PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe wrasse trio for 90 gallon

Martini5788
12/23/2015, 05:38 PM
I am setting up a 90 gallon reef, and I am wanting to get some wrasses. Fairy and flasher. I have never kept wrasses except a 6 line so this is new territory for me. Looking to get 3 different species, and hoping for some direction from the wrasse experts. Other tank mates will include a chromis, starry blenny, percula pair, Midas blenny. Haven't decided on the rest of the stock list yet. I know all fish have their own personalities, but I am hoping there are some tried and true combinations that would work well in a 90 gallon. Thanks for any input!

CoralsAddiction
12/23/2015, 07:22 PM
It's a large pool to choose from. You can do one fairy, one flasher and one leopard wrasse for diversity. I'd probably go with Hawaiian flame fairy, 8line flasher and African leopard.

Martini5788
12/23/2015, 07:36 PM
It's a large pool to choose from. You can do one fairy, one flasher and one leopard wrasse for diversity. I'd probably go with Hawaiian flame fairy, 8line flasher and African leopard.

Yes it is, if I could narrow it down I would but I'm starting from scratch here. I would prefer easy to care for and generally non aggressive. I was hoping to possibly have some shrimp in the tank as well. I guess I'm looking for nice starter wrasses, don't want to invest a large amount of money until I figure out if it's something I enjoy or not. All the ones I have seen at local stores are unhappy and hiding, and I am assuming that is not their behavior in the home aquarium otherwise they wouldn't be so popular

Dkuhlmann
12/23/2015, 08:05 PM
McCosker's wrasse, I've got one and it's a great fish and very peaceful. Flashes all the time at the other fish. I would like to have 3 different male flasher wrasses in the tank together. There are a few members here who have quite a few tanks like this and it's really cool to watch them flashing at each other.

That 8 line flasher is an awesome looking fish.

CoralsAddiction
12/23/2015, 09:16 PM
Ok then I recommend going with Exquisite Fairy, Yellow Coris and one of the following: McCoskers/Carpetnters
All of them are commonly available and under $50.

Martini5788
12/23/2015, 09:26 PM
Ok then I recommend going with Exquisite Fairy, Yellow Coris and one of the following: McCoskers/Carpetnters
All of them are commonly available and under $50.

I have read conflicting results about yellow coris and shrimp, also are they copepod eaters?

BigBlueTang
12/23/2015, 11:33 PM
I'd go with a C. Solorensis!!
I love mine, even though he's my only fish :)
He's eating out of my hand and I've had him for just barely a month

Completely reef safe, and cheap, I got mine for 25$

Dmorty217
12/24/2015, 08:10 AM
I have read conflicting results about yellow coris and shrimp, also are they copepod eaters?

It's a toss up with the shrimp and they will eat pods if available

hogfanreefer
12/24/2015, 09:07 AM
My choices would be a Lineatus fairy,a lineopunctatus flasher and a yellow fin flasher. One expensive and two inexpensive. If money is no object I would substitute a diamond tail flasher for the lineopunctatus.

Yellow wrasses are great but can get pretty big. Mine pushing 6". He has not bothered any of my shrimp or snails. I've had him about 3 years.

m0nkie
12/24/2015, 09:39 AM

They pretty much all snack on pods. Ive had my yellow corris for 3 yrs. Never picked at my shrimps. My flames, yellow corris, and a few other wrasses all picked on pods.

gone fishin
12/24/2015, 10:00 AM
I would suggest exquisite, solon, temmincki fairy wrasse's. I have these three in my tank with some others and they get on pretty well.

Martini5788
12/24/2015, 10:07 AM
I figured as much about the pods, I just wanted to confirm. I thought I had read that but I haven't looked into individual wrasses in awhile

hogfanreefer
12/24/2015, 01:39 PM
IMO experience fairy and flashers eat out of the water column primarily and aren't much impact on pod populations. Halichoeres and leopards on the other hand are constantly hunting for pods and aren't compatible with dragonets or other pod dependant species.

Martini5788
12/24/2015, 04:33 PM
IMO experience fairy and flashers eat out of the water column primarily and aren't much impact on pod populations. Halichoeres and leopards on the other hand are constantly hunting for pods and aren't compatible with dragonets or other pod dependant species.

I have always wanted a mandarin, it's
One of the fish that got me into the hobby. Which is the main reason I have hesitated to get wrasses in the past.

gone fishin
12/24/2015, 05:31 PM
FWIW I traded my mandy when I started getting wrasses. I don't see nearly as many now.

Martini5788
12/24/2015, 06:41 PM
Is the general consensus that I should avoid wrasse entirely for the time being if I am still considering a mandy? That was my plan, either or not both, but I want to confirm. I also wanted to see the options that are recommended before I completely rule wrasse out.
Everything that I have ever read is that mandarins are incredibly difficult, and while some people may not be emotionally affected it a fish dies, I know that I will. I chalk it up to being a female, animal lover, and veterinary technician( where it is my job to save lives)

gone fishin
12/24/2015, 06:49 PM
Just my opinion but I would not mix a mandy and a wrasse together. I had my mandy for 2 years and was really great to watch. I did stress a bit over the pod population keeping up. I also stressed over new additions because of the mandy.

I cannot say with certainty if I had kept my mandy with all the wrasses if it would have starved. But, I am inclined to think it would of had a hard time competing at the very least. Personally If I ever wanted another one I would set up a tank centered around them. Good luck on your choice.

Martini5788
12/24/2015, 07:17 PM
Just my opinion but I would not mix a mandy and a wrasse together. I had my mandy for 2 years and was really great to watch. I did stress a bit over the pod population keeping up. I also stressed over new additions because of the mandy.

