PDA

View Full Version : Culls as food?

ichthyogeek
12/23/2015, 01:32 AM
Here's a thought, since people oftentimes breed too many fish, why don't they sell them as feeders or frozen food replacements? Silverside minnows (the popular go to frozen fish for predators) really don't occur in the same environments as most of our fish (they're actually quite pelagic). However, damsels, clownfish, and cardinalfish are all more common to predatory species. So instead of culling the fish by killing and throwing them in the trash, why not sell them as feeder fish to predator keepers, or sell/freeze the excess of batches to be used as live/frozen food for picky predators like fu manchu lionfish?

shifty51008
12/23/2015, 02:25 AM
I cull mine because even if i sold them as feeders i would think people would buy them for the cheap price but keep them as fish. My culls are ones i dont feel are up to par and dont want them breeding.

The freezing part is just to much for me to do because of the area i live in there isnt much of a demand.

ThRoewer
12/23/2015, 03:51 PM
I cull mine because even if i sold them as feeders i would think people would buy them for the cheap price but keep them as fish. My culls are ones i dont feel are up to par and dont want them breeding.

The freezing part is just to much for me to do because of the area i live in there isnt much of a demand.

Yeah, I get your point. I used to give misbared clowns to stores as feeder fish, but then people found them cute and they sold them like the regulars.

If I would be breeding again and had the space, I would set up a tank with predators (groupers, lionfish, large pipefish or seahorses,...) to dispose of culls.