PDA

View Full Version : Help with Maxima Clam

MillerReef
12/22/2015, 10:37 AM
I got a purple/blue Maxima clam about a month ago. This is my first clam so I am learning everything about it for the first time, but in my opinion it has never looked healthy. Over the last month the clam has been opening less and the mantle had been extending less as well. The mantle also looks less "full" and appears to be folding more inward from the shell in places at times. Also the clam seems to open wider on the foot end than the other end and the difference between the opening of the two ends has become more disproportional. I think this clam its way out and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do. It is about 6" under the water and I'm using Kessil 160s. Any advice helps - thanks.

Sal: 1.024
Temp: 78
PH: 8.0
N03: 1.0
PO4: .01
Cal: 445
Alk: 8.7
Mag: 1400

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/22/31e8d32c2a9fb5ef04aa9bd2f3d844f7.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/22/b66c1d1b649d591dbd8ff61309042d19.jpg

Reefers4U
12/22/2015, 12:09 PM
ok - your params look good. But in the face of evidence to the contrary I might have a lfs double check your params. The lighting I'm sure is fine (just looking at the pics) but I'm not too familiar with kessils. When was the last time you did a good water change?

you're right the clam doesn't look too happy.

This sounds a little against my own advice because you should never dose something you can't test for but - you might want to start dosing some molybdenum/strontium and iodine - those might be low. Do you currently dose any additives and do you have a lot of other coral/clams, how are they doing?

How is your temp swings? Have you moved it at all? Has it attached to anything?

You could try to take the clam out, place it in a container - like a large bowl - with tank water, sit it in the sun and do an iodine dip - see what it does. But I'd do this only if it gets worse.

MillerReef
12/22/2015, 12:56 PM
I do a 20% water change monthly (around the 1st) and test weekly. I actually do test for iodine, iron and potassium and supplement using Red Sea reef colors. I keep my iodine around .06. The reef colors has a trace part to it that I think probably has the other 2 additives you mentioned and I dose that (on the low end) according to the recommendation based on Ca uptake.

The clam came attached to some crushed coral pebbles but has since dropped those and never reattached - not sure why.

I had it on the bottom at 12" on a small rock hoping it would attach. At that point it was in between the two lights getting light from both. I moved it several days ago because I was concerned about the flow where it was at being too strong. Now it is higher in the tank but gets light from only one light and seems to like the lower flow. It seems like whatever I have done though, the clam has been in a slow, gradual decline. I am concerned at this point because every week it looks more unhealthy.

I have 3 acropora that are doing well, zoanthids doing well - a majority of what I have added to the tank has survived and is doing well.

Where can I learn more about iodine dips? What does it treat for and what product would you recommend?

MondoBongo
12/22/2015, 01:25 PM
yeah, i would not go dipping clams. that's a quick way to kill them.

remember, we use iodine dips on corals to kill inverts.

MillerReef
12/22/2015, 03:21 PM
I've read some about pinched mantle and have wondered if my clam was infected. But this is my first clam and never seen pinched mantle before so was trying to hold off on any treatments that could do more harm than good since I'm not sure. Most of what I've read recommends 20-30 min in RODI of same temp and ph but also says it's very hard on the clam. Anyone have any experience with pinched mantle and or freshwater dips on clams?

MillerReef
12/22/2015, 05:11 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/22/f5298c92495bc7b36ed66f44b3acf6d9.jpg

Here is another photo. See how the top right side is folding in and receding...

MillerReef
12/22/2015, 05:12 PM
*Bottom left... Picture imported upside down.

Reefers4U
12/22/2015, 08:40 PM
how long has the cleaner been hanging around the clam?

It sounds like you are on the right track with everything. And if you're not noticing any other animals showing signs this might be something specific to the clam.

I get a lot of my advice from the awesome people at Wetwebmedia, try searching there or even sending them an email - they are super helpful.

also - the dip idea is a last resort. I've brought a lot of almost dead corals back with an iodine dip - not just for pests but when corals have been fragged, buried by sand or chopped by an impeller. A dip and a little natural sunlight seems to show them life is worth living for!

In re: to an RODI dip I'd personally never do a freshwater dip on any saltwater invert but hey maybe others have and its been cool.

Good luck and happy holidays

manilaboy1vic
01/02/2016, 01:54 PM
I got a purple/blue Maxima clam about a month ago. This is my first clam so I am learning everything about it for the first time, but in my opinion it has never looked healthy. Over the last month the clam has been opening less and the mantle had been extending less as well. The mantle also looks less "full" and appears to be folding more inward from the shell in places at times. Also the clam seems to open wider on the foot end than the other end and the difference between the opening of the two ends has become more disproportional. I think this clam its way out and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do. It is about 6" under the water and I'm using Kessil 160s. Any advice helps - thanks.

Sal: 1.024
Temp: 78
PH: 8.0
N03: 1.0
PO4: .01
Cal: 445
Alk: 8.7
Mag: 1400

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/22/31e8d32c2a9fb5ef04aa9bd2f3d844f7.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/22/b66c1d1b649d591dbd8ff61309042d19.jpg

whats your 160 intensity at?

when i first got a maxima.. i had two 160s over my tank.. running at about 70% intensity.. my clam is near the top tho.. seemed to be doing fine.... since then i added a 360 so 2x160 1x360.. i run my lights at 100% for about 6+hrs a day..

manilaboy1vic
01/02/2016, 01:55 PM
oops dupe

sjfishguy
01/28/2016, 08:25 PM
Are you able to flip it over? Look for pyramid snails. My clam started doing the same thing after being healthy for 9 months. Like 100 pyramid snails on it and in it. Been scrubbing and picking them off and the clam is back healthy as ever.

csb123
02/14/2016, 05:41 PM
Doesn't look like pinched mantle.
If you dip, I believe you need to buffer the water to correct ph.