I cannot say with certainty if I had kept my mandy with all the wrasses if it would have starved. But, I am inclined to think it would of had a hard time competing at the very least. Personally If I ever wanted another one I would set up a tank centered around them. Good luck on your choice.
The tank mates will include a percula pair, starry blenny, chromis (I have these). Also want yellow head jawfish, midas blenny, valentini puffer, royal gramma, yasha goby (maybe) with pistol shrimp, flame angel, tomini tang, Kole tang. Obviously not all of those, just the considered stocking.

gone fishin
12/24/2015, 07:27 PM
The tank mates will include a percula pair, starry blenny, chromis (I have these). Also want yellow head jawfish, midas blenny, valentini puffer, royal gramma, yasha goby (maybe) with pistol shrimp, flame angel, tomini tang, Kole tang. Obviously not all of those, just the considered stocking.

With that list I would not anticipate any competition issues. With that being said I assume that most fish will grab the occasinal easy pod snack if available.

CoralsAddiction
12/24/2015, 07:42 PM
I realize that this is personal preference and that not everyone has the same take on wrasses...but to me 3 wrasses=more fun than one mandy. Not only are they more active and colorful than mandarins but also wrasses will eat almost anything. Some of my wrasses would eat Nori sheets. But whatever floats your boat :)
No judgment here

Martini5788
12/24/2015, 07:56 PM
I realize that this is personal preference and that not everyone has the same take on wrasses...but to me 3 wrasses=more fun than one mandy. Not only are they more active and colorful than mandarins but also wrasses will eat almost anything. Some of my wrasses would eat Nori sheets. But whatever floats your boat :)
No judgment here

See I had never really considered wrasses until getting on here. Mandarins got me into the hobby in the first place. But due to their difficult nature and feeding habits, I have yet to get one. All the wrasses I have seen at the stores I have been to are reclusive, hiding, and dull colorations compared to pictures. I have never actually seen how they behave in a tank that they are accustomed to. Based on the stuff I read on here, it makes me want wrasses. I'm sure if I got them I would
Love them, but without the personal experience it's hard to pick one. Honestly, I am leaning a bit towards the wrasse grouping but I'm still torn

gone fishin
12/24/2015, 08:06 PM
Once all my wrasses have got used to the tank they are out and about cruising the rock. The colors also seem to brighten up as well.

FWIW these are the wrasse I have. A Vanuatu exquisite, temmenicki, naokis, red velvet, pink margin, gray head, solon fairy

Martini5788
12/24/2015, 09:04 PM
Once all my wrasses have got used to the tank they are out and about cruising the rock. The colors also seem to brighten up as well.

FWIW these are the wrasse I have. A Vanuatu exquisite, temmenicki, naokis, red velvet, pink margin, gray head, solon fairy

So would you choose wrasse over mandarin? I'm assuming so since you switched

twon8
12/24/2015, 09:25 PM
See I had never really considered wrasses until getting on here. Mandarins got me into the hobby in the first place. But due to their difficult nature and feeding habits, I have yet to get one. All the wrasses I have seen at the stores I have been to are reclusive, hiding, and dull colorations compared to pictures. I have never actually seen how they behave in a tank that they are accustomed to. Based on the stuff I read on here, it makes me want wrasses. I'm sure if I got them I would
Love them, but without the personal experience it's hard to pick one. Honestly, I am leaning a bit towards the wrasse grouping but I'm still torn

Fish act very differently in store tanks than they do once in a tank for a few days.

Dkuhlmann
12/25/2015, 04:47 AM
I had a beautiful mandy years ago when I first got into saltwater. It was a beautiful fish but IMO and IME they're hard to deal with. IMO keep your love and appreciation of them as it is, just in your minds eye and keep it there.

The good thing about flasher wrasses is that you can get several males of different species and they will flash most of the time and will not actually fight to kill each other. They're very colorful and out and about all the time as soon as the lights are on until the go off. They also will eat anything you feed them.

What you see here in pictures and hear is what wrasses are and do once acclimated to your tank. This doesn't take very long either. They brighten up color wise with feeding good quality foods. I too would take 3 flasher wrasses of different species over one mandy any day!

Also do not treat wrasses with copper if you do get them. Use the TTM instead along with PraziPro. Just make sure they're eating well for a while before you do any treatments

gone fishin
12/25/2015, 05:24 AM
So would you choose wrasse over mandarin? I'm assuming so since you switched

At this point I would opt for some wrasse's over a Mandy. Both have pretty coloring. But the wrasse are more active. When I watch the tank It does not take long to spot all of them swimming around. The mandy on the other hand seems like it would get lost in the tank. Also there is less upkeep with the wrasses, IE food source.

pyithar
12/25/2015, 08:07 AM
At this point I would opt for some wrasse's over a Mandy. Both have pretty coloring. But the wrasse are more active. When I watch the tank It does not take long to spot all of them swimming around. The mandy on the other hand seems like it would get lost in the tank. Also there is less upkeep with the wrasses, IE food source.

exactly my thoughts. that's why i chose wrasses over mandy even though mandy is one of my favorites.

eatbreakfast
12/25/2015, 09:42 AM
A mandarin is perfectly compatible with fairy and flasher wrasses. Fairy and flasher wrasses are ill equipped to pick at pods on the rocks, they can on occasion, but physiologically unable to put any sort of pressure on a pod population. Halichoeres and leopard wrasses on the other hand are adept at picking at pods and can outcompete a mandarin.

Most fairy and flashers can be mixed. Some of my favorite 'budget' wrasses include flavianalis and filamentosus flashers, as well solorensis, lubbocki, exquisitus fairies.