PDA

View Full Version : Need 4-5 more fish suggestions

Jmunk
12/20/2015, 01:27 AM
So I'm looking for 4-5 more fish for my 90G mixed reef.

I'm looking for fish with a a lot of color, red/yellows/pink/purple (have two chromis so I'm kinda alright on blue).

I'd like one bigger "show fish" and then the rest to be somewhat small.

Anyone have any suggestions?

CStrickland
12/20/2015, 08:42 AM
What have you got now?

shifty51008
12/20/2015, 08:46 AM
Anthsis, wrasse, cardilanls

HefeWeizen
12/20/2015, 10:11 AM
Pseudochromis

Tomato clown

Hawkish if you have no shrimp or crabs

3dees
12/20/2015, 11:46 AM
one spot foxface. safe with coral, peaceful with other fish, and will help control some forms of algae.

PeterHall
12/20/2015, 11:50 AM
Anthias trio. Cardinal pairs. Wrasse.

Sk8r
12/20/2015, 12:17 PM
Yellow watchman. No tomato clown! If you want to go toward damsels, that class offers a lot of color, and is compatible with some clowns, but they emphatically don't like chromis. (ask me: I have both). I run a damsel tank, and I can tell you dominos and tomatoes have a lot in common...boss of the tank or else, but a breeding pair would overwhelm a 90 gallon and beat up on everybody. I've also found problems with the onespot fox, getting large (max 10", usually about half that) and then doing in his tankmates.

Bent
12/20/2015, 12:26 PM
This is impossible without knowing what you already have.

shifty51008
12/20/2015, 01:07 PM
He said he has 2 chromis

CStrickland
12/20/2015, 01:12 PM
Oh I thought that was just to say no blue fish, not that he only has 2 chromis right now.
If that's the case there's a lot of options for a 90g

Breakthecycle2
12/20/2015, 01:34 PM
Fairy or flasher wrasses, hands down.

joshbrookkate
12/20/2015, 02:00 PM
Check out the Starcki Damsel on Blue Zoo Aquatics. I got one a few weeks ago and love him! He is a perfect tankmate to my 2 mated percs, a small yellow tang, a yellow watchman goby and a flame angel in my 75g .... and he's beautiful and out and about, too.

Aside...have you had one of these damsels, Sk8r?

GQuinn
12/20/2015, 02:13 PM
I just added (5) Lubbock Fairy Wrasses to my tank. Great fish, lots of variegated color.

Sk8r
12/20/2015, 03:23 PM
I don't think I've ever seen one. I'd like to. Golden Domino's gorgeous, but as bad as a Maroon Clown about going 'tank boss' (in the gaming sense). Tracey's Damselfish looks rather pretty, too, purple shading to yellow. And the royal gramma, blackcap basslet, and chalk bass are all very colorful and pretty.

shifty51008
12/20/2015, 03:34 PM
Oh I thought that was just to say no blue fish, not that he only has 2 chromis right now.
If that's the case there's a lot of options for a 90g

You could be right and i missunderstood,

Jmunk
12/20/2015, 08:21 PM
Op, sorry guys.

Currently have:

2 clowns
2 chromis
1 six line wrasse
1 scissortail goby

Breakthecycle2
12/20/2015, 08:29 PM
I just added (5) Lubbock Fairy Wrasses to my tank. Great fish, lots of variegated color.

Oh man. I would be careful. They get especially nasty with each other after awhile.

Jmunk
12/20/2015, 08:35 PM
Oh man. I would be careful. They get especially nasty with each other after awhile.
Loving the way they look too. Could they mesh well with my six line? Maybe just one?

My six line is the sweetest.

toothybugs
12/20/2015, 09:41 PM
I would have concerns the 6-line will want to be boss to new additions.

But for a red show fish, a peppermint angel would fit the bill ;)

Buzz1329
12/20/2015, 09:55 PM
Love the 6 line wrasse. Despite bully boy reputation has always behaved in my tanks.

Mike

Jade5051
12/20/2015, 11:23 PM
What is your budget?

Jmunk
12/21/2015, 12:10 AM
Anthsis, wrasse, cardilanls
I feed 1 and a half cubes three times throughout the day.

Would this be sufficient to keep up with anthias frequent feeding?

PeterHall
12/21/2015, 12:14 AM

I feed frozen twice a day and my anthias are fat. Pellet feeder puts in a few pellets during the afternoon.

shifty51008
12/21/2015, 01:32 AM

That will work just fine. I feed mine 4 times with an auto feeder and once with frozen a day.

Tbh that seems like alot of food your feeding for the fish you have but if your nitrates and phosphates stay low your good to go.

Jmunk
12/21/2015, 01:33 AM
That will work just fine. I feed mine 4 times with an auto feeder and once with frozen a day.

Tbh that seems like alot of food your feeding for the fish you have but if your nitrates and phosphates stay low your good to go.
I think I worded it incorrectly.

I don't mean 1 & 1/2 cubes three times a day, I mean I feed a TOTAL of 1 & 1/2 cubes split three times.

