasionally noticed an "oddity" like disappearing small fish but never really thought much of it. In the last six months I've had some larger fish disappear but had just assumed it was old age. Then a week or two ago a bunch of my fish disappeared, and then this past week it has looked like an earthquake hit my tank, like something has been rummaging about.

I'm assuming I probably had a hitchhiker on the big batch of stuff I put in a couple years ago, and whatever it is has been growing since then and is now probably pretty big.

What's interesting is I fell asleep on the couch a couple weeks ago, before this, which is near my tank and I can watch it from the couch. Anyway, I had this really disturbing dream about an eel or snake in my tank. I'm starting to wonder now if I actually saw the thing as I was drifting off.

After watching videos online, I'm honesty scared of this thing LOL. So uh... If it's a worm, is this thing going to be soft and squishy like an earthworm, or does this thing have a hard exoskeleton? I have some reef keeping watertight rubber gloves that come up to my elbows... Would something like that protect me from its bite (I assume it can bite or sting)?

Btw thanks to the person who suggested the predator was an angry wife. Got a good laugh out of an otherwise sad situation.

Sk8r
12/20/2015, 10:49 AM
WOrm trap---tube with prongs lying flat on way in, will resist something trying to crawl out. Even if you just catch the front end of it.

Reel North
12/20/2015, 10:57 AM
Be very careful. I had a friend who got bitten by a small one a few years ago and his finger is still numb from it. They are awful, and they get huge. If it's moving the rocks, this may be a rumble in the jungle brother. As above - get a trap designed for worms, or you can try the ol 2 litre bottle cut and inverted.

I saw one on YouTube that was 4 ft long.

dismayed
12/20/2015, 11:08 AM
Yikes. Thanks for the heads up.

Reel North
12/20/2015, 01:55 PM
Please be very careful.

And take video!

dismayed
12/20/2015, 09:16 PM
I saw him tonight as he sliced through in and out of what was left of my pearl coral. He's big enough that half his body is anchored down and wrapped around a nearby rock, if that makes sense.

Before, I was thinking a turkey baster might get him but now I'm thinking I definitely need to set a trap.

There are other worms in the tank... I think they are bristle worms, but honestly they kind of look like baby versions of this guy. I'm going to try to get them all.

Is this a common occurrence / is this something every aquarium should prepare for at some point, or is it uncommon?

toothybugs
12/20/2015, 09:31 PM
I have a Eunice in my 'fuge. (I was smart enough to put my "wild" rock in there for a LONG while to smoke anything fun out...) Here is Karl, he's about 3 inches long right now:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5798/23369433572_d07cce3a43_c.jpg

I'm ready for him to get huge. Very happy to know I had this to deal with now than when Karl was most of a yard long.

dismayed
12/20/2015, 09:38 PM
That looks exactly like what I was just looking at.

How on earth can these things be avoided? Seems like when you set up a new aquarium and buy mass quantities of rock there would be no way to avoid them?

Makes me wonder if the GARF folks and their aragocrete rocks are the way to go.

nmotz
12/20/2015, 10:51 PM
You can just go straight dry rock. I did that and have zero hitchhiking pests in my tank as a result. It's more important to wait for everything to cycle properly with dry rock perhaps, but it's worth it because you can be certain that nothing weird is hiding in the rocks.

dismayed
12/21/2015, 05:17 AM
What about when buying new pieces of coral... Is there any realistic way to limit hitchhikers?

Dkuhlmann
12/21/2015, 05:30 AM
Dip them in Coral RX or similar, and very closely examine them for any eggs or flat worms or other.

Member No. 1
12/21/2015, 05:56 AM
What about when buying new pieces of coral... Is there any realistic way to limit hitchhikers?

A few things you can do to limit unwanted pests are:

Always dip your new corals. Then with a magnifying glass very carefully inspect the coral. Some pests, even with dipping will hold on tight and will need to be plucked off with tweezers.

Don't use the frag plug/rock it came on. Pest eggs could be hiding here, and dipping won't remove or kill them. I break/cut the frag off and either mount on a new plug or a piece of rubble rock that has been dry for a while. Every time I'm at my LFS, I browse thru their live rock holding bins and grab small pieces of rock. Then I rinse them well in fresh water and let air dry for a few weeks, rinse again, then throw them in my sump for when I might need them.

salty joe
12/21/2015, 06:38 AM
WOrm trap---tube with prongs lying flat on way in, will resist something trying to crawl out. Even if you just catch the front end of it.

If the worm broke, can the tail end regenerate into another whole worm?

How about injecting prazi into the bait? Maybe have Prime on hand as well as an ammonia badge.

Reel North
12/21/2015, 06:41 AM
I set my tank up with used rock I picked up from a number of hobbyists and some new Marco rock. I put all of it in a 100 gallon stock tub, and cooked it. I used lanthanum chloride to suck the PO4 out (it was up to .57) and did weekly water changes in plain RO water for 10 weeks, until the rock wasn't releasing any phosphates.

Then I cycled my tank, and presto bingo. No pests.

I got some chaeto from a coup,e of different friends for the refugium and I have a billion pods and brittle stars.

I think that you have now seen why "live rock" that's fresh from the ocean, while full of cool critters, is also full of Nightmares like you are seeing now.

He should be pretty easy to catch in a trap. If not, then if you can figure out which rock he is in, then grab the rock with a pair of tongs and hold it over a bucket. Dribble soda water on it and he will come right out.

When I had mine, it came from "fresh live rock" as well.

Bent
12/21/2015, 07:34 AM
Dude take some pics.

