PDA

View Full Version : Going to try again...

carmelpi
12/24/2015, 08:49 PM
So, I've decided that I'm going to try again. Not with a peacock, though. Much as I loved Ripley - peacocks were never my first choice. Big, beautiful, and fragile. I want to get a G. smithii. Now that I have hammered out all of the issues that we had with the tank and Ripley I think I will be ready to add another mantis in the next few months. The water has been stable for quite some time and I'm seeing good growth in my macro algae and corals (I have a torch that has popped out 7-8 heads in about 2 months)

However, we decided to go ahead and add some fish to keep our future girl (or boy) company. I just hope that my choices in fish aren't going to be an issue. Right now we have two with one more that we want to add.

Tailspot blenny (not worried - if there is a problem into the sump he goes!)

Melanarus wrasse

and finally a dwarf angel (probably a cherub angel).

With the G. smithii do you think these will be an issue? The wrasse is still only about 2 - 2 1/2 inches long and the blenny is about 1 1/2 inches.

EI Gringo
12/25/2015, 06:43 AM
G smithii should be fine, check the post I made about a new 40L nano reef, it's for a g smithii plus others to compare our stocking thoughts :)

nmotz
12/27/2015, 10:09 AM
Any fish can become a potential target, but usually the smaller mantis species don't bother them. It's Peacocks you have to worry about usually, and even they will sometimes tolerate fish.

Martini5788
12/28/2015, 06:34 PM
While I still have a six line wrasse in my mantis tank, even though xena died, I would be worried about a melanurus that gets significantly larger and are well known shrimp eaters. Before you add a mantis, I would add like a peppermint shrimp or another small shrimp and see what the wrasse does. Just to be safe.

Martini5788
12/28/2015, 06:37 PM
But just to be clear, I never had any issues from the 6 line. Her and xena actually hunted cuc together. wrasse would swim in front of her burrow to get her attention and xena would come out
And follow the wrasse to the critters location. It
Was probably the weirdest'semi symbiotic' I have ever seen. Well except for my starry blenny being best friends with my golden dwarf moray. Blenny has yet to forgive me for selling the eel.