PDA

View Full Version : My new 40L nano reef set up

EI Gringo
12/24/2015, 03:42 AM
So as a present to my sister I have turned into a back of the tank sumped aquarium.
Back section has 2 baffles, water falls down through a weir comb and through sponge media then carbon and ceramic media and then sponge again. It then flows up into a section with an air driven skimmer and then past that into an overflow where the water passes a heater and then meets the return pump. Lighting is a superbright 7 watt LED white light.

Inhabitants will be a g.smithii mantis, 2 percula clowns, a mixed clean up crew and then various small verts and inverts for example a pistol goby pair perhaps and a big serpent star.

Here's some pics so far!

I started with clear acrylic and then coated it in black silicone and textured it and coated it in sand to make it more realistic looking. All of the media and equipment fits into a space of 5.7 cm deep, 37 cm tall and 24 cm wide.

What are your thoughts guys? And ofcourse merry Christmas :)

carmelpi
12/24/2015, 07:41 PM
nice :)

EI Gringo
12/29/2015, 08:48 AM
Some more pictures with all the inhabitants now added,
2 ocellaris clowns, 3 svenops mollies (all fish adolescents) 1 peppermint shrimp and will be adding more variety of cleaner shrimps I.e. Skunks, 1 g.smithii, a host of clibanarius hermits 10 or so, 2 turbo snails, 1 sand sifting star and may add other stars and then a dozen feeder shrimps just to keep the mantis satisfied, he is happily accepting frozen whole mussel

nmotz
12/29/2015, 02:06 PM
Interesting project, I do think you'll lose some of the inverts that you're planning to house with the Smithii but it'll be interesting to see if he can tolerate some of his tank companions.

Optic
12/29/2015, 04:23 PM
Nice mantis mate, are you planning to do any videos?

EI Gringo
12/30/2015, 12:46 AM
I've kept this mantis for many months and he has grown very tame, I expect that a hermit here or there could disappear but for the most part there shouldn't be too much fighting. Not planning on doing any videos but I'll do updates on this tank in the future :) it's round my sisters house so I won't often see it

nmotz
12/30/2015, 11:14 AM
The pistol-goby pair might cause some problems. Any substrate dwellers will be more likely to have conflict with the Smithii. But it might make for some interesting viewing nonetheless!

EI Gringo
12/31/2015, 02:33 AM
I actually think a pistol and a goby would be ok presuming they live under the main rockwork and the mantis lives In its u shaped pvc, I can't see it hunting under rocks for a not very filling dinner when there's a skewer with mussel entering the tank every other day and little defenceless shrimp blundering around, we'll see soon enough! :P

Calappidae
01/01/2016, 02:27 PM
Pistol and mantis shrimp don't mix period, that is a combo not even worth trying.

G. smithii's roam a lot, and they will inflitrate any corners, including the burrow, not to mention the pistol snapping would gain it's attention. To say the least it's only a show you're staging there.

I remember Dr. caldwell said something awhile back when the pistol vs. mantis debates were hot, that a mantis was shot to the face and died immidiately, but I cannot back this up as ime pistols are pretty harmless. I also don't know what those conditions were, staged, wild, or captivity nor do I know species specifics.

nmotz
01/01/2016, 09:24 PM
Pistol and mantis shrimp don't mix period, that is a combo not even worth trying.

G. smithii's roam a lot, and they will inflitrate any corners, including the burrow, not to mention the pistol snapping would gain it's attention. To say the least it's only a show you're staging there.

I remember Dr. caldwell said something awhile back when the pistol vs. mantis debates were hot, that a mantis was shot to the face and died immidiately, but I cannot back this up as ime pistols are pretty harmless. I also don't know what those conditions were, staged, wild, or captivity nor do I know species specifics.

I once tried to keep a 2.5" Caribbean pistol with a 5" Peacock mantis and that didn't work. After about 4 weeks or so, the Peacock flushed him out from under a rock and chased him around the tank for a while before catching him. The Peacock was heavily armored enough to take 3-4 loud shots from the pistol before he killed it with one good strike to the head. Peacock seemed fine afterwards. Long story short, benthic invertebrates are going to eventually become targets for a mantis IMHO.