I have a strange fascination with these things. It's borderline unhealthy.

Dkuhlmann
12/21/2015, 07:57 AM
Ya, Bent will buy it from you for BIG $$$$$$ :D :lmao:

Bent
12/21/2015, 08:59 AM
Ya, Bent will buy it from you for BIG $$$$$$ :D :lmao:

I would if I had a place for it.

Dkuhlmann
12/21/2015, 09:05 AM
Dude, I am willing to bet the OP would sell you the tank and everything in it for the right $$$$ :D

rt67ghy
12/21/2015, 09:53 AM
Here's a link for a trap.

http://www.reefersquest.com/showthread.php?381-How-to-build-yourself-a-trap-for-the-infamous-oenone-fulgida

dismayed
12/21/2015, 10:00 AM
Dude, I am willing to bet the OP would sell you the tank and everything in it for the right $$$$ :D

Not far from the truth at the moment lol.

dismayed
12/21/2015, 10:01 AM
I set my tank up with used rock I picked up from a number of hobbyists and some new Marco rock. I put all of it in a 100 gallon stock tub, and cooked it. I used lanthanum chloride to suck the PO4 out (it was up to .57) and did weekly water changes in plain RO water for 10 weeks, until the rock wasn't releasing any phosphates.

Then I cycled my tank, and presto bingo. No pests.

I got some chaeto from a coup,e of different friends for the refugium and I have a billion pods and brittle stars.

I think that you have now seen why "live rock" that's fresh from the ocean, while full of cool critters, is also full of Nightmares like you are seeing now.

He should be pretty easy to catch in a trap. If not, then if you can figure out which rock he is in, then grab the rock with a pair of tongs and hold it over a bucket. Dribble soda water on it and he will come right out.

When I had mine, it came from "fresh live rock" as well.

What do you think of the Marco rock? I've been thinking a lot about options like that since this happened.

Reel North
12/21/2015, 10:16 AM
I like it. I found that it does carry a lot of phosphates, so make sure to cook it to clear the PO4 out. Other than that, it's amazing.

dismayed
12/21/2015, 05:30 PM
I like it. I found that it does carry a lot of phosphates, so make sure to cook it to clear the PO4 out. Other than that, it's amazing.

Hmm, when you say cook it, what do you mean exactly?

rockstarta78
12/21/2015, 08:33 PM
I'd put Marco in Muriatic acid (home depot has em at the paint section) for 3 - 4 weeks to cook it so it doesn't leach phosphate. I believe is 1:10 acid to water. But I'd Google it. There are good guide on how to cook rock with acid. But please be very careful. It's acid even though diluted.

rockstarta78
12/21/2015, 08:36 PM
This is the exact reason I didn't use live rock. Also for future addition look up Bayer pesticide dip. Here's a good link.

http://www.cherrycorals.com/news/coraldips/

rockstarta78
12/21/2015, 08:37 PM
BTW Bayer is only for coral. Not any fishes. So please do your research before doing the dip.

Member No. 1
12/21/2015, 08:48 PM
Hmm, when you say cook it, what do you mean exactly?
Just so you're clear, as it's happened before, "cooking" the rock means to treat it either with chemicals as explained, or let it dry out in the sun then rinse the heck out of it, or put in a barrel with no light just a power head and heater for a few months to purge it of all life forms and help remove any trace phosphates. There are several methods.
But NEVER "cook" it as cooking it with heat in a stove. Oh it's been done. It will give off toxic fumes.

Reel North
12/21/2015, 09:06 PM
Yes. I mean black it out and I used lanthanum chloride. I don't like acid. I have no algae issues and no pests. Just google cooking rock.

dismayed
12/22/2015, 08:25 AM
Is this necessary even if I were to buy dry rock from Marco Rocks?

Member No. 1
12/22/2015, 03:47 PM
Is this necessary even if I were to buy dry rock from Marco Rocks?

Yes, not for the unwanted hitch hikers, because being dry there are none, but for the extremely high levels of phosphate they leach. Search here on RC for Marco Rock. Tons of threads. But it is sweet rock, that's all I used.

Reel North
12/22/2015, 06:15 PM
I totally recommend cooking it. You will start phosphate and pest free. Otherwise, there is potential for leaching of po4. Not fun.

rockstarta78
12/22/2015, 07:52 PM
I know it's not the best looking, but I like the reef saver rock from BRS. People say you don't need to cook that rock but I still have it acid bath.

zachfishman
12/23/2015, 10:12 AM
Do you have any children?:fish1::fish1:

dweber618
12/29/2015, 11:22 AM
Did you ever catch the worm?

Dkuhlmann
12/29/2015, 11:42 AM
It ate him :hammer:

mintychicken
12/29/2015, 01:55 PM
I had a eunice worm in my little 3 gallon about 5 years ago. It was beautiful! Looked like a peppermint stick, but I still had to take a hammer and chisel to the largest rock to get it out. Tank was only 10 inches wide, but the worm was 15 inches long!

At first I tried to glue all his pathways shut he had made in the rock, kill him that way, but then he just appeared a few days later. They have 5 or so sets of jaws that can eat right through limestone. They are also lightning fast and only come out well after dark, so catching them by hand is nigh impossible. The only thing that worm didn't eat was my strawberry crab. Sexy shrimp, hermit crabs, clown goby, coral frags, it destroyed them all and rearranged the entire tank every few days.

Also, they're the kind of worm that just grows a new head/tail if you accidentally cut them into pieces.

I've always use dry rock since then and just take the extra time to colonize it. Never again!