PDA

View Full Version : Goldentail Moray 2 month in QT.. still hasn't eaten

m0nkie
12/20/2015, 04:26 PM
Hey guys. For my first eel, I have a 1ft long Goldentail Moray. It's currently in my 20gal QT. I want to get it eating before putting it in my 100gal. However, it's been 2 month since I've picked him up. The store owner said he had it for a week only and it hadn't eaten there.

I've tried silverside, wild caught shrimps, large krills, clams, squid, octopus. I cut the food to the size of it's head. Put it on the clear feed stick and wave it in front of its head. Sometimes I lightly tap its nose.

At first he would always open mouth acting scared and hide.. now it would just look at me.. not hide as much. He would look at the food for a second and then hide. I would lightly tap it's nose, but it gets scared more.

Any tips? tricks? Any live food I can use? I have a few hermits inside the tank, eel is not showing any interest.

(the long pvc in the back goes inside the tank.. i took it out during wc for cleaning)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/krzyaznm0nkie/Mobile%20Uploads/20151220_141334_zps15207mpn.jpg

LukFox
12/20/2015, 06:14 PM
I think the openness of the QT tank and two pieces of disconnected PVC are not doing the eel any favors. I'd be adding a lot more cover for the eel, longer and thinner pieces to conceal the eel's entire body and be more snug of a fit. For food, try smaller pieces if you are trying to feed him pieces as big as his head.

Okay and don't laugh, but here is a diagram I've made as to how to get a moray interested in some cases. Just hint the food in front of the cave opening, mostly out of sight, so the eel has to come out and see it. Sometimes they reach around and just eat it that way.

http://i.imgur.com/CNXUQag.jpg

If all that doesn't work, could also try live feeders like ghost shrimp. I hesitate to recommend damsels what with that restarting the QT process, and also miliaris aren't huge on eating live fish as it is (although they may).

m0nkie
12/20/2015, 07:45 PM
thank you Alexa and great diagram!

I fixed a few more PVC and the eel went right in. do you think it's enough? I have tons of live rocks. I can pile those inside the tank if needed.

I'll cut the food smaller and try wiggling it around. the eel usually keeps its head outside the cave so it's hard to sneak the food around

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/krzyaznm0nkie/20151220_173957_zpseblzi2cc.jpg

LukFox
12/20/2015, 09:15 PM
If you connect some of those pieces together it might work better. Also try putting in some of a smaller diameter. :) But that is better than before!

Jade5051
12/22/2015, 03:26 PM
How's this dude doing?

m0nkie
12/22/2015, 03:49 PM
Nothing much changed. Hes happy in the new pvcs.. when i peak at the tank, i can see him out roaming around..

But no luck eating yet.. i plan to put in some more pvcs, rocks and wait a week before feeding again

Jade5051
12/22/2015, 06:13 PM
I would try live food. Anything to get him to eat. I had an eel that wouldn't eat for two weeks. Started feeding him goldfish on an alligator clip. He liked to eat things that were moving/shaking. Eventually he ate raw shrimp meat and basically anything I put on the clip cause the clip meant food. 2 months without food is too long. I'd try anything.

Also, black/blue out the sides of the tank. Paint them or use construction paper etc this will give him the illusion of seclusion.

Megistos
12/22/2015, 06:21 PM
2 months isn't that big a deal for a moray. That aside, you could try live crawfish too, eels love them.

bryhan67
12/22/2015, 06:58 PM
Watch your fingers. I got bit dumping in goldfish. Some dont see to good.

JamesHolt
12/22/2015, 09:08 PM
If you have room you could try some of these

http://www.livebrineshrimp.com/ShrimpJanitor.htm

snorvich
12/23/2015, 05:36 AM
Best food I have found to break a hunger strike is squid (using a feeding tool)

Dundermifflin
12/23/2015, 10:48 PM
There's too much light coming in. I would either paint the back and sides black using a flat exterior water base paint (home depot) or you can tape black plastic garbage bags around the panels instead of painting. I would also get rid of the rock and those smaller pieces of PVC and add one more long one (longer than his body). Once you do that wait a couple days before you try feeding him and when you do try the squid or krill. let it sit in the tank overnight and see if it's gone. If it's gone you know he's eating it. If it's still there remove it and then try fresh raw shrimp from the market. Get a couple pieces, but cut them real small and drop one in and let it sit to see if he goes for it. The problem with feeding them this is the oil in the shrimp clouds the water and it becomes a pain to deal with in the DT.

m0nkie
12/24/2015, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys. Ill cover all 3 sides. The rock is to keep tank cycled. Im thinking of adding a lot more with thin pvc inside.

Ill try leaving food overnight