Unless you understood what I meant and still consider it high.

shifty51008
12/21/2015, 01:43 AM
I think I worded it incorrectly.

I don't mean 1 & 1/2 cubes three times a day, I mean I feed a TOTAL of 1 & 1/2 cubes split three times.

Unless you understood what I meant and still consider it high.

Lol nope i thought you ment 1 &1/2 cubes 3 times a day, not total. Your fine then.

Jmunk
12/21/2015, 01:46 AM
Lol nope i thought you ment 1 &1/2 cubes 3 times a day, not total. Your fine then.
Haha, sorry.

How many anthias do you have? If I get a school of 3-4, I would need to up my amount of food a bit, right?

GQuinn
12/21/2015, 09:24 AM

I didn't have a problem the last time I did this about 5 years ago. I kept these fish together for 2 1/2 years before getting rid of that set-up. See the comments about Lubbock Fairy wrasses about 2/3 down in this article. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/hcs3/

bchap05
12/21/2015, 11:55 AM
I like the Foxface One spot, great color and the one spot stays a bit smaller. They are always in the open begging, but for some reason I've had trouble keeping them alive. They always eat a ton, but then then get really thin and start getting stuck to my pumps. Don't think they are necessarily that hard to keep for some reason I've just had trouble.

I'm also in for suggestions. My rocks are all purplish, and my fish are all purplish as well. Didn't realize it at first but I need every fish to be bright from here out.

Jmunk
12/21/2015, 01:53 PM
I think my lineup is going to be:

3 anthias
1 purple firefish
1 jawfish

For those fish, what should I up my feeding to? Should I double it since I'm doubling the fish amount and feed three cubes a day?

Shivsreef
12/21/2015, 02:37 PM
That order seems good but maybe get another firefish as for some odd reason in my tanks they love being in pairs and they are pretty easy to sex once you get the hang of it

anbosu
12/21/2015, 03:30 PM
I think my lineup is going to be:

3 anthias
1 purple firefish
1 jawfish

For those fish, what should I up my feeding to? Should I double it since I'm doubling the fish amount and feed three cubes a day?

With the anthias, depending on the species, you will want to feed 2-3x per day minimum.

CStrickland
12/21/2015, 04:16 PM
do you have enough of the right type of sand for a jawfish?
and a lid, obvi.

my only quibble would be that a lot of your fish are really swimmy. Well, the clowns and firefish don't cover a lot of ground, and the jawfish. But still, a lot of action in the mid water. You also haven't really got the showfish that you started out wanting.
maybe look at a kole or tomini tang, and some of the perching/rock-type blennies?
+1 to who ever rec'd the chalk bass. It's a really great fish, and has a cool spikey shape without the foxface's poison.

the body shape of a tang will give that different shape that can add variety too.
Just something I've noticed lately, a lot of people attend to having diff color fish, but once you start paying attention to the diff body shapes its a whole nother level of diversity. Like one of those things you didn't know you were noticing, but when a tank gets it right it looks really profesh.
I'm really tempted by the engineer goby for that reason but I have to learn a lot more about them. Hey, that could be a neat sub for the jawfish you like?
just thinking out loud

eKop49
12/21/2015, 04:30 PM
My favorite fish is my pictus blenny he has so much personality! That being said they are kind of uncommon but LA/DD has had a bunch of them recently.

Dkuhlmann
12/21/2015, 05:48 PM
Take a look at the Midas Blenny, this is probably my favorite fish now that I have one.

Jmunk
12/21/2015, 09:06 PM
With the anthias, depending on the species, you will want to feed 2-3x per day minimum.
I'll be feeding three times a day. But for the amount, is 3 cubes a day good, too much/little?

Jmunk
12/22/2015, 12:14 AM
Only thing I'm thinking with anthias is the problem a thread that was just recently posted explained. I've had anthias before and all three just kind of started to hide behind rocks and eventually died after months and months of doing fine before.

Don't know if I should test my luck with them again.

Jmunk
12/23/2015, 02:33 AM
Updated stocking list:

2 clowns
2 chromis
1 six line wrasse
1 scissortail goby
1 purple firefish
1 mandarin (if I can, gotta do a bit more research)
1 jawfish
3 anthias

Does that sound reasonable?

Jade5051
12/23/2015, 04:00 AM
This 90g reef is missing one fish that will pull it all together.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-77938-white-tail-bristletooth-tang.jpg

You won't regret a tang. Easily one of the most wonderful fish to watch. Tons of personality and so active I get tired just watching them.

White Tailed tang above is my favorite and a gem in any tank. If you want a main attraction fish that few others have then this would be a great addition.

Yellow tang
Kole tang

90g might be pushing the limits for a Chevron or Scopas or Purple.

Here is a link of tangs and the recommended tank sizes.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

Dkuhlmann
12/23/2015, 04:13 AM
I'd ditch the 6 line as they're hit or miss as to becoming very aggressive. If you do get one make sure you add it last, and be certain you really want it because once in your tank there is no getting it out without major issues.

Jade5051
12/23/2015, 04:16 AM
I don't see a blenny or dwarf angel on your list either.

