PDA

View Full Version : Whole home RODI systems?

dismayed
12/25/2015, 09:47 AM
Currently I make my own saltwater using a Typhoon III RODI system I bought several years ago. Seems to work great.

The water quality in my hometown is terrible... It's safe to drink but tastes gross. I've been considering having Culligan or someone like that come out and outfit my house with a drinking water RODI system. I think they even have very large units you can put the entire house on.

So my question is, if I ended up doing something like this, would the water quality be good enough that I could stop using my Typhoon for my aquarium and just use "tap" water for the tank?

Anyone doing something similar? Thanks.

shifty51008
12/25/2015, 09:52 AM
Give Russ at buckeyehydro a call and he can answer everything you need.

Btw i can see a whole house ro system but not a rodi system so you would have to have a seperate area for the ro water to go through the di stage.

Also if any of your lines in your house are copper you will be posining your tank running water from the tap

seamonster124
12/25/2015, 09:57 AM
Currently I make my own saltwater using a Typhoon III RODI system I bought several years ago. Seems to work great.

The water quality in my hometown is terrible... It's safe to drink but tastes gross. I've been considering having Culligan or someone like that come out and outfit my house with a drinking water RODI system. I think they even have very large units you can put the entire house on.

So my question is, if I ended up doing something like this, would the water quality be good enough that I could stop using my Typhoon for my aquarium and just use "tap" water for the tank?

Have you thought about using tap water filters instead of RO/DI for the whole house? I'd imagine RO/DI for the whole house would be very wasteful.

Dmorty217
12/25/2015, 10:19 AM

Problem with using this for drinking and also tank water will be you will blow thru DI quickly and it will cost you some $$. There are places you can buy 55g drums of DI from but again it's a little pricey. Also the bigger the unit, the more the sediment filters will cost to replace and the more membranes that will be on the unit. Russ built me one that will do 250gpd with a booster pump and cost me under 400$ but a whole house one will involve more filters than what I have. The GPD that you're trying to produce is another thing to think about... The higher the GPD the more it will cost you

heathlindner25
12/25/2015, 02:23 PM
You don't want to drink water that's been run through di resin. You want calcium and fluoride and other minerals in the water or your teeth might fall out..lol

DDon
12/25/2015, 03:03 PM
They make whole house RO systems, which consist of appropriately sized RO, a storage tank for RO water and a repressure pump. You would still need a separate DI canister for the aquarium water. As has already been mentioned, you don't want DI water for drinking.

dismayed
12/25/2015, 08:09 PM
Ok. Was a bad idea. I may still get an RO system for the house for drinking, but I'll keep using my aquarium RODI system. Thanks for all the good points.

heathlindner25
12/25/2015, 08:12 PM
They make whole house RO systems, which consist of appropriately sized RO, a storage tank for RO water and a repressure pump. You would still need a separate DI canister for the aquarium water. As has already been mentioned, you don't want DI water for drinking.

+1 ... they make great whole house filtration systems, you just don't want to use di resin