PDA

View Full Version : Scissortail Goby

Jmunk
12/20/2015, 03:22 PM
Hey guys,

Just recently bought a scissortail goby, and he seems to be acting a little funny. He's staying near the very top of the water, and not moving around much. Could I just have to give him a few days and he'll start moving around, or is this something they normally do?

Dkuhlmann
12/20/2015, 04:14 PM
Any fish first introduced into a new tank does all kinds of weird things. Unless it's floating upside down or is stuck to a powerhead it's probably normal.

e048
12/20/2015, 07:45 PM
Watch him they jump

Jmunk
12/20/2015, 08:09 PM
Any fish first introduced into a new tank does all kinds of weird things. Unless it's floating upside down or is stuck to a powerhead it's probably normal.
I know that, just thought it was strange since I read that they like to burrow, and mine is doing the opposite of that.

Maritimer
12/20/2015, 10:53 PM
It sounds like he's acting pretty normal, if it's the fish I'm thinking of - the scissortail dartfish?

Those guys will dive into the rockwork, or even the sand, but when they're not feeling intimidated, they'll hang near the surface, snatching passing plankton. At a LFS near here, they've got a cousin of his, zebra dartfish, in a display tank that's over five feet between the surface and the sand - the dartfish were hanging out in a group just a few inches below the surface. (also saw another cousin of his, the "blue gudgeon", for the first time today. Kind of had me drooling a little with that full-body electric glow . . . )

~B.

Jmunk
12/21/2015, 01:13 AM
It sounds like he's acting pretty normal, if it's the fish I'm thinking of - the scissortail dartfish?

Those guys will dive into the rockwork, or even the sand, but when they're not feeling intimidated, they'll hang near the surface, snatching passing plankton. At a LFS near here, they've got a cousin of his, zebra dartfish, in a display tank that's over five feet between the surface and the sand - the dartfish were hanging out in a group just a few inches below the surface. (also saw another cousin of his, the "blue gudgeon", for the first time today. Kind of had me drooling a little with that full-body electric glow . . . )

~B.
Oh really? Ok see I didn't know that was normal behavior for them. I thought they almost exclusively hung out near the bottom.

3dees
12/21/2015, 11:45 AM
I have a scissor tail and a zebra barred and they both stay near the top of the water column when they are out. they both stay in the same bolt hole a lot of the time. do you have any holes under the rocks? that's where they prefer their holes to be.

e048
12/21/2015, 01:07 PM
They love to carpet surf