PDA

View Full Version : New calcium reactor suggestions

oshanickreef
12/22/2015, 12:42 PM
I currently have a GEO 618 and I have never been more disappointed. It consistently stops flowing effluent I have replaced every aspect of the plumbing including the maxijet.

Please is there anything that I can count on for more than 24 hours? I'm looking to spend under 400. I'm about to lose it. I'm going to get a bat and make this reactor into a million pieces when it's all over.

Thanks

C.Eymann
12/22/2015, 12:49 PM
Are you using the spears needle valve to control effluent?? You could try using a pinch valve and run the spears wide open instead as they tend to be a bit better at resisting blockages.
http://i.imgur.com/bV3Inal.jpg

What is your drip rate?

oshanickreef
12/22/2015, 04:48 PM
My drop rate stays consistent for like 2 hours. So I don't check it. I'm also not running those valves.

brett7768
12/22/2015, 05:32 PM
I've been running a 618 for years without a problem.. Whats your Ph set to?

Reel North
12/22/2015, 06:13 PM
I bought a lifereef. No leaks. No clogs ������

Greg 45
12/22/2015, 06:19 PM
If you are looking into a quality unit that will last a life time and work as designed , look at the Aquarium Engineering Sight. I purchased a calcium reactor over a year ago . His equipment is top notch and each unit is hand built in America.

slief
12/22/2015, 07:22 PM
I hate to say it but your issue isn't your reactor.. All reactors suffer the same issue if the flow through the reactor is slow enough with low enough rector pH and if your pressure from your feed pump isn't sufficient. The high calcium content will clog the effluent line on ANY reactor if the flow is controlled though the effluent line. I've owned a number of different reactors and all had that issue. I now run a Geo 818 and have 0 issues with it clogging. The key difference is that now I run a Cole Parmer Masterflex feed pump and no needle valve. The pump controls the flow down to the ml per minute and I have not touched it once in about 8 months. It's always 1000% perfectly consistent and my Apex never has to intervene to shut the Co2 off. My pH in the reactor is always spot on and never drifts more than my display pH drifts from day to night. The key is no needle valve restrictions on the effluent line coupled with consistent proper flow with adequate pressure and consistent Co2 rate. The combination of the above results in a perfectly consistent reactor with no clogging.

One thing you might try is increasing the flow through your reactor or increasing the pH inside of it. Either way, the end result should be slight increase in pH which will result in less calcium buildup in your effluent line which will result in less tendency to clog as fast. You could also try adding a gate valve to the supply line just after the pump and ditching the restriction on the effluent line. That would allow you to control the flow going into the reactor instead of restricting it on the way out where it will always clog.

smoothdog
12/22/2015, 08:38 PM
+1

Get a peristaltic pump or try controlling effluent on the pump side. I have a long effluent line and had the same issue due to air locks. Peristaltic fixed it.

AZRippster
12/22/2015, 09:51 PM
These SMC PVC Needle Valves work pretty darn good. I was having the same type of problem with my calcium reactor until I installed these to control the drip rate. I do believe that a peristaltic pump will provide more granular control, but if you don't have or want to purchase one of these, this may be a good option to consider.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=22326&webSyncID=ac2a9395-45e4-d214-58ac-0c6359592a1d&sessionGUID=d8b223d3-79ea-bb16-4b0b-b934e4c443c2

oshanickreef
12/23/2015, 12:59 AM
I hate to say it but your issue isn't your reactor.. All reactors suffer the same issue if the flow through the reactor is slow enough with low enough rector pH and if your pressure from your feed pump isn't sufficient. The high calcium content will clog the effluent line on ANY reactor if the flow is controlled though the effluent line. I've owned a number of different reactors and all had that issue. I now run a Geo 818 and have 0 issues with it clogging. The key difference is that now I run a Cole Parmer Masterflex feed pump and no needle valve. The pump controls the flow down to the ml per minute and I have not touched it once in about 8 months. It's always 1000% perfectly consistent and my Apex never has to intervene to shut the Co2 off. My pH in the reactor is always spot on and never drifts more than my display pH drifts from day to night. The key is no needle valve restrictions on the effluent line coupled with consistent proper flow with adequate pressure and consistent Co2 rate. The combination of the above results in a perfectly consistent reactor with no clogging.