Starry blenny (personal favorite)
Pygmy Cherub
Bicolor Angel
Flameback/Fireball Angel
Nox Angel
Lemonpeel Angel
So many angels to choose from...

Jade5051
12/23/2015, 04:31 AM
Updated stocking list:

2 clowns
2 chromis
1 six line wrasse
1 scissortail goby
1 purple firefish
1 mandarin (if I can, gotta do a bit more research)
1 jawfish
3 anthias

Does that sound reasonable?

Drop a scissortail or firefish and get a mated pair of one or the other they do best that way and look cool.

If I were doing anthias I'd shoot for 4-5 of them this will sort of "spread the beating". The male can get pretty aggressive and you'll want enough females to share the load when he wants to beat his *****es. Most will recommend 3 as a minimum but more is usually better to do 4 or more. Large harems of these are fun to watch.

Also, Chromis have a reputation for there can only be one or this tank isn't big enough for the two of us. From what I understand at some point the Chromis will fight and only one will live. Sometimes this happens in QT sometimes it's in the DT it can happen immediately or even take years for the duel to break out.

Jmunk
12/23/2015, 01:44 PM
To be clear, I already have the following fish:

2 clowns
2 chromis
1 six line wrasse
1 scissortail
1 purple firefish

The next fish I'm thinking about getting are:

jawfish
anthias school (not sure how many)

Won't go with a mandarin as I wouldn't be able to keep him.

Jmunk
12/23/2015, 10:22 PM
Update:

No scissortail anymore. He died from something strange, never really looked good from the start and should have seen that coming when I looked at him in the LFS. Sad to see him go :/

Anyway, still trying to figure out if I want to go with anthias/how many/if I should get a tang

Jade5051
12/23/2015, 11:52 PM
What are your thoughts on a tang?

Jmunk
12/24/2015, 03:42 AM
one spot foxface. safe with coral, peaceful with other fish, and will help control some forms of algae.http://s.coop/1xpfmhttp://s.coop/1xo07
http://s.coop/1wz2k
Yep, really want a magnificent one. Not sure if I'll settle for a regular one though

HefeWeizen
12/24/2015, 09:25 AM
To be clear, I already have the following fish:

2 clowns
2 chromis
1 six line wrasse
1 scissortail
1 purple firefish

The next fish I'm thinking about getting are:

jawfish
anthias school (not sure how many)

Won't go with a mandarin as I wouldn't be able to keep him.

One clown would be best. I regret having a pair. They chase my chromis relentlessly and lay eggs all the time. They are far more aggressive when they have a clutch.

Jmunk
12/24/2015, 01:20 PM
One clown would be best. I regret having a pair. They chase my chromis relentlessly and lay eggs all the time. They are far more aggressive when they have a clutch.
As I said, the first section of fish I ALREADY have. My clowns and chromis get along just fine, no problems here.

Buffcole
12/26/2015, 11:53 PM
Yellow clown adds great color, but they are a dominant fish, add last.

Jmunk
12/26/2015, 11:57 PM
Yellow clown adds great color, but they are a dominant fish, add last.
I already have two clownfish, unless you mean the goby?

Buffcole
12/27/2015, 01:01 AM
Sorry, I meant tang. Up too late. :)

Jmunk
12/27/2015, 01:16 AM
Sorry, I meant tang. Up too late. :)
A clown tang?!?! They need 250+ gallons lol

CStrickland
12/27/2015, 01:44 AM
I think she meant a yellow tang, lots of people keep them in 90's.
Jeez

Jmunk
12/27/2015, 01:46 AM
She meant a yellow tang.
Oh! Yeah, I'm not sure if I really want one. Not too sure it fits well with the colors in my tank.

CStrickland
12/27/2015, 02:04 AM
Yeah.
That seems like the running theme of this thread, if you want the big show fish you gotta make a decision about the tangs. Kole or yellow (or white tail if ur independently wealthy lol). Its the easiest way to get that bling fish. They're easy, they swim around, it's all good. Or the foxface. Or a lot of little anthias. It's just what you like looking at.

Jmunk
12/27/2015, 03:07 AM
Yeah.
That seems like the running theme of this thread, if you want the big show fish you gotta make a decision about the tangs. Kole or yellow (or white tail if ur independently wealthy lol). Its the easiest way to get that bling fish. They're easy, they swim around, it's all good. Or the foxface. Or a lot of little anthias. It's just what you like looking at.
Yep. I'd either wanna go with a foxface, or the 3-4 school of anthias. Leading more towards the latter. Just hope I can have them survive.

Jade5051
12/27/2015, 07:33 AM
The LFS had 4 squarebacks in a 300g show tank. Probably one of the most beautiful sets of fish I've ever seen. They were full grown and the male dominated the tank. He even pushed the purple tang around.

Buffcole
12/27/2015, 11:48 AM
Yes, I meant yellow tang. She is my fav fish. Very colorful but dominant. I have a Portal with a scrubber on it and she keeps looking through the porthole at me, so do all my other fish. They have a great personality, a little shy with people though unless they know you. She was my first fish. I do have 3 other tangs as well, bc its just what I like.