PDA

View Full Version : Extra security for larger aquariums

Saltlife757
12/21/2015, 04:10 PM
Does anyone know if reefers seal the bottom of larger aquariums with anything I top of the silicone???

The reason I ask is because I am getting a new marineland 150-180 gallon long aquarium in the next couple weeks. I had a brand new 150 gallon deep demension tank spring a bad leak over night a couple weeks ago. Long story short, I lost all of my live stock, and now marine land is honoring their warranty and sending me a new tank, stand, and compensating for my livestock and any damages that were done to my house.

I love the hobby but I am nervous about setting up another aquarium. Can I put anything extra over the edges where there is silicon? Or are there any other ideas or recommendations to prevent leaks?

reef_aholic
12/21/2015, 04:57 PM
Unless the stand had something to do with it, only thing that I can suggest is that it may have been defective. How old was that tank that started leaking? Sorry for the loss.

Saltlife757
12/21/2015, 05:13 PM
Unless the stand had something to do with it, only thing that I can suggest is that it may have been defective. How old was that tank that started leaking? Sorry for the loss.

The tanks sticker said it was built February 2015. I got the tank brand new back in June/July. Maybe I was just extremely unlucky? I'm just a bit nervous setting a new one up.

Saltlife757
12/21/2015, 05:14 PM
The tanks sticker said it was built February 2015. I got the tank brand new back in June/July. Maybe I was just extremely unlucky? I'm just a bit nervous setting a new one up.

Also, then stand was built for the tank. It was all from marineland

davocean
12/21/2015, 05:16 PM
Adding silicone to existing silicone does very little if anything at all,I would not do anything.
If you are really concerned there are controllers that send a leak detection warning that can alert your phone as well as an alarm at tank.

davocean
12/21/2015, 05:19 PM
Also, then stand was built for the tank. It was all from marineland

Obviously they recognized it as a failure on their end, consider it just bad luck.
I'm actually impressed and surprised they covered livestock as well.

reef_aholic
12/21/2015, 05:39 PM
What type of floor was it put on? And was there any visible gaps between tank and stand? Im sure you have already answered these to marine land.[emoji12]

Dkuhlmann
12/21/2015, 05:42 PM
Do not modify the new tank in any way at all. If you do and you end up with a leak again, heaven forbid, they will not honor the warranty. I'd say that they are taking good care of you and I commend them for that. There might have been a bad run on tanks during the month yours was made. Who knows

Saltlife757
12/21/2015, 06:49 PM
What type of floor was it put on? And was there any visible gaps between tank and stand? Im sure you have already answered these to marine land.[emoji12]

It was just a normal hard wood floor with a sealant on it. I couldn't even tell there was a leak in the silicon until I poured a little
Bit of water back in the tank. It wasn't visible to the naked eye. And there was no gap between the stand and tank. The stand was built specifically for the tank.

Saltlife757
12/21/2015, 07:00 PM
Do not modify the new tank in any way at all. If you do and you end up with a leak again, heaven forbid, they will not honor the warranty. I'd say that they are taking good care of you and I commend them for that. There might have been a bad run on tanks during the month yours was made. Who knows

Yeah, I'm definitely not modifying the new tank in any way. I just wanted to know if there was something people do for an added layer of pertection. I'm getting the water sensors to place around the tank. I just didn't know if I could do more.

reef_aholic
12/21/2015, 07:56 PM
Ya, from what it sounds like it was good on your end, good even floor, factory stand. Glad they are taking care of it all tho.

chilli_reef
12/22/2015, 06:00 AM
An added layer of protection would come with an addition of high density Styrofoam insulation board between the tank and stand IMHO. If your floor is slightly warped, or the stand is, or the floor warps slightly when the tanks filled or stand after filling......
The Styrofoam will even out the mating surface by the weight of the tank and water in it.

shifty51008
12/22/2015, 06:07 AM
An added layer of protection would come with an addition of high density Styrofoam insulation board between the tank and stand IMHO. If your floor is slightly warped, or the stand is, or the floor warps slightly when the tanks filled or stand after filling......
The Styrofoam will even out the mating surface by the weight of the tank and water in it.

Styrofoam is not suggested on trimmed glass tanks, on acrylic and glass tanks without the plastuc trim then yes.