PDA

View Full Version : nepthea ID

patricksb
12/20/2015, 04:47 PM
Hey new to reef central but I figured if I wanted to get to the bottom of this here would be the best place to get info and input.

I have a coral I bought years ago they sold it to me as a finger leather I fragged it and went to sell a few pieces and they said it was a nuclear green nepthia so I have been under the assumption that that is what I have. Could anyone please give me their input on what they think these corals actually are?

Thank you in advance.

P.s. this is an older photo they are larger. Photo taken on a note 4 and lighting is pure white lighting.

Dkuhlmann
12/20/2015, 06:41 PM
No pictures?

patricksb
12/21/2015, 12:11 PM

patricksb
12/21/2015, 12:12 PM
like i said this is under pure white light the drivers for my actinic lighting burned out looking at getting a better lighting setup

Dkuhlmann
12/21/2015, 07:01 PM
Honestly that looks like a Kenya Tree, or a Sinularia. Then again most of the "tree" type leathers have similar appearance. I'd like to see this when you get your lighting straightened out.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=336952&d=1450721462

patricksb
12/21/2015, 11:40 PM
once i get the lighting fixed i will repost a picture of it i know it is not a kenya tree i have those nuisances in my tank still but a singularia is a possibility and one i have considered as well.

i will try to post one with actinics. when i have sold some of the frags they were incredibly green and the stores gave a decent amount of credit for them but i also like to grow them out to a larger size before i sell them and make sure they attach to a rock or plug so that could be it also

3dees
12/22/2015, 10:17 AM
look like singularia to me. like the one under my foxface.

patricksb
12/25/2015, 02:03 AM
Here is the coral in actinic lighting

Dkuhlmann
12/25/2015, 04:52 AM
I have seen pictures of them on Google Images that show bright green colors, is yours different from those? I also saw a pink one that has pretty much been kept in Japan and recently is in the US. can't wait to get one of the pink ones they're amazing!

cloak
12/26/2015, 01:33 PM
It just looks like your run of the mill Sinularia to me as well. Pretty much all of the LFS around here have these for sale.

Fish Junction
01/16/2016, 07:28 PM
Looks like Nepthea to me. Nepthea are rough to the touch, Sinularia are slick or slimy and are difficult to get frags attached and Nepthea attach fairly easily. Nepthea can also not fully retract their polyps, Sinularia can.

doradosteve
01/17/2016, 02:04 AM
Looks like a poorly colored sinularia

Patwa
01/21/2016, 11:57 AM
+1 sinularia aka. "spaghetti leather"

The "nuclear green nepthea" your friends are talking about may in fact be the "Neon Green Tree Coral" or the 'Palau Green Tree Coral". It's widely referenced as a "nepthea" species, but it is in fact sinularia. The whole story about why it is referred to as 'Palau' nepthea is long-winded....and was corroborated by Eric Borneman, from what I gathered recently....before his epic fall from grace of course.

Fish Junction has the proper ID down for a true nepthea....however, the OP has a sinularia.

jdantunes
02/15/2016, 09:41 AM
I have seen pictures of them on Google Images that show bright green colors, is yours different from those? I also saw a pink one that has pretty much been kept in Japan and recently is in the US. can't wait to get one of the pink ones they're amazing!

I have both. One is bright neon green and I got another one that has light green stalks and pink polyps. I'll take pics and post them.