One thing you might try is increasing the flow through your reactor or increasing the pH inside of it. Either way, the end result should be slight increase in pH which will result in less calcium buildup in your effluent line which will result in less tendency to clog as fast. You could also try adding a gate valve to the supply line just after the pump and ditching the restriction on the effluent line. That would allow you to control the flow going into the reactor instead of restricting it on the way out where it will always clog.

I tried using a Cole Parmer pump and always had issues with air collecting in the chamber. But that is the problem I have now.

oshanickreef
12/23/2015, 09:38 AM
Spill try to explain my issue. It's been going on the entire 10 or so months my tank has been running. It is a lot worse now than it was because it was working but slowly air/gas gets trapped in the top of the chamber of the reactor and then the flow stops eventually. Right now it is just happening a lot faster than it used to.

I'm going to change out the needle valve to what AZ rippster suggested and I'm going to replace all of the fittings that feed the reactor for my last attempt

slief
12/23/2015, 11:23 AM
When you change the fittings, be sure to use Teflon paste to insure a good seal. On the o-ring seal for the lid, boil it for a several minutes than apply some silicone grease to the seal to insure it seals well. I suspect the air accumulation has to do with the line plugging up and co2 getting trapped in the reactor. You don't need much flow. I run 27ml/min of water through my reactor and a Co2 rate of 1 bubble every 4 or so seconds to get a reactor pH level of 6.7

oshanickreef
12/24/2015, 08:48 AM
When you change the fittings, be sure to use Teflon paste to insure a good seal. On the o-ring seal for the lid, boil it for a several minutes than apply some silicone grease to the seal to insure it seals well. I suspect the air accumulation has to do with the line plugging up and co2 getting trapped in the reactor. You don't need much flow. I run 27ml/min of water through my reactor and a Co2 rate of 1 bubble every 4 or so seconds to get a reactor pH level of 6.7

I finally figured out the problem. You all were right as I t was not the reactor. The entire time I have had the reactor running... Even when I had the Cole Parmer pump running, the seal was always bad where the feed line meets the reactor. I replaced all that plumbing and bam I immediately can tell a difference.

slief
12/24/2015, 09:23 AM
I finally figured out the problem. You all were right as I t was not the reactor. The entire time I have had the reactor running... Even when I had the Cole Parmer pump running, the seal was always bad where the feed line meets the reactor. I replaced all that plumbing and bam I immediately can tell a difference.

Great to hear! Are you talking about the uniseal that goes through the body? If so, that is a common issue. I boiled mine and coated it with silcon lubricant just like the o-rings. Or are you talking about the threaded fitting that goes into the circulation loop where the feed line connects to? Mine came with Teflon tape and that was the first thing I changed out. I wanted John Guest style fittings anyway but I don't like Teflon tape to begin with and use the paste on almost all of my threaded seals. Especially larger ones.

ostrow
04/26/2016, 07:52 AM
My Geo has a barbed fitting where the feed enters the reactor. Scott and OP -- I can't at all follow what you are talking about!!!

Scott can you post a photo of the feed line into your reactor so I can see what you changed and what you have now?

slief
04/26/2016, 09:10 AM
My Geo has a barbed fitting where the feed enters the reactor. Scott and OP -- I can't at all follow what you are talking about!!!

Scott can you post a photo of the feed line into your reactor so I can see what you changed and what you have now?

I will post some pictures when I get home this afternoon.

ostrow
04/26/2016, 09:18 AM
I will post some pictures when I get home this afternoon.

Thanks, Scott!

I have been using a different peristaltic (24/7, testing for eventual entry to the hobby) and it works fine for a few months, but for some reason there are then clogs (I think) that cause backflow into the pump, which causes failure of the tubing in the pump head, or of the head itself.

The effluent line is good, its the pump feed into the reactor that gets messed up. But the water entering the pump is clear. So, I was toying with adding a check valve into the feed area and read your description and am now confused.

This is very frustrating. George recommended a Sicce feed and a needle valve on the effluent but I already know from past experience with an MH that this doesn't work.

I do run extra coarse media and dolomite, which requires a chamber ph of 6.3-6.4. I have a flow of about 60ml/min. Parameters remain steady at 420 and 3.2 meq/l so I don't want to increase pH and flow as that would change degrade these tank parameters. I realize the low pH may be a culprit though. Still, the thing should be steady.

ostrow
04/28/2016, 07:49 AM
Scott: don't forget about us!