PDA

View Full Version : Maxima Clam flow direction

zsxking
12/21/2015, 03:45 AM
So I have my clam for about a month. It's doing good I think, open normally and response to shadow. But what concerns me is that it has not yet attached on the rock. It keep moving little bit every day and falling to its side every couple days. I have been putting it towards the flow, so the flow will go from its inccurent siphon (the open hole one) to its outcurrent siphon (the tube like one). I though it should be that way as water generally flow through it. Until several days ago, I decided to turn it 180. To my surprise, it didn't move a bit ever since then. So it looks like the clam prefer to pump water through its gill in opposite direction of the surrounding flow.

Is it generally the case? What flow direction does your clam prefer?

MondoBongo
12/21/2015, 12:00 PM
i can't say i've noticed a preference for direction of flow. the only time it is an issue is when the clam is receiving too much flow, and is irritating it or causing the mantle to fold over.

what i have noticed though is that they will spin themselves to line up with my LEDs. always on the look out for more light.

C.Eymann
12/21/2015, 12:11 PM
Tridacnids have no preference to direction of flow, they like low flow environments, They do not use exterior water currents to draw in water. They use their gills to draw water in and out of the siphons.

zsxking
12/21/2015, 12:37 PM
So instead preferred flow direction, the clam hate certain flow direction, which directly blow into it mouth? The flow is not strong enough to move its mantle, but in that particular direction it did fall over a lot more. It should not because of light becuase its directly under the center of it.